Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone live in Mississauga?

Stacer
August 7th, 2006, 08:55 PM
We are moving at the end of the month, only thing is we haven't found a place yet. We're trying to find something halfway between my job and the man's job, that's Mississauga. Mississauga sucks, the only rentals that we can find in our price range are friggin' basement apartments, and the landlord always lives in the same house. We looked at a few today, they always have "rules", hello we're a married couple in our late 20s, we don't need you to give us rules. Like, no loud music (common sense if you're considerate), no guests (what??? I'm paying rent, if I want to have someone over, I will). And basement apartments are either too dark, or too low (the man's 6'4"). Our plan is to find the cheapest apartment that is within our standards and save like mad for a house. So does anyone living in or around mississauga have any ideas for a nice place to live? Know anybody renting a nice place? I hate the process of finding a new place. Oh, yeah and almost all of the places we've seen don't want our cats to be tenants:sad: We've only been responding to ads that either say pets are OK or don't mention pets at all. We're not even attempting ads that say no pets, so that limits us a great deal.:frustrated:

mummummum
August 8th, 2006, 12:09 AM
What about Mimico or Port Credit Stacer? I see alot of rentals for that area on Craigslist which seem pretty reasonable.

raingirl
August 8th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I used to live in Mississauga, and I now live in Brampton, just north of there. There are a lot of good rentals. Best place to look is here:

http://www.classifiedsmississauga.com/

You can find one bedroom apartments for about $680 to $900.

I recall when I was in university (Erindale College) there were some really nice apartments on Dundas just east of Mississauga Road (near the plaza). I don't recall the exact address, but there are a bunch of buildings there just above Erindale park. They don't advertise, so you have to just show up and they always have a few vacancies.

There are a ton of apartments in Brampton that are cheap if you are willing to go a little north. Do you take the GO to work? There are some REALLY nice apartments right by the GO station in downtown Brampton.

Stacer
August 9th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys. We are looking more towards the north side of Mississauga and have now decided to add Brampton to our search. We might have to do what you suggested, Raingirl, and just go driving around and go into buildings to see if they have vacancies, it just takes more time that's all.

Stacer
August 9th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Do you know what areas to avoid in both Mississauga and Brampton? What areas are undesireable? We saw an apartment at Erin Mills Pkwy and QEW, the whole area just looked run down, and the apartment building was gross, the apartment itself was horrid.

raingirl
August 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM
In Brampton I would avoid along Kennedy anywhere south of Williams Parkway down to steeles. I would also avoid some of the buildings in the area of Bramalea city centre. The ones on the east side of the mall are a little seady, but the ones north and west are ok.

If you drive along McMurchy from steeles and north, there are quite a few nice apartment buildings.

Stacer
August 9th, 2006, 07:08 PM
is the malton area good or bad?

raingirl
August 9th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Umm...along derry road near the 427 isn't that great. That's east of airport road. I would assume that is what you mean by malton (that's really the only area in malton I know that has any apartment buildings). I have been told that most of the buildings in that area are bug infested. What type of pricerange are you looking for? 1 bedroom or 2?

wdawson
August 9th, 2006, 09:31 PM
and i would avoid the dundas apts raingirl posted.......they are run down now....i was there last friday (the large building at credit heights) just before the plaza at erindale.

wdawson
August 9th, 2006, 09:35 PM
try oakville.........there are apts on whiteoaks blvd and ones on marlborough court that include all utilities except phone and close to the go station

Stacer
August 10th, 2006, 04:49 PM
thanks, oakville might be too far west, but if theres' stuff in the north east end that would be ok, i'll look into it.

Stacer
August 18th, 2006, 07:47 PM
We finally found a place! After much searching and viewing some pretty crappy places. It's in the Meadowvale area. It seems like an OK area. So now our worry is how to move with the cats. We think they'll adjust really well to the new apartment since they travel alot to my parents house and alway enjoy exploring their new surroundings and make themselves at home. We just have to figure out a strategy for moving day. I'm thinking the best way to do it would be to close them in the bedroom of our current apt, move everything into the new place, then on our last trip take the cats. I'm also thinking of maybe buying some more plug in pheremones and plugging it in before the cats arrive so the new place is all pheremoney for them. Anyone have any other suggestions for an easy kitty move?

chico2
August 19th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Stacer,glad you found a place:thumbs up
I would do what you already said,empty a room first,leave the cats there with their litter,food and water and keep the door closed,so many cats disappear on movingdays.Let them be the last ones to move in.
I am sure they'll adjust fine to the new apt,they might be a little stressed at first,might even have some"accidents",but with all their familiar smells around them and their people,they'll adjust.
What is pheremoney??

Stacer
August 19th, 2006, 10:02 PM
What is pheremoney??

lol, I made it up. I used it in place of saying that we will make the new place smell like pheremones, ---pheremoney!