Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Behaviour

sbreak
August 13th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I have a question regarding my cat's behaviour.

We got Elmo when he was 8 weeks old (he is approx. 4 now).

Elmo has never been a cuddly cat with anyone except for myself.

He never went to, visited with or purred for ANYBODY except for myself.

About 3 months ago that all changed - now he loves my son (who he previously wouldn't even look at) and will cuddle with anyone and everyone in our house.

Is there a reason for his behaviour change? Is this common as cats get older?

Any insight would be great!
Thanks

Smiley14
August 13th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I am by no means an expert, so I'm afiraid I can't answer your question, but just wanted to comment I have noticed the same thing in my cat!

I've had Billy since he was 6 weeks old and for the first five years of his life, he was most definitely a one-person cat. He bonded very closely with me almost immediately, but only tolerated anyone else in the house. But he has gotten a lot more affectionate over the years. Where he used to ignore other people or hide from them, now he seeks them out, even strangers! We still have a connection that no one else shares with him, but it's been nice to see him show more of his playful, tender, affectionate side with other people so they can see the personality that I know and love.
But I know exactly what you mean. I was shocked the first time he actually let another person hold him and even more shocked when he started purring!
So not sure if that is "normal" or not, but I have definitely experienced it with my cat as well. :)

Elmo is such a great name by the way! Please post a picture of him if you're able! And welcome to the board! :)

Winston's Human
August 15th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Again no expert. I have two cats from the same litter, a male and a female. Winston was always friendly, loving and cuddling anyone who was willing. Pandora on the other hand never did, didn't want to be held, in fact she appears to have A.D.H.D (if that's even possible). They turned 9 in December and since then she is more friendly to all, cuddles with strangers now (still not like her brother) and generally wants more attention all around. I took her to the vet to make sure she was ok and she is. So enjoy.

chico2
August 15th, 2006, 08:13 AM
I have 3 cats,11,8 and 4 yrs old,all very affectionate:love:
I believe when cats feel completely loved,feel secure and know nobody is going to do them any harm,they will accept cuddles even from a visitor.
Of course cats like people,have different personalities and male cats are often(not always)more affectionate than females.
As for carrying cats,in all my years as a cat-owner and cat-lover,I have yet to find a cat who loves being carried around.
My Vinnie,all 17lb's of him,LOVES to hang on my shoulder,which he did as a kitten,but now he is becoming a bit of a burden:D :cat: