Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Totally Unacceptable Behaviour!!

BernerLver
August 10th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Over the past few months we have seen a regression with Bailey in terms of his behaviour. He continues to be destructive in the house even when given small chances at more freedom so we have not progressed far in that area. It has gotten so bad he is leashed to us at all times in the house when not in his crate. Also, he is becoming more aggressive with our older dog. It's never with regards to food etc. I'm not sure if this sounds funny but he seems to pick on Dart. I'm not sure if this is his attempt to play or what.

However, last night's incident was the final straw. We were outside BBQing with the boys who were leashed (as we have no fence yet) when our elderly neighbor comes over to say hi. Bailey is sitting on leash by my side when all of a sudden bolts towards the neighbor, knocks me on my a**, I let go of leash and he proceeds to knock over our 80+ year old neighbor. I swear my heart stopped!

Luckily she was fine and not angry. After DH and I calmed down we decided that obviously something needs to be done to deal with this dog and clearly we are not doing something right.

Our most recent attempt at obedience school was not very successful. It was the same place he went to as a puppy and their methods include clicker and treat training. This time we have a hard time getting Bailey to focus etc. Even the trainer told us that perhaps he would respond better to another method of training :confused: I'm not sure what other types there are. However, we never seem to be able to wean him off the treats even with the trainer's help.

Anyway, if you’ve made it this far thanks for listening. It's clear we need to go back to the basics and really ramp up the training. Are there other methods besides treats? Could anyone suggest one in the Durham Region? Clearly DH have done or not done enough in this area to ensure we have a well behaved dog so obviously we need to correct this ASAP.

jessi76
August 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I'm sorry to hear of the trouble w/ Bailey, but I think you can certainly turn it around. As you've learned, not all dogs learn or respond well to one method of training. Have you considered looking into the training methods offered by Tenderfoot? She always give amazing training tips and advice, and I do believe she offers more (cds? videos?) about her training methods. Perhaps you can order some, work with her methods on your own, at home, and post here for additonal tips?

BernerLver
August 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the response jessi. We are mostly just upset that we haven't been able to progress with Bailey but are realistic that if we don't get a handle on it ASAP things are just going to get worse and next time someone may get hurt.

I am going to look at training that focuses more on communication and not treats, clickers etc. I think those methods are great they just don't seem to be working for us.

Funny you should say that because I immediately thought of tenderfoot when hubby and I were discussing options last night.

jessi76
August 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
If you want, I can pm you the name (and site) of my trainer. He is NOT in your area (I'm in MA), but he is a BMD breeder & handler. I've taken every class he teaches, and plan to go back and re-take some later on this fall. I think he's absolutely wonderful. He may have contacts, or suggestions. Just another option if you're interested.

LibbyP
August 10th, 2006, 01:44 PM
:sorry: BernerLver, I don't have ay great offers of wisdom and training I also know how frustrating it can be to have a :crazy: wild child. The trainer I went to with my first dog was awesome, and we have had no problems with him in the past 12.5yrs. Now our girl(:rip: ) we had major issues up until the day she was pts (heath issues un related) I think it came back to positive reenforcement with treats OOOOHHHH MY GOODNESS she was bad(other trainer no longer working). Just wanted to let you know you are not alone:grouphug:

Dog Dancer
August 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Sorry your pup is being naughty. Been there. I have a friend in Orangeville who is an obedience trainer and judge. I guess that's about 1 1/2 hours from you. I've never trained with her as I live in BC, but she has judged out here, and helped me pick out my lab x (we've been friends forever). If you're interested in talking to her let me know and I can see if she is available for a phone consult and then maybe you could go see her and do some one on one with her or something. I don't know if it's too far, or even if once you talked to her you'd want to work with her, that would be your call and hers. She breeds and shows Champion Shelties. It can't hurt to try calling her and see what she says???