Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just a little frustration...

Mahealani770
August 11th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Ok, I just need to vent and maybe scream a little bit...

NO MATTER WHAT I DO, NICKY WILL NOT STOP PEEING/POOPING IN THE DAMN HOUSE!!!!!!:frustrated: :mad: :frustrated: :mad: :frustrated:
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
:yell:
Ok, I feel better. Thanks.
~M~

LavenderRott
August 11th, 2006, 10:00 AM
(((HUG)))

My poor Rusty came from a not so good situation and was very hard to housebreak. We have had him for almost a year and he has just started getting serious about asking to go out. And there have been a couple of accidents at night in the last couple of weeks. They were, of course, my fault.

So, here is what we do.

Rusty is crated when we are not home. We take him out the very last thing before we leave the house. When we are home, any time he appears antsy or won't settle down when I ask him to - he goes out side. He also goes outside the very last thing before I go to bed. It doesn't matter what time it is - outside. Accidents happen when I don't want to wait for him to poo at 3 in the morning. :cool:

If you are consistant - there is hope.

Mahealani770
August 11th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the support Sandi. We've had Nicky on a very strict schedule for 8 months now. Nicky only does this when he's alone. He will go 2-3 weeks without doing anything and then all of a sudden, I'll come home from lunch and he's peed in his crate again, or pooped in the middle of the kitchen. I have more patience than my partner does. She is completely fed up and doesn't want anything to do with Nicky. The tension in the apartment is very high. I love Nicky and understand that it's not his fault and I will never give up on him. I just wish I knew why he does this.
Nicky used to go pee and poop every morning, but for some reason this week he will not poop in the morning. I take him out at lunch time, he won't poop. We come home for the evening, he won't poop. I don't know what the deal is. I've been chalking it up to me switching food on him but I just don't know what the problem is. But as far as him peeing in his crate, or peeing in the kitchen...there just is no excuse for that. I've tried keeping his water from him and only giving it to him when I'm there but that doesn't work either and I've been told not to withhold water, so....frustration has set in :frustrated:
I'm really starting to think that this little guy was kept outside most of his life. My co-worker, who found Nicky on the side of the road, said that he was FILTHY and full of matts and briars when he found him. They had to cut a lot of his hair off just to get him clean. I just can't imagine keeping a Pomeranian outside in this climate, or outside period. I just don't get people.

technodoll
August 11th, 2006, 10:25 AM
it is generally against a dog's instinct to soil their "den" and have to lay in it. I would strongly suggest getting a smaller crate for Nicky to be in when you cannot supervise him (and put him in there EVERY TIME you leave), just big enough for him to lay down comfortably, stretch and turn around, but not big enough for him to have space to move to a dry spot to if he pees in his crate. no blankets or any other absorbant material either. make sure he does not have a bladder infection or other medical issue that would prevent him from "holding it" like any other normal dog. patience, perseverance, and most of all a consistent routine should give good results quick quickly, i know Nicky is smart, he's just trying to get away with as much as he can right now... don't give him any space to manipulate and maneuver! good luck with the little guy :)

LavenderRott
August 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I wish I had better advice. It sounds like you are doing everything right.

I can't imagine not having Rusty in the house. At my mother's he has access to a doggy door so he can run in and out with her dogs. She has a huge fenced in yard and he spends about an hour walking around her yard lifting his leg everywhere that her dogs (she has 4) have pee'd. As you can imagine - this takes time. LOL!!

Time and patience. Other then that, there really isn't much that you can do.

Mahealani770
August 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Techno- Thanks for the suggestions. Nicky has one of those big wire crates that is just big enough for him to turn and lay and all that. Nicky has NO problem laying in his own mess. Last week I came home and couldn't even see the poop in his crate because he was LAYING on it :yuck: . And as far as the peeing goes, he lifts his leg and it shoots OUTSIDE of the crate. We have the floors, walls, the washer, and the dryer newspapered because of this. I also removed EVERYTHING from his crate 6 months ago and all he has left is newspaper to lay on. Nothing works. Do you think maybe I should try one of those plastic carrier crates? I'm just not sure that they are big enough for him to move around in and to get a big enough one is pretty expensive. Also, seeing as how Nicky has NO problem laying in his waste, I don't think a plastic carrier would help anyway. :shrug:

technodoll
August 11th, 2006, 10:45 AM
at this point yes, i would try a plastic crate, definitely! would be more like a "den" to him than a "confined space where the outside world is a spray away"!! :frustrated: how about looking on ebay for a 2nd hand crate? very inexpensive, specially for a small pom-sized crate... and no newspapers in there either IMO - nothing but a toy or two to keep him busy... a stuffed kong perhaps? a knucklebone? :confused: In the hopes that eventually, he will NOT like laying in his own waste! man that would drive me nuts, too... :mad: you have the patience of a saint!

Mahealani770
August 11th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Sandi- I'm starting to think that Nicky is just never gonna be housebroken. I'm aware that he probably has behavioral issues, but the signs of Separation Anxiety that he had when we first brought him home, are gone. Nicky is well adjusted now. I have done the Alpha training, I've done the desensitization training so that he doesn't guard anything or anyone anymore. I've taken him to daycare for socializing. The only thing I haven't done yet is taken him to obedience training but I don't see how that would help with pottying in the house anyway. He tells me when he has to go potty, when we are home. We take him outside every 4 hours and he NEVER goes in the house while we're there. Just once in awhile and for some reason, twice this week in and/or near his crate. I'm perplexed.:confused:

Mahealani770
August 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Techno- Ok..plastic it is!! And thanks for the compliment :) .

LavenderRott
August 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM
A plastic carrier isn't going to help.

Rusty doesn't mind sleeping in his own mess either. Probably because he spent 12+ hours at a time in a crate as a pup.

Shaykeija
August 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Maybe you should try a belly band. This will help with his peeing. It goes around his belly and over his pee machine. Trust me he will not like the wet feeling. Maybe you should put him in a room that is fenced off and put some pee pads down. We have small dogs and we always have a pee pad down. They are house trained but poop happens...:p

Mahealani770
August 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Wow...so plastic isn't going to help, huh? How disappointing. I wonder what will work then? Maybe I should just get used to the fact that he's going to do his business inside...and that sucks!!! :frustrated:

Mahealani770
August 11th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Shaykeija - I have seriously been considering a bellly band or a diaper, just so he can feel some discomfort and maybe learn to not pee until he's outside. I've never seen a bellly band before, so I'm not sure how it's secured. Won't he be able to move it around or pull it off?
(lmao @ pee machine)

technodoll
August 11th, 2006, 11:08 AM
it wouldn't hurt to at least try with the plastic, closed-in crate - at the point where things are now, hard to make it much worse IMO. not all dogs are the same... some suggest that pooping in the crate when you're gone (but never when you're there) is related to seperation anxiety... and that making Nicky tired out with exercise & games before crate-time and feeding him a food that produces little poop would be ways around the problem... :confused:

Mahealani770
August 11th, 2006, 11:09 AM
How cute are these??? lol
http://www.kennelkomforts.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3001&Category_Code=BB2&source=googleadwords

LavenderRott
August 11th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I have a plastic carrier for Rusty. The only difference between that and his metal crate is that if he pees in his carrier, he needs a bath.

A belly band sounds like a darn good idea. You should be able to find them online.

technodoll
August 11th, 2006, 11:19 AM
so the bellyband would seem to be a good idea! does it stop the dog from pooping too? that would be :thumbs up

Mahealani770
August 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Sandi- That's exactly my concern. Whether I try the belly band or the plastic carrier idea...I see a lot of baths in our future :cool:
But that's ok...if it does the trick...bathtub here we come!!!
Thanks for all of your suggestions, concerns and care. I appreciate it! :thumbs up

Prin
August 11th, 2006, 11:01 PM
The little dog I was sitting is over a year and still isn't 100% housetrained. I think it was more luck than anything else. I mean, with the puppies I fostered, they seemed to get the pee pad thing really quickly and efficiently, but with this little one, it was hit and miss. I really think that she didn't really use the pee pads, she just went wherever and 3 times out of 5 she did it right. Anyway, my point is, some dogs just take longer to get it (especially little dogs, so I have heard), but I think with continued consistency, you should get there... :fingerscr