Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Angie and her man

Angies Man
August 10th, 2006, 09:29 PM
So I got this puppy last week and here we are.

I'm Brian in Reno Nevada and Angie (Angela) is a 4 month old Standard Poodle. She's a lot more photogenic than I am (I'm your typical 54 year old, beer swilling, balding potbellied guy.) Here's the princess:

http://myfiero.com/uploads/3339_.jpg

She came from a breeder that did the right things about health and fitness, but did little in the way of socialization. So when I picked up Angie, she was totally unfamiliar with a leash, had no 'puppy name', had little car experience, and no socialization to words. A bit of a blank slate.

I drove over 700 miles to get her, I wanted to meet her mom and dad and see where she came from. Her parents were pretty calm--didn't bark at me when I approached them--didn't even shy away. So decent genetics meshed with very nicely behaved parents--a good combination in a Std. Poodle or any dog.

She's AKC registerable, but as I don't want to breed or show her she probably won't get registered with the club. Spaying and suturing her stomach to the abdominal wall (prevents gastrointestinal torsion) are in her future.

On the way home, about 350 miles, I drove one handed, with one hand on her most of the way, talking to her the whole time. She was an angel in the car--vomited twice because the dumb breader had fed her--but drank from a plastic cup from McD's, and didn't have any behavior problems or accidents.
Hence her name "Angela." Seemed like a natural.

I am sympathetic to those with problem pets--I've had them in the past. Angie is not one of those critters--she's the closest to perfect I've had. She doesn't have a growl, or snap in her. She's crate trained and likes her box. SHe's mostly house trained, has picked up on her name, learned no-no and sit commands, comes (mostly) when she's called, and is teething on her chewbones, her ropey thing, and her balls. (She want's to chew on my sandals, but puppy proofing takes care of that.)

In the past, I've had Danes, Golden Retrievers, Collies, another Std. Poodle, and a G Shepard mix. Some of them have been stars--my Dane had a vocabulary approaching 100 words & and understood strings of words "Go find your ball and take it to Mom." My other Poodle (died of bloat at 3 yrs) won obedience trials.

Angie looks like a star to me--she is very attentive, sweet natured, and calm. Standard Poodles can be amazing dogs.

My brother, who has a German Shepard, says he could live without having a dog around. I can live without a dog, Charley my last poodle died three years ago (and broke my heart.) I can live without a dog, but I don't want to live without one.

:angel:

Skryker
August 10th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Aww, what a sweet face! Welcome! If Angie is mostly coming when you call her at 4 months, she's doing WAY better than my 9 month old brats-on a good day, it's 50-50. :D

mona_b
August 10th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Awwwwww,what a cutie patootie she is.....;)

She's AKC registerable, but as I don't want to breed or show her she probably won't get registered with the club.

Just wanted to comment about this.Not sure about where you are,but here in Canada it is illegal to sell registerable pups without papers.What this means is that if both parents are registered,then the pups must be registered also.I know the papers mean squat and only show that they are pure.But papers are papers.

None of my GSD's were for show or stud,but my breeder would never sell them without it.And considering that all pups must be registered at birth.It's the breeder who does the paperwork.

Oh,welcome aboard Brian...I am sure you will enjoy this site.:D

And more pics please..:D

chico2
August 11th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Brian and Angela,welcome to the Forum:thumbs up
I have only ever known one Standard Poodle and she was as smart as a whip,a wonderful dog.
At 4 months Angie looks pretty big,but maybe it's just the photo,we definetly need more pics:dog:
As for being a 54 yr old beer-bellied male,who cares,you have the main ingredient which is your love for Angie.
Everyone here,comes from different age-groups,with me probably the oldest at 62,many parts of the world and we all love our animals and others.:grouphug:

Angies Man
August 11th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I guess to clarify, she came with papers for me to send in. As I understand it, whether I send the papers in or not is my choice. And at this point, I'm mostly undecided but leaning towards not paying the fees and sending them in to register her.

~michelle~
August 11th, 2006, 12:27 PM
hello and congrats on the new edition to your family. she's a beautiful little girl
:pawprint:

glasslass
August 11th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I never bothered to send in Den-Den's papers either. I wasn't going to show or breed and he was neutered at 7mos. No point. I love poodles. There's a size for everyone. If I were to have a large dog, it'd be a standard poodle. They are such natural clowns! Welcome!