Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new cat locked up how hot is to hot?

scuba0095
August 9th, 2006, 03:58 PM
HEllo

We have my new cat locked up in the den. Its a decent sized place but it gets pretty hot when the door is shut and the ac cant get threw from the house! I Was just wondering how hot is to hot? HE is not shy at all soon as soomeone enters the door he trys to dart oout! I dopnt know if hes meowing cuase its hot or just wants out and is bored? he has food water litter box lots of toys place to climb things to scrach etc... Is it because hes not nutered and restless?

badger
August 9th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Cats have a much harder time with extreme heat than extreme cold. Could you not put a fan in there? His restlessness could come from all the things you mention (heat, boredom, the sound/smell of other cats). You need to spend time with him, even if you are just sitting watching TV. Gradually, he'll realize that this is not just another situation where he is 'detained' for no apparent reason but the beginning of his connection to you and eventually the other cats. Is he using the litterbox, eating OK? Try a radio turned to voices, set low.
But first, a fan, pretty please. My cats stretch out in front of my big fan like sunbathers, they really hate the heat.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 9th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Why is your cat locked in your den with no A/C?
Use your common sense, would YOU want to be locked in a hot room with no A/C? Cats are affected by the heat, even more with no ventilation, you should be worried, especially if your cat starts panting.
Is there no way you can put a small cheap window unit in the room or at least a fan? Or maybe a small cheap floor unit so the cat could at least lay next to it when he gets hot?

heidiho
August 9th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Be careful my thread got taken off for rudeness about this silly question..

Blathach
August 9th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Please be civilized in your responses or this thread will be closed.

heidiho
August 9th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I do apologize...I am just curious then as to why if you know it is hot in there would you not know what to do???

erykah1310
August 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I just really would like to know as to why the cat is locked in the den in the first place??? Is there a valid reason for this?

But as stated by others, if you think its too hot in there then it is! Even if you think its "just a bit warmer in the den then the rest of the house" its TOO HOT for the cat!

rainbow
August 9th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Go read some of his other posts. :rolleyes:

jesse's mommy
August 9th, 2006, 05:18 PM
No offense to anyone, but by the other threads it looks to me that Scuba is introducing his newly adopted cat to his other cat which means they need to be in separate rooms and he is doing the right thing. As for if it's hot in there, how about setting up a fan or two and make sure there is plenty of water. Also how about freezing some water bottles, wrapping them in a towel and putting them in or under the cats bed to keep it cool?

jiorji
August 9th, 2006, 05:32 PM
well if you're trying to sepparate them before you introduce them and the HOT den is your only answer due to space constraints, i'd say....forget it! Just throw them in a room with each other and let them deal with it. You'd rather have them do that than have a cat with a heat stroke. You might want to put some vanilla scent on their chins to mask off their scent and then hope for the best.:fingerscr

When I introduced my cats to each other i had no room to sepparate them so i just let them deal with it. Luckily there was not much fighting but , still....take your cat out of there please!

and to answer your question, i think over 26 degrees celcius is extremely uncomfortable for a cat. So take her out

scuba0095
August 9th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Yes this is exactly what i was asking. I cant believe some of the posters rude responses, it be nice if some people used their heads before responding it almost seems as if they have nothing better to do then start a fight. ANd the place the cat is locked up is not even as hot as i may of made it seem. I mean i can stay in there and hang out and it has 2 windows (WHICH I OF COUrSE OPENED UP) But still its not nice and cold like the rest of the house when the door is shut as in I would be uncomfortable in there with no fan.

White Wolf
August 9th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Again, please keep this civil. Insulting other members will get this thread closed.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Scuba I'm not sure where you live, but here in missouri you can buy a small window unit at walmart for around 40-50 dollars, and some other places sell them at reasonable prices, probably around 70-90 dollars, so it may be something to look into.
Sorry if I seemed rude in my first post, I definately wasn't intending to.

scuba0095
August 9th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I also wanted to add he is using his litter box and eating fine and has not panted once. There is a floor unit there already that he can lay on. I put a fan in the room as well but he seem to just be interested in sitting by the window & looking outside for now.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 9th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I think if there's already a floor unit and a fan, and he's sitting by the window instead he's probably not overheated.
My siamese-mix often wants to go sit in the garage where it's hot even though the A/C is on in the house, so maybe your cat just doesn't mind the heat all that much.
My black kitty however starts panting if he's outside in the heat for too long.

Btw he may be more friendly and stop trying to get out as much once he's fixed, because an unneutered cat smells all kinds of smells from outside and becomes fixated on them.

As a sidenote, if you'd like to look into one, even the smallest window unit will cool a room better than most floor units (except the really expensive ones).