Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats + chewing + us = very mad

dtbmnec
August 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
:mad: The cats keep chewing on our wires at night or when they're left in the house alone (ie I go out somewhere to get stuff for cats or job hunting). They have chewed through two Xbox controllers (which are like fourty bucks a pop cuz the non-xbox ones suck), two cell phone chargers, and who knows what else!

Any suggestions???? other than those sprays that keep cats away....cuz thy dont work.....

rainbow
August 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Can you put the stuff out of reach before you go out? Or put the cats in a room by themselves so they can't get at it? :cat:

cpietra16
August 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM
You can try to wrap the wires up with foil...my cats hate foil.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 9th, 2006, 08:35 PM
If my cats were chewing through my x-box controllers I would be putting them up at night, I mean...they unplug, what's the problem? I have a 360 now though so the controllers are wireless :D .
I had my cat chew through my cellphone charger wire twice and my rat chew through it a couple of times. I just spliced it back together, I'm cheap. Yeah it looked bad with electrical tape all over it but it worked, lol.
You may actually wanna try wrapping electrical tape around the whole length of the wire since my cat never chewed on the spots that had tape.

chico2
August 10th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Megan,they are kittens and you'll have to kitten-proof your place the same way you would baby-proof your home.
It's not only cheaper for you,not to have to replace wiring,but also safer for the kittens or you might one day come home to electrocuted kittens.
Dangling wires are a great toy for kittens.
My grown cats never touch wires or cords,but as kittens everything was game to them.

dtbmnec
August 10th, 2006, 12:16 PM
We have two rooms....the bedroom (that I do attempt to keep them out of because of my allergies) and the kitchen/living room....the bathroom would be much too warm for them (nor big enough). So that's out of the question.

Putting the controllers up: we've tried! They get up onto everything! They haven't quite reached counters but they're trying to get up there (or rather only Leo is...Pawz just watches at this point *shakes head*) We've got a ton of other stuff we'd like to keep them out of/off of and we can't do that because they just keep going higher and higher! Bloody cats!

The other wires in the house seem to be ok, the computer they're getting interested in (if they touch my 'puter I will have some super serious issues). We have wood floors and it seems that all their running around and banging and wrestling is bothering the people downstairs of us! :frustrated:

lol at this point I think hiding stuff from them would require us to spend three hours every morning/night packing it all away! :frustrated:

Megan

jessi76
August 10th, 2006, 12:31 PM
put double sided tape on things - computer, desks, counters, shelves, tables, etc...

citrus rinds work well too - I used to put orange & lemon rinds in my potted floor plants to keep the cats OUT.

vick's vapo rub - coat the outside of the wires, obviously not close to the electronic device. it's very strong menthol. may work better, and last longer than a spray.

I also used lots of towels! beach towels, old bath towels, etc.. I'd cover wires w/ them - behind tv, computer, etc... you can even spray the towels with a citrus spray to help keep them away.

of course, the best way to prevent it is to remove the temptation all together. so put away or move things the things that you can.