Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Help

mavdoll
January 30th, 2004, 02:07 AM
My cocker Spaniel just woke me up about 45 minutes ago, she was making all kinds of noise bumping into things in my bedroom, at first I thought she wanted to play then I realized she was dizzy or disoriented or something, regardless...she vomited on the floor, then she continured to act disoriented and then looked like she was having a seizure or something? she kept falling over on her side and acting like she couldnt breathe, i thought maybe she was choking, I think she got ahold of a chicken wing from the trash can. would choking cause behavior like this? could it be a sign of something more serious?>

Carina
January 30th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Choking wouldn't cause this. It sounds like an epileptic seizure...how old is she?
Sounds like she needs to see a vet in any case. Epilepsy can be treated quite well, if that's the problem.

mavdoll
January 30th, 2004, 07:08 AM
She's only about 2 and 1/2 years old. I am taking her to the vet this morning. I'll post when I find something else out, and thanks for your suggestion! :)

Luba
January 30th, 2004, 10:41 AM
It's either an inner ear infection or something vestibular.

Write down EVERYTHING that you noticed about her!

Since Cockers are well known for ear infections, an inner ear infection can cause ALL of those symptoms....my little terrier had the same problem.

Did you happen to notice if the eyes were darting up and down or back and forth? Could you see more of the whites then usual?

The vet can't see the inner ear with the scope BUT if it IS inner ear meds need to be started asap or it can cause irreperable damage and hearing loss.

AND if you have a video camera keep it nearby to video tape these episodes if she's not afraid of the camera..this way you can show it to your vet.

I remember Rusty would tip over, get weak his eyes would bulge and I'd have to just hold him.

It's scary stuff!! But get her to the vet though.... :D

Keep us posted!

Carina
January 30th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Oh good one Luba, I never thought of ear infections! Never would have thought they'd cause that sort of reaction.

mavdoll
January 30th, 2004, 09:02 PM
As a matter of fact, my dog just got over a double ear infection We haven't made it to the vet yet she's going first thing saturday morning though

I never thought about an ear infection, thanks so much for everyone's help and advice! :)

Carina
January 31st, 2004, 06:22 AM
Well let us know! Maybe she's not quite over the ear infection yet, or there's some scarring.