Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stay at home Mom no more!

Melei'sMom
August 13th, 2006, 07:50 PM
As a few of you know, my hubby opened a new business and I was working there. Having joined the workforce for the first time in over 10 years!

Well, as you well know, new businesses don't make alot of money for a while, so inorder to keep the bills paid, I have now ventured out and found a job.

I am now the part time night auditor at a local hotel. Went in to apply for a housekeeping job and got NA instead! and if I want more shifts I can have 2-3 shifts on the front desk days. Haven't decided on that yet. Am thinking of finding another pt night job elsewhere to keep my scedule semi sane. but am still going to the new shop every Sat. to do the books and paperwork.

I am gaining a new respect for career moms. this is hard! :eek:

Skryker
August 13th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Congrats! As a veteran night shifter, if you are working 11-7am or something similar, I'd advise you to look for PT nights elsewhere. It's really hard on your system to switch about, especially to go back and forth quickly. Days to nights and back within a single week is a killer.

mummummum
August 13th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Well done and I hope the DH is VERY appreciative! (Not everything romantic costs $$$$ hehe). I agree with trying to keep your paid-work hours consistent. When I was in Uni I work 11-7 but occasionally tried to work the odd day shift on weekends and those almost killed me. Even a 1-9 is easier. I'm not sure if this is up your alley or is needed in your community but I do know that providing evening shift/overnight childcare for women who work is always lacking in the larger centres or areas where there are 24-7 factories. Again - good for you!

LibbyP
August 13th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Ya Hoo good for you:thumbs up , I agree with everyone else stick to same shifts, my hubby changes every couple of days and it just blows my mind and his on how hard it is to re-adjust to a 'normal' life. I also am a SAHM right now and I'm starting to count down(4yrs) to when I go back out into the work field, very scary:o I'll cross that bridge when it comes

Melei'sMom
August 14th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Thank you for the advice. :) I think you are right, so I made a list of all the places around here that are open all night or may have night positions. Not alot as we are a suburb, not a major center, but I have a list and on Friday, when I am done for this week, I am going to start hitting those places and see if anyone has an opening for me. :fingerscr I am hopeful, as there are tons of jobs available with this labour shortage here.

:ca:

OntarioGreys
August 16th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Well done and I hope the DH is VERY appreciative! (Not everything romantic costs $$$$ hehe). I agree with trying to keep your paid-work hours consistent. When I was in Uni I work 11-7 but occasionally tried to work the odd day shift on weekends and those almost killed me. Even a 1-9 is easier. I'm not sure if this is up your alley or is needed in your community but I do know that providing evening shift/overnight childcare for women who work is always lacking in the larger centres or areas where there are 24-7 factories. Again - good for you!

Even in larger centers most day cares have operational hours cater to the office worker rather than the factory worker, most do not open earlier enough to be of use to the factory worker, they tend to have to hire private sitters or family

Brandy101bbb
August 19th, 2006, 12:01 PM
congrats on the new job. I have been to school but i have a 3 yr old and a 3 mth old so I have'nt ventured out yet, I want to be here untill they are both in school and then maybe I will get to talk to adults and not toddlers LOL!