Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

check this out

Ed U KayShawn
August 8th, 2006, 08:12 PM
wow

check this out .... i don't know what to say!

www.allerca.com
:confused:

Prin
August 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM
That's just sick.:sad:

jesse's mommy
August 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM
No way! Unbelievable. :frustrated: More kitties at the shelter when allergies flair up. :sad:

Skryker
August 8th, 2006, 08:38 PM
:pray: Please, let this be a joke or a spoof! :eek: "Lifestyle pets"?!?

wdawson
August 8th, 2006, 08:41 PM
dogs must be on the way:eek:

raingirl
August 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM
DIdn't you guys hear about this a few years ago? They mapped the protein in the cat saliva that causes allergies, and through genetic testing (which I don't necessarily agree with) they were able to remove the allery part. They said it would be a few years before they could fully test them all. Aparently the company/testers have been carefully watched by animal rights agencies and all of it has been done humanely.

I dunno....I am deathly allergic to cats so either way, i wouldn't risk it.

dragon_queen
August 8th, 2006, 11:15 PM
wow, and all for the low low price of US$ 5,950 , at least we don't have to worry about too many people buying them. probably a lot cheeper to rescue a cat and take allergy pills for the rest of your life.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 9th, 2006, 06:42 AM
What is the big problem with this?
If you read the FAQ it states that you have to have allergy testing done to determine the severity of your allergies and if you're too sensitive they won't sell you the cat.

It also says this:

We appreciate that situations can change. However, we prohibit the transfer of a kitten purchase to a third party. At our discretion, we will aim to allocate your kitten to the next customer in line, and if successful, we will refund the purchase price less a 25% administration fee. (Please note: the processing fee is payable before we effect any re-allocation and is non-refundable).

and this:

At ALLERCA, we are strongly against declawing and do not recommend the procedure. If you decide to declaw your kitten, all warranties, guaranties, and the included veterinary health coverage will become null and void.

Our kittens are delivered to you with one set of Soft Paws already applied. Soft Paws are vinyl nail caps applied to your kitten's claws that effectively cover the claws so no damage occurs when your kitten scratches. You will also receive an additional package of Soft Paws with your ALLERCA starter pack. For additional information on Soft Paws please visit the manufacturer’s website at www.softpaws.com

Also, read this page: http://www.allerca.com/html/pricingreserve.html

Which states near the top:
Mandatory spaying or neutering

Also under FAQ:

All ALLERCA kittens are spayed or neutered prior to delivery, so at least we are doing our part. ALLERCA kittens are also microchipped for easy identification.

How is this different than someone breeding purebred cats and making you sign an agreement that you don't rehome the cat, declaw the cat, and the cat must be spayed and not bred?

This company is NOT just some puppy/kitten mill or BYB, they've created a non-allergenic cat through gene sequencing and then breeding ,and their technology is proprietary so I'm betting they don't want kittens getting into the wrong hands so someone can do testing on the cats, etc..

Don't think this company is just someone giving out kittens to whoever decides they want one.

Although other genetic methods such as attempting to genetically modify the DNA of a cat may produce hypoallergenic cats, these procedures rely on nuclear transfer (cloning) and may result in associated known risks prevalent in cloned animals. The GD method adopted by ALLERCA is regarded as the most effective method of producing healthy hypoallergenic cats and is harmless to the animal.

I'd also like to say, people that pay this kind of price, go through a buncha allergy testing and sending results into the company, aren't THAT likely to dump the kitty.

raingirl said:
and through genetic testing (which I don't necessarily agree with)

I'm just curious why you don't agree with genetic testing? This has nothing to do with altering the genes or DNA of the animal (read above quote about GD method). Unless you consider selective breeding the same thing, in which case I guess every responsible breeder who breeds purebred cats is altering genes/DNA :)
I suppose this company would actually be MORE likely to have healthy cats since they know EXACTLY what kind of DNA these cats have and can decide not to breed the ones with genetic problems.

Using sophisticated bioinformatics to manage feline breeding programs, the final stage resulted in cats with a divergent gene that produces a different version of the Fel D 1 protein (see Figure 1) - and a GD cat that no longer triggers the autoimmune system of people allergic to cats.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioinformatics

Sorry for the long post, I'm trying to be thorough here so I can can explain any questions people might have in one post.

No I don't work for these people, I just don't like misinformation, lol.

Melinda
August 9th, 2006, 06:58 AM
I actually think it's wonderful, well , except for the price, but imagine the seniors that would finally be able to have a pet. At the home I volunteer for, we had two resident cats, in came two patients that were allergic to them. So the cats went to live with the administrator and the rest of the residents were deprived of their "babies".

MyBirdIsEvil
August 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM
That would actually be pretty cool if a senior home or some other organization purchased one or more of these cats (if the company allows that since they apparently have rules on who can purchase).
Then no one at the home or wherever else would have much of a chance of an allergic reaction and everyone could have the benefit of a kitty :) .

MyBirdIsEvil
August 9th, 2006, 07:26 AM
wdawson said:
dogs must be on the way

From FAQ on site:

When will you have puppies available?

We currently do not have plans to develop hypoallergenic puppies.

LM1313
August 9th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I've heard about this on the news. Apparently these cats are indeed "allergy proof" against the most common allergies to kitties. But I still think it would be better to buy a shelter kitty and take allergy medicines, if someone had allergies that weren't crippling or life-threatening. Save a life . . . But

Of course all the kittens are spayed and neutered--they don't want anyone else breeding their special DNA kitties! :crazy:

rainbow
August 9th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Who in their right mind would pay $5950 U.S. for an allergy proof cat? :eek:

Get a shelter cat and pop a pill. :D

raingirl
August 9th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Some people's cat allergies cannot be controlled with any medication, like mine. I don't get sniffles or red eyes or anything like that. My airways swell and shut down, and I can't breath (usually within 10 minutes of being in a house with cats). Allergy meds don't help with that. So...for people like me, this may be the only cat they could have. Not saying I would spend the money though, I like dogs better.

Ed U KayShawn
August 9th, 2006, 09:14 PM
My big problem with this is, people who try and profit off an animal. It has absolutely nothing to do with the benefit to the cats, but everything to benefit to the people, of course they do not want to sell to just anyone, lawsuits will be involved and of course they are going to promote spaying and neutering as someone else has said they don;t want anyone else capitolizing on their big bucks, and of course they don't want to promote declawing, they will be scrutanized as inhumane and as long as they stay under the safety net of being a research company no one can touch em! Not the humane society, peta, nothing, perhaps the government, but that would involve fines ooooo!! I do not see this as progress for the animals sake. Bottome Line Money, money, money.I do not want to say any more as I have already expressed my opinion enough. :yuck: