Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Help! Small accident!

Stryder
January 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I was giving my long haired cat a "trim" around her neck area because it was extremely matted. Well , she turned her head just as the scissors were closing and I snipped most of the whiskers of one side. There is maybe half an inch left. Should I be worried? Will they grow back? Should I make the other side match? I know they affect some senses, that's why I'm worried. Please help!

Stryder

Lucky Rescue
January 29th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Don't worry - nothing drastic will happen and your cat's whiskers will grow back.;)

Cats use their whiskers as kind of "sensors" in the dark, but housecats can manage very well without.

I'm more concerned with the "extreme matting" on your cat. This is very uncomfortable and can be painful. If the mats are down to the skin, you might need to take her to the vet for a shave, and then you can maintain the hair as it grows out and avoid the mats.

amaruq
January 29th, 2004, 08:27 PM
I have a Maine Coon....her hair likes to mat too. I brush her atleast once a week but as often as I can. Mats really hurt your cat as it pulls the skin. It can also cause skin sores. Be gentle with the mats and start from the tip and work in to the skin.
Don't worry about whiskers.