Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Catfur ornament from China

chico2
August 14th, 2006, 08:07 AM
My son and his GF are visiting from Alberta and they innocently bought me these 2 cute little kitty-ornaments(made in China)..knowing how much I love cats.
I know for a fact these are made from real cat-fur,not"rabbit"as the storeowners like to inform us,part of Chinas horrific dealings in cat/dog fur.
I myself would never,ever have bought them,but I did not tell my son that...
These are small,but there are almost lifesized ones in giftshops,flowershops etc...:evil:

happycats
August 14th, 2006, 10:15 AM
OMG Chico, I saw ones just like it at a flea market a couple of weeks ago, in many "cat" colours including the life size ones!
I started commenting out loud, that they were made of cat fur, people around me were shocked, and the vendor said "oh no, it's dyed rabbit fur" I said "look very close everyone, there is no way anyone could do a dye job that perfect, it's cat fur!!! The vendor got angry, but at least many around us got educated:D
Can someone please tell me why Canada allows this??

chico2
August 14th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Happycats,one of the reasons is our BIG business-dealings with China cheap labor,cheap products etc..,but mostly because China and Russia are our biggest importers of our seal-fur and other furs.

chico2
August 14th, 2006, 11:50 AM
You can read about it here!!

Can't stop import of cat and dog fur
Feb. 10, 2006. 01:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imported cat and dog fur

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently wrote to the office of the former prime minister expressing my concern that increased trade with China might result in the importation of items made from dog or cat fur. I suggested that Canada should step up to the plate with a ban on the importation of such products, similar to the one enacted y the United States in 2002.

I was quite astonished by the reply I received from the then minister of international trade. After a lengthy preamble explaining the importance of the fur trade to Canada's economy, he said this: "Trade rules oblige Canada to treat foreign and domestic products on an equivalent basis. Thus, were a ban on imports into Canada of cat and dog fur products to be contemplated, there would also need to be a prohibition on the domestic sale, offering for sale, manufacture, transportation and distribution of dog and cat fur in Canada."

And so it seems that we cannot implement a ban on the import of foreign dog and cat fur products because it might harm our domestic trade in these items. Unbelievable. I wonder how many of your readers know that such a disgusting trade is allowed to exist quite legally here in Canada.

Margaret Bergshoeff, Markham

Get great home delivery subscription deals here!

Previous Story
Print Story
E-mail Story

> Advertisement <