Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trapping Thelma

catsnatcher-CDN
August 8th, 2006, 03:56 PM
For those of you who are not following the Homeless in Winter Thread, Thelma is a feral cat who needs to be caught ASAP.

I once trapped her and the cage broke open. After a week weeks I caught her again and fixed her and released her.

Now I have to catch her again to bring her to her permanent new home.
But she is a feral cat who won't eat inside my oversized, undersized or normal sized cage whether I am one foot away or watching from the second floor. I've starved her, spoiled her and tempted her with rotissery chicken, tuna, wet friskies, dry friskies...She won't eat inside the cage.

ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOMED!
Does anyone have any tricks, advice or inventive ways to catch the uncatche-able?

(One person suggested a tranquilizer gun....I don't have one and don't think someone would give me one anyway :rolleyes: ..unless someone would give me one)

LM1313
August 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Could you disguise the carrier in some way? Like, say, put a paper bag around the outside of it so it looks less like a carrier? Or prop wood up around the sides so it resembles a shed?

Does Themla like catnip? Would she loosen up if she had some or if you sprinkled some inside?

What if you started desensitizing her by putting cat food near the outside of the cage--or even smearing the wet stuff on the outer plastic?

Or, this probably wouldn't work, but . . . what if you got a mouse, put it in a little plastic mouse-carrier, and put that in the back of the big cage? Would she be interested enough to go in and check it out? Of course, then you'd be stuck with a pet mouse. But it might work with a large insect too, like a really big grasshopper?

Another thought: Are there powder or liquid versions of that stuff that makes cats relax for car trips? Because then maybe you could put it in her food and then just stuff her in the carrier when she gets drowsy.

Is this the standard plastic carrier where you can unscrew the upper and lower half? Maybe if you took off the top half she would eat inside the bottom part and then you could gradually inch the top half back on day by day?

OntarioGreys
August 8th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Another thought: Are there powder or liquid versions of that stuff that makes cats relax for car trips? Because then maybe you could put it in her food and then just stuff her in the carrier when she gets drowsy.

Using any kind of sedatives to catch animals can be dangerous, because if you fail in your attempt, that may leave the animal is a state where it can't defend itelf or flee from other animals that mean it harm.

How close can you get to Thelma ?

Maybe you can improvise a throw net using polynetting or fabric type neting from a garden store weighted with a rope around the edge,

like so
http://www.wildlifemanagementsupplies.com/en-us/dept_10.html

CyberKitten
August 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Will she enter a large building whose door you can close, not large enough that she gets lost or finds a hidey hole (tho she will need one to feel safe as you know, hh = a place to be safe, her own little cavern somehwhere) but something she could enter and you could say throw a VERY large trap (like for a moose or other large mammal?) Just thinking out loud here.... (I'll give it more thought) Good luck in the meantime!

catsnatcher-CDN
August 8th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Using any kind of sedatives to catch animals can be dangerous, because if you fail in your attempt, that may leave the animal is a state where it can't defend itelf or flee from other animals that mean it harm.

How close can you get to Thelma ?

Maybe you can improvise a throw net using polynetting or fabric type neting from a garden store weighted with a rope around the edge,

like so
http://www.wildlifemanagementsupplies.com/en-us/dept_10.html

Ya, I was afraid of using gravol or something mild in case she took off and I couldn't follow quick enough.

The net thing is a bit risky because if I miss or she gets away or I make a mistake, it's over.

LM1313,
I've been desensitizing her by feeding her in front of the cage with no problem. But she's not taking that extra step. We were making progress but now it seems she's getting less trusting.

The crate is a Large plastic pet carrier.

I'm going to try to disguise the cage. I think that only works with humans though since animals use all other senses to make judgement calls.

I don't think it's going to work...

coppperbelle
August 8th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Maybe one of those humane traps would work. It looks different from a pet carrier and you wouldn't have to be in sight. You can buy them from Home Depot or borrow one from your local shelter. Maybe hanging a whole fish in it would be tempting enough to lure her in.

catsnatcher-CDN
August 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Does a whole fish smell stronger than Tuna?

That might be a good idea. But the humane trap won't work because she doesn't go in the cage whether I'm there or not.

vfrohloff
August 9th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Where is the homeless in winter thread? I have a feral cat hanging around and I'm worried about the winter. Sorry, I don't have any new suggestions for how to trap the cat. The only way would be to get her into a cage. Have you tried canned salmon? My guys like it much better than tuna.

catsnatcher-CDN
August 9th, 2006, 10:27 AM
ya I tried salmon, they prefer tuna.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22747

coppperbelle
August 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I don't know if a whole fish iwould smell stronger than tuna but it would take longer to eat and you would have more of a chance to catch her.

catsnatcher-CDN
August 9th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I tricked her into eating in front of the cage but she still won't go in.

I threw one frisky bit at a time until she got close enough to eat in front of the cage. I tossed a few inside, she looked inside at the Tuna, the wet canned food, the catnip and took off the other way.

I did this 3 times, she debate it 3 times and took off 3 times.

Tomorrow, again!

If i put a whole fish in there, she's gonna it and run. She won;t stay long enough for me to trap her in. Anyway, I have to watch the smell that the fish produces inside the cage...It's an hour drive to the farm with a stinkin' cage!

LM1313
August 10th, 2006, 09:28 AM
At least she thought about it. *hugs* You're doing such a great thing for those cats!