- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

A battle of wits . . . . . and other things

Rick C
August 9th, 2006, 11:07 AM
If you're interested, a few things from around here lately . . . . .

I showed up unarmed for a battle of wits with Abby . . . . she had found the long deceased rodent hide below while bushwhacking in the forest and refused to drop it. Threats didn't work and I didn't have any treats with me and even a handful of berries wouldn't tempt her. Finally, after a bunch of walking, she got thirsty and together, side by side, we watched it float down the river . . . .

Keeper runs for the house as the wind comes up and a storm closes in . . .

The "All You Can Eat Raspberry Patch" is open for business again for another year, bigger and more out of control than ever. Abby avails herself of an endless supply . . . .

On Saturday, we returned to Chain Lakes for the first time since the Spring . . . . this is probably Abby & Keeper's favourite road trip, a memorable day of off-leash walking for miles along the lakeshore and through the tall grass prairie, with some canyon exploring thrown in . . . . here Abby cuts a path through grass way, way over her head.

A happy Keeper finds some visibility . . . . there were times I lost them in the grass, only some fervent calling bringing everyone back together again.

A good day for Keeper . . . .

A good day for Abby on the Sheep River west of Calgary . . . .

A prairie moment . . . Keeper laying in the tall grass of her yard, listening for mice. I've been re-reading W.O. Mitchell's "Who Has Seen The Wind" in the last week, the story of a boy growing up on the Saskatchewan prairie . . . this scene fits right in.

And other adventures at Abby & Keeper's updated photo blog at

Rick C

August 9th, 2006, 11:14 AM
thanks Rick! I always look forward to your photos! such beautiful scenes and loveable dogs! they always make me smile :)

August 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM
those are lovely pictures :D

so who was the first human to receive a kiss after Abby carried that mouse in her mouth?:yuck: hehe

Rick C
August 9th, 2006, 12:06 PM
those are lovely pictures :D

so who was the first human to receive a kiss after Abby carried that mouse in her mouth?:yuck: hehe

I wish it was only a mouse since she chews those up and swallows them . . . . it was a gopher, a lot bigger. She just kills gophers.

In this case, it was just the hide of a gopher, a prize to be carried.

They found a whole deer one time, frozen and just expired. We went back to it over the course of a week as it gradually disappeared, ripped apart and dispersed by predators in the night.

They found an elk ear one time and had a fight about it.

In the pasturelands around our home, they'd find legs, ribs, skeletons, hooves, etc from deer . . . . . Abby found the the hide of a porcupine one time and rolled in it, leaving her with spines stuck in her head.

There's lots of corpses around. . . . . if you know where to look of course!!!

Rick C

August 9th, 2006, 12:12 PM
These are really Beautiful Rick C.

I always enjoy your photography and envy the natural splendor that you call home.

August 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM
excellent pictures!

August 9th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Great pics, as usual.:)

August 9th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Absolutely beautiful. I love your photos Rick.