Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cats + neighbours + nighttime = notes on doors

dtbmnec
August 14th, 2006, 02:09 PM
About a week or so ago we got a note on the door saying that the neighbours downstairs could hear all sorts of noises from our apartment at all hours of the night (heavy feet, sounds like we're moving furniture, etc.) and that it would keep waking them up. Ok fine, we've had friends over till all hours so we figured it was them (they were causing the noise) so we've instituted a rule that no one stays later than midnightish (unless they stay the night in which case super quiet after midnight). So far so good. No more notes on the door (and hopefully no more) however we're still worried. I'd rather not make enemies of our neighbours.

Our kitties are most active at night (duh!) and they're becoming quite misbehaved. They're getting up onto stuff that they shouldn't be and knocking stuff over all the time. Most recently they knocked over my floor fan in the bedroom, they tossed my keyboard off my desk onto the floor in the middle of the night (I STILL can't find six of the snap out keys), they get up on top of the TV/our shelving units, and they've knocked over several heavy books (that were put up "out of reach") onto the floor. This is not to mention all the chewing of other stuff and things like that too! They really are turning into the little demons I claim they are!

It's getting to the point where we're going to have to find some way of containing them or we're gonna have to start packing up our house just so the cats don't get at it! Our shelving units are perfect for the cats to get up/down them and eventually they'll get up to the top of them I'm sure (its practically a ladder kind of deal) so there's really no way to keep stuff away from them! :frustrated: I'm afraid they're going to break stuff or we'll get kicked out of here because of the cats. The landlord's now stated that there isn't to be any pets anymore (they can't do anything about the ones already in the building) however if the cats make enough noise at night I'm sure they could kick us out (especially because of the new rule).:frustrated:

The boys are being snipped on the 22nd and hopefully they'll become a little easier to handle afterwards but I'm not counting on that as a solution.

Megan

dogcatharmony
August 14th, 2006, 02:46 PM
i remember those days..........kittens will be kittens. when mine were little ( they are nine yrs now and still full of beans when they want to be lol) i would set an hour before bedtime just for them........play all sorts of games with them and try to tire them out.........i would have to say that getting my male neutered made him slow down some but the spayed female is still as wacky as she was then. but the funny thing about cats is they really do what they want and i know thats why i love mine. with age i found they didnt get into so much as they used to but they still have their battle royal every day...and then sleep 10 hours lol. i wish u luck with your furbabies........and i dont think u can get kicked out of your apartment because of the new rule..i lived in an apartment that did the same and alot of people had barking dogs not lively cats and nothing happened to them.

jessi76
August 14th, 2006, 02:47 PM
It's getting to the point where we're going to have to find some way of containing them or we're gonna have to start packing up our house just so the cats don't get at it! Our shelving units are perfect for the cats to get up/down them and eventually they'll get up to the top of them I'm sure (its practically a ladder kind of deal) so there's really no way to keep stuff away from them!

Megan, I replied to your other thread about ways to keep cats out of things. Did you see it? Have you tried any solutions given? Double sided tape, citrus rinds, towels, etc... all help to really kitty-proof a home. (double sided tape on shelving, counters, tables, etc... citrus rinds in floor plants, lay sheets of tin foil on couches, double sided tape on window pane ledges, cover shelving w/ fabric slipcovers that are velcro'd in place on all FOUR sides, etc.. I could go on and on.)

You CAN keep things from them. I have no doubt you ARE smarter than them. Put a big empty cardboard box over your computer & accessories (keyboard/mouse, etc...). close doors to rooms. leave things out FOR them to play with. (soft QUIET toys. no bells. my cats LOVE tinfoil balls, the pull tabs from cream or milk jugs, the pop tops from milk jugs, soda bottle caps, etc...)

I often made my cats little cheap condo's... out of cardboard boxes! make them a fun room filled w/ boxes, tunnels, and quiet toys.

you're smarter than your cats.

rainbow
August 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Wow, excellent tips Jessi76 !!! :thumbs up

dtbmnec
August 14th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Megan, I replied to your other thread about ways to keep cats out of things. Did you see it? Have you tried any solutions given? Double sided tape, citrus rinds, towels, etc... all help to really kitty-proof a home. (double sided tape on shelving, counters, tables, etc... citrus rinds in floor plants, lay sheets of tin foil on couches, double sided tape on window pane ledges, cover shelving w/ fabric slipcovers that are velcro'd in place on all FOUR sides, etc.. I could go on and on.)

You CAN keep things from them. I have no doubt you ARE smarter than them. Put a big empty cardboard box over your computer & accessories (keyboard/mouse, etc...). close doors to rooms. leave things out FOR them to play with. (soft QUIET toys. no bells. my cats LOVE tinfoil balls, the pull tabs from cream or milk jugs, the pop tops from milk jugs, soda bottle caps, etc...)

I often made my cats little cheap condo's... out of cardboard boxes! make them a fun room filled w/ boxes, tunnels, and quiet toys.

you're smarter than your cats.

Heh we've tried getting them toys but they all seem to have gone the way of my missing keys....disappeared into never never land heh. When I got the little buggers I bought three catnip mice, none of which can be found so I bought three more, gone....bought some dingly balls, off to never never land again....bought them about three or four fishing toys, all of which have been destroyed....bought them three catnip balls, all that remains of the golden one is little bits of it strewn about the floors, the other two I'm not sure where they went....tinfoil they won't touch (go figure)....bought them a larger scratch post and they won't touch it (but my friend's kitten loves it!)....*sigh* I'm not sure what else to buy them (and since I don't know where they've hidden them, I can't figure out how big to buy them stuff so it doesn't get lost wherever).:frustrated: Maybe its payback for getting el-cheapo toys....I'm sure they've planned it :p.

They need to have the run of the house because we have a really open kitchen/living room (no doors). We're gonna have to go out and find some super cheap doublesided tape for these guys. Its really just the shelving units we have that are the problem (I know I don't care about the couches/chairs). Once we can keep them off of there, then the wires and things won't be such an issue (its where we keep all our stuff period, including X-Box and controllers). The only serious issue is the shelving units, and once we break them of that I don't have to worry so much. :)

Oh and while the PC is hooked up they don't touch the keyboard but its not right now (still lazy and haven't put it together again from last week) and the keyboard was on the shelving units. We used to have issues with the mouse being tossed off the desk but they've found other ways to make trouble obviously (*rueful smile*)....silly kitties. As far as the bedroom goes, we try to keep them out of there with my allergies and all (still not confirmed, but I'll find out next month). I've made them a cheap little condo, but they knock it over so much at night that it makes too much noise for the people below us. I think they're over-reacting a bit anyway...and Arron's doing the same (said something about caging the guys at night....over my dead body!).

Shelving units + kitties = :frustrated: Megan and Arron
Playful + kitties = :cloud9: Megan and Arron

Megan

P.S. They still make milk jugs? O.o

P.P.S. The cats have also learned that if they make knocking noises on the floor/walls that mommy will run to the door for it.....little demons! Whenever I don't want them to escape to the outside, they come to the door (resulting in tails being stepped on when I bring home groceries) but when I want them to go out (on the leash) they don't want to budge...buggers.

Brat
August 14th, 2006, 08:54 PM
wow sounds like my 3 boys. Oldest is a year old and the youngest two are 8 months.

There are INSANE when midnight comes around. I've tried everything.. I made them a little house out of a cardboard box. They have destroyed it in one week. There is bits and pieces of cardboard all over my apartment. I had to vacuum and throw it out today hehe.. I need some sort of metal box from them that I could pad with pillows and blankets.

They climb my counters, they scratch my walls...ahhhhhhh!! I let them on the balcony sometimes and I always find one lounging in my flower pot on TOP of my flowers.

Night time is absolutely nuts though. I try playing with them but they would rather run after eachother. It sounds like elephants are running through my apartment. You would never picture three little cute kitty cats!

Good luck! If you find anything that works, let me know! hehe

edit: oh and worst of all, my cats assist my dog in destroying things. The house is as dog proofed as can be. It's also cat proofed but since the cats have access to more things, i cant hide everything. They will climb on the desk for example, they threw down the mouse and the dog ate it. Same with some fish food that they tossed off the counter. Dog got it, ate it. It's allllll planned out between them I'm sure!!

rainbow
August 14th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Both of you need to try the double-sided tape. :D

jiorji
August 15th, 2006, 01:56 AM
heheheheeh

i'm afraid there's nothing to do until they get into adulthood. ahhh kittens :)

My cats are 1ish and almost 2 and they still chase each other but it would help by keeping them off furniture by blocking the "negative space" on which they could climb on to get to the top. And maybe move things that are easily thrown off the tables.

I think I have the only cats in the world that don't climb all the way up on my wall units.:confused: I wonder why. I can't be THAT good at blocking off their climbing possibilities.

BUt since you're a cat owner you now have to understand that it's your neighbours' fault for living below you, not the cats' overly active behaviour :evil: So next time they complain, kindly explain to them how a cat's mind works lol

dtbmnec
August 15th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Well I'm off tomorrow to go on Mission Impossible: finding double sided tape...this could be fun...Or it could just mean that I'm out of luck and need to break out the crazy super technological stuff...you know with motion sensors and stuff? Hehehe...

*cries* if only motion sensors were that easy to get...hmmm neighbours got one or two...doubt they need them ;)

Megan

P.S. for the third night in a row I've gotten up at liek 3am to find out that there is a CAT watching me go to the bathroom from the bathroom sink! O.o The sink!? the thing that gets them wet! they don't like wet! :confused: Explains why the sink is so dirty all the time....:cat:

jiorji
August 15th, 2006, 04:05 PM
the mysteries of catness...hehe

stop trying to figure them out. You won't succeed. Good luck on the double sided tape. They most likely won't calm down until they're a bit older

When my parents come to visit and stay over one of my cats insists on following them into the bathroom and won't leave unless they leave. So if you stay over you have to get used to a cat watching you pee :o

SOme cats like bathroom sinks because they keep them cool. That can be the only reasonable explanation.