Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy keeps nipping at people

gc1288
August 7th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I have a 3 month old puppy and he cant stop nipping at people. I have tried many things and he just doesnt listen. Ive tried ignoring for couple of minutes and he will still do it. I will also show him a toy and tell him to bite this, and he still doesnt listen. Hes very playful but for him, nipping is having fun. He has been doing this for about 3 weeks. Can someone please help me with my new puppy? Thank You

MyBirdIsEvil
August 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM
My puppy got really nippy at 3 months old too.
Telling your puppy to bite a toy will work will for chewing on stuff but not really for nipping.
Is he nipping at hands? If so I would try eliminating any play that involves hands at the moment. Try teaching him fetch or something, it may distract him.
When my puppy would nip I would say "NO BITING" (not angrily just firmly), and turn around and ignore her for a bit. You have to do this a lot, it doesn't always work right away. Keep in mind you have to do this on the FIRST nip every time or else it will just confuse him. Don't wait until he's gotten really nippy then decide to say no.
Also, WHEN is your puppy nipping you? Does your puppy jump on you or put his paws on you while playing, if so he should be taught not to, letting him do this will make it much harder to make him stop nipping.
When people come over he shouldn't be running around nipping people anyway. 3 months of age is when a puppy really starts growing and maturing so you shouldn't be letting people pet him or letting him "meet" them unless he's standing or laying there calmly. Letting him get excited and run around or letting people excitedly pet him and talk to him will only aggravate the nipping situation.

DRN
August 9th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Our 10 month old cocker puppy still nips occasionally. He's more oral than our other puppies were and he definitely nips when he's tired, hungry, or needs to go to the bathroom (he sometimes doesn't realize he needs to go until we take him to his place, then he "remembers"). Think of your puppy like an infant. When babies cry, you start running down the list of "problems" - Are they hungry? Do they need changing? Do they need a nap? You keep trying things until something finally works. It's like that with puppies, too, except some puppies nip. Take your puppy to the bathroom, give him food, or help him calm down by putting him in a quiet place when he gets overexcited and starts nipping. And remember, puppies experience things by mouthing them. He's doing what puppies do. Try not to take it personally or feel like he's disobeying you.

we3beagles
August 9th, 2006, 12:22 AM
what really stopped our beagle puppies from biting was whenever they nip you yipe so they know it hurts. If they do it again growl at them like their mothers do when they hurt a littermate. Capone would just look at me as if to say "OH I'm sorry". As a puppy, a growl would stop Capone in his tracks. He never nipped after a few weeks with us and neither did Bugsey. In fact you can grab Bugsey by the lower jaw and he won't bite down. YOur pup is young enough to respond to a growl. It worked for everything with Capone. It would make him realize he was doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing. Bugsey was our first pup and we made a few mistakes. It took us a bit longer to correct them than it should have...if only I knew about forums back then? le sigh:shrug: