Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New kitty .. need help

yviej
August 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a very, very long time. Hope everyone is doing well. My SO gave me a puppy for Valentine's Day last year. Papi is now 1.5 years old and is doing really well. He's become quite the spoiled, adorable bugger :love:

Anywho, we would like to give him a new friend so we recently acquired a kitten. He is a Domestic Long Hair and we will be able to bring him home in about a couple of weeks since he is still nursing.

So, I am posting here some of the concerns I have in hope you experts here will enlighten me with some help.

1) What should I do to ensure the kitty will feel comfortable before AND after I bring him home?

2) What are the essential necessities that a kitty will need? Scratching post? Litter box? Cat food?

3) What is a good way to introduce Papi to his little friend, and vice versa?

4) I have read that I should probably have a designated area at one part of the house for the kitty until he is ready to explore the rest of the home. Even now, Papi has free reign of the house so, his food is in the kitchen and he sleeps with me at night, and his indoor peeing area is in the family area. So, I am a little bit at a loss to determine where I could have the kittie "reside". I think the best place maybe my room and Papi can sleep outside for the time being (he has already on occasion), but I still don't want to make Papi feel like he's been bumped. If this is the place for the kittie, should I put his litter box and food trays in the room as well or can it be where Papi's are. I wouldn't want Papi to "steal" food from the kitty and vice versa.

Is there anything else I should know to ensure both Papi and the little kitty feels at ease at home? I'm sorry this is an extremly long post. It's just that it is my first time owning a kitty and I just want to make sure he is well taken care of and be a happy little camper just like Papi has become. :cloud9:

TIA.

jessi76
August 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
1) What should I do to ensure the kitty will feel comfortable before AND after I bring him home?

keep the kitten safe, at all times. do not leave the kitten and your dog together, unattended. it will take time for them to be comfortable w/ each other and for you to be SURE no one ends up hurt (even if it's just in play)

2) What are the essential necessities that a kitty will need? Scratching post? Litter box? Cat food?

good nutrional food. toys (things w/ bells & feathers work well) scratching post is usefull. obviously, a litter box. (and a bottle of pet accident cleaner just in case!) a suggle spot - kitty bed, or a simple box top w/ soft blanket inside. kitty proof the room! cover wires, pick up anything small and ingestable, move floor plants, search the forum for kitty proofing tips.

3) What is a good way to introduce Papi to his little friend, and vice versa?

slowly. let them explore each other on their terms, but always supervise. never force interaction. REWARD your dog for being slow & gentle with the kitten, and NEVER EVER allow chasing.

4) I have read that I should probably have a designated area at one part of the house for the kitty until he is ready to explore the rest of the home. Even now, Papi has free reign of the house so, his food is in the kitchen and he sleeps with me at night, and his indoor peeing area is in the family area. So, I am a little bit at a loss to determine where I could have the kittie "reside". I think the best place maybe my room and Papi can sleep outside for the time being (he has already on occasion), but I still don't want to make Papi feel like he's been bumped. If this is the place for the kittie, should I put his litter box and food trays in the room as well or can it be where Papi's are. I wouldn't want Papi to "steal" food from the kitty and vice versa.

keep dog & cat areas seperate. I think it'd be a mistake to put your dog outside while the kitty adjusts. It's your dog's house too.

I'd just keep the kitty in a seperate room - a guest room, a den, a computer room, a spare bathroom, a room w/ a door that closes, etc... keep all kitty things there. for example, I got my kitten a couple yrs ago - she stayed in my sunporch (a 2nd livingroom w/ french door that closes). I kept her litter box, and everything there. slowly moved the litter box down the hall to laundry room - and she slowly gained access to the whole house as she became more comfortable w/ my older cat. I kept them seperated while I wasn't home for a while though - to minimize any fighting, stress, or trouble making. Until I was CERTAIN they were ok together.

I would keep dog and cat litter boxes SEPERATE.

yviej
August 11th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks, Jessi. I have a better direction as to what to do when the kitty comes home.

Thanks a bunch.