Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone here ever give up smoking???

heidiho
August 7th, 2006, 10:50 PM
My next mission is trying to quit smoking,but here is what goes through my head,to me it is who i am i am a smoker,i know thet probably sounds weird,but that is the only way i can describe it. When i think about not ahving that morning cig,or after eating etc etc it kind or scares me because i cannot picture myself not doing that,it is who i am,a smoker...Make sense to anyone????:yell: :yell:

Prin
August 7th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Here, Heidi: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28637&highlight=smoking

I understand what you mean about picturing you smoking, but at the same time, it's kind of sad that you consider cancer-causing, nasty-makers a part of who you are...:o :(

heidiho
August 7th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I know it is sad,i really dont know how else to put it,i know it is not all of who i am,but it is what i do???Does that make any more sense,i just cannot picture myself as a non smoker... .It is a scary thing wondering if i can ever be a non smoker,i just dont see it I WANT IT,but cant see it..

angie79
August 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I know the feeling !!! been there done that. It will actually be 1 year tomorow or in 50 mins for me now that I think about it. It took me 2 months to stop daily tracking my achievements and truely become a non smoker but sometimes I still feel the temptation.

Step 1 if you are going to quit do it for you not some one else. if you are doing it for yourself you are more likely to quit, and if you cheet you don't have to feel guilty. (told the bf when I gave in on day 3) and didn't feel guilty.

b.t.w. if you need support here for you!!:thumbs up

heidiho
August 7th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks, and it is definetly for ME..I am just over it,they actually dont even taste good anymore,i am sick of spending 5.36 for one pack, i am sick of addictions having control over me..I think i am more scared of the HABIT of it than anything else,like when i wake up first thing i do is roll over a lite a cigarette what will i do when i quit,after a good meal,after s**..It is just so a part of me i cant see myself without a cigarette,i keep thinking it is mind over matter it is the habit that has gotten a hold of me,but this is a 23 year strong habit,i just dont see how that can be overcome

dragon_queen
August 7th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I quit smoking 3 years ago, it took me 3 months to quit (no patches). I had just lost my aunt to lung cancer and decided it was time. I changed my smoking habits day by day. At first it was just wait 5 more minutes for the 1st one then it was smoking just half at a time. Then it was just taking the bare minimum to work so I had to make them last (2 cigs lasted me the day). After 3 months of this I said enough and just quit.
Don't push yourself too hard, you'll only get stressed
Don't feel you have to do this cold turkey
Ask for patches or gum or any other help if you need it

You can do it, good luck
DQ

badger
August 8th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Heidi, go find one of those stop smoking groups. They are often free, there's a 'leader', and everyone sits around once a week and complains, or shares tips. It's comforting that everyone in the group is going through the same process, having the same successes and little failures, quite fun and supportive. I recommend it (in addition to the patch or whatever other method you are using).

Maya
August 8th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Hi heidiho,
It must be really difficult because I only smoked on and off for about three years and i still get cravings and it's been at least 10 years. The main thing I remember about quitting was that whenever I told someone I was going to quit I always ended up starting again. Right around when I stopped telling other people i was going to quit than i was able to do it. I recall this being a very remarkable part of it, maybe I didn't need to convince myself anymore or maybe I didn't have to worry about letting other people down if I couldn't do it, i'm not sure. I just thought I would share that in case it helped. From experience I think it can feel "comfortable" doing things that are self destructive and then when you do the healthy alternative it can feel quite uncomfortable or "not you" until you get used to the new behavior. Anyway, best of luck and don't put to much pressure on yourself it is a super addictive drug!!!

we3beagles
August 8th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I quit 6 years ago after smoking for 12 ( I started really young). I too felt like well if I'm not a smoker - what am I. i just couldn't picture myself not smoking. What does one do with their hands? What do you do on a break? You need to come up with strategies in advance for what your stressors are. If you smoke in the car have pumpkin seeds or raisens or something to munch on. Groups are very helpful. I had a husband quitting at the same time so he was my support and I was his. I cannot even imagine smoking anymore. The smell revolts me and if I go into a smoke filled bar my lungs feel like they've been through a cheese grater. It is very bad for your pets as well. That was my #1 motivating factor. I was subjecting them to my dirty habits and killing them in the process. Good luck and don't forget to rant and let it all out. Feels really good.:D

heidiho
August 8th, 2006, 02:59 PM
That is one thing i will not be doing is telling all my friends and family,my boyfrined is the only one,and the ins i have covers the classes i am gonna go to one on 8-21,thank god you can relate,because that is how i feel if iam not a smoker what am i,one of those people i cant stand now that complain about smoke>> It will be harder then kicking the meth i think ,and that was THE HARDEST thing i have ever been through,but i keep thinking if i can do that i can do anything,although the meth was usually just like a 3 day binge thing,then eat ,sleep,and do it again,so i really dont know...ahhhhhhh!!!!!! Addictions suckkkkkk

jawert1
August 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM
have you considered regular counseling on top of NA or quitting smoking groups heidi? you've kicked meth, you're quitting smoking, perhaps it's time to get to the bottom of why these behaviours have at some point consumed your life. maybe the local hospital or rehab clinic could point you to a group or therapist like that.

and yes, i quit smoking a few years ago and it was one of the harder things i've ever had to do. but i know i did it, i know others here have, i know some of my closest friends who smoked years longer than i did have quit. it can be done one day at a time, and in the beginning, one hour at a time. but it does get easier :)

heidiho
August 8th, 2006, 04:37 PM
The funny thing is i did have an appt today with a behaviorist but she called in sick..I try to think of it that way to,i mean i NEVER thought i could kick meth no way, no how..But i guess the smoking thing is more of an everyday HABIT thing i think than the addiction part of it,i guess...I will be trying to get to the bottom of my addictive personality problem when i go see the doctor...I jsut think wow after i eat what the hell am i gonna do,when i get in my car to go somwhere first thing,light a cigarette,it honestly does scare to think what if it cant be done..

papillonmama
August 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM
You'll always be you, Heidi, you just won't be a smoker anymore, you'll be a surfer, an animal lover, a girl in love, someone that people care about. You need to think about who you really are, a person, not defined by what you do, but who you are.

I know that quitting stinks, I did it more than once too, I quit with my ex, but stuck with it for myself. I feel like I did something good for me, and now that I'm over the addiction of it, I don't mind being around smokers and I feel a lot healthier.

When I quit, I tried to find other things to keep me busy, I took up knitting, which really helped keeping my hands busy, when I get mad I clean like crazy. I'm sure there were other ways that I kept my mind busy, I just can't remember any of them at the second.

Good luck, smoking is the one of the toughest things to give up, so even if you don't make it the first, or the second or the fifth time, just know that one day you can, it just takes perseverence, just like the rest of life, perseverence.:love:

heidiho
August 8th, 2006, 07:11 PM
That was sweet ,thank you, and i hope if i can do it,i am like that also ,my parents were that way,they didnt mind be around smokers either..They really jsut dont taste that good at this point,i know it is the habit part that is gonna be the killer