Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hello everybody

BBdog
August 13th, 2006, 12:23 AM
i am 50 and decided to look into getting a dog.
mid size
lazzy...like me
and likes to talk
so i thought a forum would be the place to check
out different dogs ask some questions and do some reading

bbdog.....:ca: :ca:

LavenderRott
August 13th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Go to Petfinder.com, punch in your zip code, and look at all of the rescue dogs that would love nothing more than to lay on the couch next to you and listen to your voice alllllll day long! :D

jesse's mommy
August 13th, 2006, 08:07 AM
As LR said, check petfinder with your zip code. If I can make a suggestion, adopt an older dog who is already housebroken and has all of their puppy zoomies out of them. Puppies are crazy. :crazy: Good luck and we would love for you to post back when you do get a dog with lots of pictures! Also, this is a great forum with a lot of knowledgable people so any questions you have, go ahead and ask them. Welcome!

OntarioGreys
August 13th, 2006, 09:26 PM
You want lazy ??? A rescue greyhound would race you to the couch, they need minimal exrecise, you would be surprise how small they curl up
:D http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/fcb96818e.jpg

Like you I was getting older working fulltime and felt active breeds were too much for me so wanted a breed that was calm and not very active they love to sleep approx 18 hours a day, they are short distance sprinters not edndurance dogs a race is 30 second race then they are rested for 3 days till the next race. SAGAA an adoption group in southern alberta has meet and greets in Calgary where you can meet the greyhounds and see what they are like

MEET AND GREET DOG DISPLAY LOCATION
12 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Every Saturday

PetSmart - Calgary McLeod Trail

Petcetera - Calgary 3120-27 St. NE

Here is their website http://www.sagaa.org/index.html

There smaller cousins the whippet or italina greyhound are more active .

Another breed if you definitely want a small dog that would be a good choice is a pug

Angies Man
August 14th, 2006, 12:41 AM
One of the best dogs I ever had was a Great Dane (small, only 100 lb) male from the Spokane animal shelter. He was smart, easy to train, loved coffee time in the morning, and was eventually able to understand about 100 words and some phrases. Loving and protective of his human children--which was any kid in his field of vision. He was a favorite at Grad School picnics and summer parties where beer kegs were to be found (loved to slurp the suds) and where little kids with hotdogs in their tiny fingers loved the big tongue coming out, slurping the weiner out of little fingers, and into the air to be caught in the big doggies mouth! :eek:

Now I'm not suggesting that you get a Dane or any other Giant. They burn so bright and die so young. :o But what I am saying is that your dog is probably waiting for you at your local shelter. It's tough to see what adult dogs are like in the kennel area, you can get some idea if they will let you take the dog out for a little walk. Save your new friend from the shelter, he or she will pay you back a thousand fold.

Gus, my Dane back in the 70's, was my rarey. I've had other great dogs, but he saved my life a number of times (a time of some alcohol abuse and a lot of untreated depression.)