Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Reducing litter smell

kittykate
August 14th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Hi,

We have a visitor coming from out of town who is not used to cats. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to decrease the amount of cat smell coming from the litter box. We are used to this smell but a bit worried that our visitor will be put off. We do have air fresheners but I am a bit paranoid about the whole thing!

Skryker
August 14th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Arm and Hammer makes a litter box freshener that works well-you sprinkle it on the bottom before you fill it, and mix more in everytime you scoop. Or baking soda works well, too. Use a multicat formula even if you only have one cat. Scoop daily-at least!

I have the litter box in my bedroom, so you can imagine I fight the fight against odor all the time!;)

If you have enough time before your visitor arrives, you could try switching to a high quality food (see the food thread for ideas if you are not already using one) as that will decrease the size, amount and smell of the poop. The ammonia smell, well, scoop. scoop, scoop!

jessi76
August 14th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I know I've posted this a few other times, but here it is again... my tried & true baking soda litter boxes:

deep clean the box:
throw out current litter in box. cover bottom of box w/ baking soda, then pour in HOT (STEAMING HOT!) water. mix it around... it will fizz. Scrub box WELL. rinse. let dry in the sun. (I wear rubber gloves, and use old scrubby sponges that can be thrown away)

Once it's dry... put a one to two inch layer of baking soda in bottom of box, then put your usual kitty litter right on top of the baking soda. As the cats use the box, and they scratch, it will mix the baking soda into the litter.

Baking soda is great for eliminating odors. You can buy a large box of baking soda at any grocery store.

I hope this helps. I find it best to neutralize the odors, rather than just covering them up w/ air fresheners.

ETA: I like the Arm & Hammer litter, but I find it doesn't have enough baking soda in it to do the job. Using a layer of real baking soda makes a HUGE difference.

kittykate
August 14th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Thankyou! I saw the arm and hammer kitty litter but have not tried it yet. We feed our little guy Eagle Pack and Merricks and I definitely clean out the litter daily for him, I am pretty crazy about that! I am sure it doesn't actually smell as bad as I think it does!

Skryker
August 14th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Probably doesn't, but I am always paranoid that my nose is just desensitized and I don't notice it anymore! :D My brother has 3 cats and can't smell cat pee no matter how strong it is. :eek:

I'll have to try the baking soda deep clean, jessi. I use super hot water and scrub like crazy b/c I don't want to use a cleaner that might leave a residue. I feel kinda silly that I never used baking soda to clean with when I use baking soda in the litter! Thanks! :thumbs up

ShaggyRudy
October 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Hi all -
I've been looking for a litter box smell solution for quite some time now! I've never tried baking soda! Dumb question but, is it safe? Of course I'm assuming that it is, but has anyone ever researched it or asked a vet or anything? So if my weird cat decides to eat some of it, it's not an issue, right?

mona_b
October 12th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Arm and Hammer makes a litter box freshener that works well-you sprinkle it on the bottom before you fill it, and mix more in everytime you scoop.

This is what I use..And I find it does a great job.And since I have 2 cats,I also use the Maxx litter for more than one cat.

jessi76
October 12th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I've never tried baking soda! Dumb question but, is it safe? Of course I'm assuming that it is, but has anyone ever researched it or asked a vet or anything? So if my weird cat decides to eat some of it, it's not an issue, right?

Baking soda is for BAKING - it's edible. it's safe if accidentally ingested. (btw, no questions are EVER dumb!)

jiorji
October 12th, 2006, 10:47 AM
not everything used for baking is safe for an animal. Chocolate isn't.

But baking soda should be ok. It says on the box you can use it in litter boxes

jessi76
October 12th, 2006, 10:59 AM
never said everything used for baking is safe. simply that baking soda is an edible item, and safe if accidentally ingested. baking soda can also be used to clean teeth - my mom uses it to make a paste to brush her dog's teeth with. it's a great multipurpose item. cleaning, cooking, and odor neutralizing.

SarahLynn123
October 12th, 2006, 04:16 PM
We use baking soda, but we also throw a few handfulls of the pine kitty litter on top (it's just pellets of pine) and it makes the whole room smell nice!!!!

PetFriendly
October 12th, 2006, 05:16 PM
We find that anything advertised for multiple cats and clumping works well to keep the smell down, as does the wheat filler we are currently using. We also use the Arm & Hammer stuff and totally empty all the litter (we use clumping) once a month.

H.P.
October 13th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Hi! Since I started useing the pine litter my family always comments that my house does not smell like a cat lives there (they are not cat people):fingerscr

BCArlene
October 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM
The pine pellet litter - also found as stall bedding - is virtually odor free. Some cats don't like it (but some go nuts over the outdoorsy small) but you could try mixing a small amount in your regular litter to start as mentioned previously.

nansel
October 19th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I can attest to the method of baking soda and Maxx Cat for multiple cats. When we got our two rescue boys as six month olds, they both had coccidia problems, which took a couple of months to go away. Now that's some nasty litter. I tried different things, and baking soda and a good clumping litter (I liked Maxx Cat, it clumps really hard and is easy to clean out totally) worked the best for us.