Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost Cat

Winston's Human
August 13th, 2006, 05:33 PM
HI all. New user, first post. I am unsure where this post belongs so I will type it here and I can be directed where I should have put it or where I should be seeking advice.

I am looking for stories of lost cats returning on their own, being found etc, and time frames for such. My cat, Winston, went missing last Tuesday and I am devestated. He is 9 years old, has a sister Pandora (they were in the same litter). I live in a secluded part of Fort McMurray, next to no traffic but some. Winston went out as usual around 10 pm. At 1 am when I called him to come in he didn't come. Winston always comes when I call him, I trained both him and his sister when they were kittens, as I wanted them home at night. Both love being outside, but Winston even more so. Anyways, I called him, no Winston. I looked for him, nadda. I drove around and then came home because when he hears my truck he runs to greet me. That didn't work. This is only the second time he has not come home. The first time was when I first moved and I found him 4 blocks away at the home we moved from. I am surrounded by trees but there is little wildlife that ventures in, although its possible. Winston is friendly, loves ppl so its conceivable that someone stole him but seems unlikely due to the time of night and lack of traffic.

I have delievered flyers to every home in this part of town. I have posters up at bus stops, stores, an ad in the paper, a poster at the SPCA, posters at all the vet clinics. I have searched everywhere I can think on foot and in my truck. He was a happy cat, had tags on for his registration with the city and his rabies vaccination tags. He was healthy as well. He never strayed far from here.

Sorry for the long ramble, it just seems everyone keeps telling me and the mrs about "well my cat was gone for 2 weeks and came home" blah blah blah etc etc. I am looking for some hope I guess, a story of some reunion after it appeared that their cat was gone.

Winston's Human.

cpietra16
August 13th, 2006, 05:50 PM
If your cat was spooked for any reason, it might be possible that he won't come out until he feels safe. My cat went missing for a few days only to come home days later with a wound...your cat might have gotten hurt and doesn't feel like its safe to get home yet...I hope your cat finds his way home. Good luck
Cats don't get lost, especially if they know the area...give him time

Winston's Human
August 13th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Ty CP. It's been 5 days now so I'm not encouraged but stories like yours help. Why would he not want to come home if it was hurt? You'd think he'd want me to tend to him.

rainbow
August 14th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Any luck finding Winston? :fingerscr :fingerscr I presume, since you sound like wonderful loving parents, that he was neutered?

cpietra16
August 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM
WH..it's not that you can't tend to him, but a wounded cat is an easy target for a predator. As it happened my cat was just across the ravine and yet it didn't come out or cry until she felt safe enough to show herself...walk around at dusk with a can of tuna or his favorite treat he might be hungry enough to cry out when he hears your voice...good luck

badger
August 14th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I had a cat come back after more than a week; I think he had gone into someone's shed or garage for a nap and then got locked in. I went out every night and walked a wide perimeter (3-4 blocks) around my place, calling his name (although he doesn't always come when he hears it). In the end, he came back on his own, early one morning. I couldn't believe my eyes.
I really hope it is the same for you.
Talk to the people in your neighbourhood, maybe they don't look at posters. Hand them a picture and ask them to keep a lookout.
Post him on the internet, community billboards, etc.
Of course cats have been absent for much longer, and made it back safely. One woman wrote that her black cat had been gone for months and finally she decided to drop by the humane society and get another. One particular black cat literally threw himself on her, crying and crying. It was her cat. She didn't believe it until she took him home and he immediately lay in the same place and displayed all the same little behaviours.
So you are not allowed to give up yet, not by a long shot!

Winston's Human
August 15th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Winston is neutered and Pandora is spayed. I have tried all the suggestions on the net and things I could think of. I had a search party for two days walk up and down all the streets in my area (3 sq kms). I have walked with my wife, and each of us independently, calling out to him, listening etc. He never has ran to the sound of food so that isnt something that would work. I have spoken to all my neighbours (Winston knows them all and he is loved by them as well) the mail lady, garbage man and bus drivers.

Tonight is the the 7th day he has been gone and its devestating for both of us, including his sister who keeps trying to find him herself. Thx for the replies, Ill keep praying and searching....and hoping. Now a thunder storm is moving in and that makes it even harder knowing he might be out there somewhere.

chico2
August 15th, 2006, 07:03 AM
WH,sorry to hear Winston is not back yet:sad:
After reading all the posts I was hoping to read good news at the end..
One of my cats(Chico)was missing for only 2 hours,after he jumped my fence,I almost went totally frantic,so I can imagine how you feel.
On the other hand,a neighbors cat was missing 2 weeks,found only a few houses away where a lady had been feeding her.
The lady finally called Humane Society and since she was micro-chipped,they quickly found the owner.
:fingerscr :fingerscr for Winston to come home:fingerscr :fingerscr

happycats
August 15th, 2006, 07:28 AM
My MIL's cat "Katie" :rip: . went missing for a little over a year! She just re-appeared one day, walked right in, jumped on the couch and started cleaning herself like she was never gone!

My cats have escaped and gone missing for an hour or so, and I know I went nuts! So I understand how you feel.

Don't give up hope, keep searching, putting up posters, and talking to the neighbours.

I wish you the best of luck and hope Winston returns home soon :fingerscr :pray:

Golden Girls
August 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM
:fingerscr that Winston will make his way back home. I can't imagine how devastated you guys must be. Don't give up :pray:

Winston's Human
August 15th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Thank you all for your support. He is tagged by not tatted. My reasoning was if he ever got lost, ppl would notice the tags vs having none and maybe more motivated to turn him in. With the tags, my assumption was ppl would know he was a cared for cat and not a stray. Just got back from another search and a trip to the SPCA and nadda. Day 8 - double blah.

rainbow
August 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM
WH, when you went out searching, did you look up in trees, etc.? That's where a neighbour of mine once found her cat.

:fingerscr :pray: for Winston's safe return.

Winston's Human
August 15th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Yes I have. However, just before he went out I had trimmed his claws, so he could still tree, but it'd be tougher. And I am surrounded by forest. If he was treed, you'd think that he'd come down by now. blah.