Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Mals, cat obsessive

tstav
August 8th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Hi,All
I'm trying to adopt this sweet 4 year old Malamute cross husky,I also just rescued a german shepherd cross rottie who is 10 months old.Any who we also have 3 cats who are dog smart as we previously had 3 dogs but who have now passed on.Well the issue is the Mal, whos name is Anika,thinks the cats are her toys and won't leave them alone,she wants to constantly chase them,and if they don't run and sit there she hits them with her paw,she also nose pushes them.So far the cats have scratched her and made her bleed but this hasn't stopped her,I'm trying to keep them seperate with a gate also giving the cats the chance to escape to the outside. We are keeping a lead on her.Anika's current owner is on holidays,she reasured me before she left that Anika would not hurt the cats as she has grown up with a cat,but the cat was 10,and is now 14 years old,so doesn't move around as much ,she also informed me that Anika,acts the same way with her sister's cat when they visit her ,Anika, will chase the cat,and hasn't hurt the cat.The owner is coming back from hol;idasy on the 15th,she said if things disdn't work out she would take her back,Anika has been working with a trainer now for about 1 year,which has now come to an end the trainer has offered to show or train who adopts Anika what she has learned.My ? is what can I do with her cat obsession,and my cats stress,as I would like for this to work
Thanks in advance
Tom

CyberKitten
August 8th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Did you introduce them properly? Slowly and cautiously - there are details on how to accomplish this on ths site as well as others. Search for Introducing a Dog to a Cat. This MAY (and I emphasie may) be the source of the dog's issues with the cats. It could be less of an obsession and more that she jsut does not yet understand how to interqact with them yet and they of course are not happy with a newcomer intheir midst. If she acts this way with other cats, it may well be a question of training. I am sure she can be taught how to interact with the cats.

You might try starting over with the introductions and work from there, with the trainer you mentioned.

Good luck!!

tstav
August 8th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Hi, Cyberkitten
The trainer finally phoned me back,he feels it's workable he's coming to the house on Friday,he feels she has wolf in her ,but I was talking to the Alaskan Malamute resue coordinator who also does rescue for wolf hybrids for several years she feels she's mixed with husky,anyways I will do more searching etc. and thank you for your advice etc.
Tom:)

pitgrrl
August 8th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Hi, Cyberkitten
The trainer finally phoned me back,he feels it's workable he's coming to the house on Friday,he feels she has wolf in her ,but I was talking to the Alaskan Malamute resue coordinator who also does rescue for wolf hybrids for several years she feels she's mixed with husky,anyways I will do more searching etc. and thank you for your advice etc.
Tom:)

Now I'm really curious, why does the trainer think she has wolf in her, because she chases cats?

jessi76
August 9th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't assume that your dog has wolf in her because she chases cats. Dogs have a prey drive, some higher than others, so it's important to teach commands such as LEAVE IT. I don't think it's an obsession at all, I think it's normal behavior that can be refined with training.

as for your cats stress... provide safe (dog free) zones of your home for them. their food & litterboxes should be in areas that the dogs don't have access to.

and as CK mentioned, proper introductions are key.

tstav
August 9th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Hi All
The reason he feels she has wolf in her is her look,but I feel he is
just guessing.I feel with proper training as everyone has kindly suggested she will be alright;the trainer is coming over to the house on Friday, to show me what she knows and to show me on how to introduce her to the cats etc.
Thanks
Tom

rainbow
August 9th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I have a siberian husky and a lab with two cats. They leave them alone in the house as long as the cats don't tease them.

If both the dogs are outside and one of the cats comes along they will both chase the cat...don't worry, I'm always there to stop them.

If one dog and one cat are outside, they could lay down beside each other with no problem.

On the other hand, if a strange cat came into our yard and I wasn't there, I'd hate to think what would happen.