Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Life expectancy

1john44
January 30th, 2004, 01:32 PM
I adopted a Keshound from the shelter about 5 years ago. They guessed him to be about 2 years old at the time. What is the average life span of these dogs? Plus add in that the poor thing was half starved when he was rescued, how much will that shorten his life?

:confused:

Carina
January 30th, 2004, 04:24 PM
http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/keeshon.cfm

Doesn't say in the breed standard, but 12-15 years expectancy.
Being starved won't shorten his life expectancy unless it was so severe he had internal organs going into failure, but that probably wasn't the case. :)
Being thin contributes to longer life spans, being overweight to shorter ones.

1john44
January 31st, 2004, 04:46 AM
Well, we have put a lot of weight on him since we got him, but I don't believe he is overweight. He was just severly under when he was rescued. He hasn't had any health problems in these 5 years, so I am sure there were no organ problems. I have just noticed him slowing down, and am terrified of the day I will have to say good bye.

Carina
January 31st, 2004, 06:51 AM
He could just be slowing down because he's mature & no longer a wild & crazy young dog! :)
Keep him lean (so you can feel every rib) and exercised. Feed high quality food. If you're someplace where heartworms are an issue, get him tested every year & give the HW meds. Make sure his teeth & gums stay healthy (gum disease can be hard to spot, but can lead to various organ damage.) I'd suggest doing vaccinations every three years instead of annually; this is suggested by every single vet school in the US now.
And give him lots of love! :)

1john44
January 31st, 2004, 07:09 AM
In some area's he has slowed down but in others he is becoming more hyper. He used to be so afraid of us that if we moved, even to just change positions on the couch he would jump all the way across the room. Now, when you get up and accidently step on him he just looks at you like "how dare you disturb my rest" But when we come home from work, or get up from sleeping, he is so hyper! It has really been great to see the difference in him. My daughter uses him as a pillow while watching TV and if she happens to lay on the other side of the room, he gets up and sits on her head. I guess he is telling her not to change his routine!

I guess he may be a bit overweight then, because I can't feel every rib. Just the back two on each side.

And anyone who believes you can't teach an old dog new tricks, I have some swamp land in Florida I will sell you dirt cheap. This pound mutt is the smartest dog I have ever seen!

Carina
January 31st, 2004, 07:25 AM
Aww, he sounds like a real lovey!
And I have no clue where that saying about teaching old dogs new tricks came from. More than half of the dogs I've owned (and two out of my current three) were adult strays or shelter rescues, and they've all certainly been able to continue learning new things. :)

1john44
January 31st, 2004, 04:54 PM
I know. Rascal was abandoned by his owners when they moved. They then returned and tried to claim the cat, but didn't want him. We were just up at the shelter looking, but he attached himself to our daughter who was only 4 at the time. They had the same big brown eyes, and we couldn't walk away! He knew how to dance (jump around in circles) but that was it. In two weeks of being home he learned how to sit, shake and lie down. He also was house broke after only one accident! He is so smart. I will try and get a picture down loaded of him, but I tend to have problems attaching them, so I am not sure if I can.

homer
February 1st, 2004, 06:19 PM
Hi,

I did a bit of searching and it seems the average life expectancy of a Keeshond is 13 years.

Given the fact that he is loved now, I'd hope and guess that his life should not be shortened by the trauma he suffered as a pup.

Here's wishing him a long life!

Homer

1john44
February 2nd, 2004, 12:05 PM
I am so glad to hear that. I am not even sure he is really a keashound. I was watching the dog show, and the keashound that had was a lot different. I realize he isn't a full blood, but the one on tv was shorter, and the tail wasn't as long. Oh well, keashound or whatever, he is mine.

While I am on here, does any one have a clue why dogs like to have their butts scratched. I don't mean the butt itself, but the back right by the tail. Rascal will walk under my husbands legs while they are propped up on the coffee table, and pick my husbands legs up onto his back and rub them back and forth! My kids call him a vfs (short for voluntary foot stool!)