Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Biting the leash

Geoff and Kathy
August 10th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Hi there!

My wife and I got a new little dog named Biscuit from the Humane Society. So far, so good, but one thing still puzzles me with him. He likes to try to chew the leash, even the cable we use to put him in the back yard (He can did under the fence).

I'm worried that he may end up damaging his teeth, not to mention the leash! Any thoughts?

Scott_B
August 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
With our puppy we would soak the leash in bitter apple. We would also give a quick correction if he bit at it, then lots of praise and shove a toy in their mouth. As soon as you have them on leash and they dont bite it..praise praise praise. Seemed to have worked great for us.

jessi76
August 10th, 2006, 10:13 AM
How old is Biscuit? type of dog? (not that it matters AT ALL for this question, I'm just curious)

My dog did it too - we went through numerous leashes. we tried bitter apple... my dog thought it was a condement. we praised when he dropped it from his mouth, but it didn't stop him... we tried firmly pulling it out of his mouth (not angrily, but firmly) and that didn't work either. Finally, since I seemed to buy a new leash every week, I squirted him w/ a water bottle when he did it one day. THAT stopped it. immediately.

obviously the water spritz was the last resort for me, so try the other things first (positive is always best).

are there any pics of Biscuit on here yet?

Geoff and Kathy
August 11th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Biscuit is less than a year old and what we believe is a whippet-terrier cross. I don't have pics small enough to post yet! :)

I tried spraying it with a spray I got at Wal-Mart (we don't have a pet store in Cold Lake) and it worked pretty good! :thumbs up