Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it too late to get a 2.5 month old pup in the beginning of October?

Violeta
August 7th, 2006, 01:07 PM
I am just a little concerned about the fact that the winter is coming in Nov-Dec and it may be harder to socialize … :confused:
I will go to puppy classes and all that stuff but I do not know if this is a good time to get a pup. (it will be a Maltese)

TIA :)

Puppyluv
August 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM
There are no months that are better than others to get a dog. I got my girl in november, and had a great winter of socializing!

jiorji
August 7th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I'm with you on that one. I might get a young doggie in december/january and I too am somewhat concerned about socialization, since it'll be winter and not many people hang out around winter.

I guess the best thread would be to ask for advice on socializing your pup in winter Violeta. I guess the best thing to do is to take your pup with you everywhere you go, friend's house, malls, etc.

mummummum
August 8th, 2006, 01:35 AM
My grrrls came home in October and they had a blast roaring through piles of leaves and eventually snowbanks. As they were so small they came EVERYWHERE with me ~ usually in a little basket. I didn't find socializing them to be a problem at all ~ we found lots of doggies to play with in our nearby parks. If you will be going to puppy classes and "playgroups" no doubt you will meet other small dogs and their people and can arrange "playdates".

Prin
August 8th, 2006, 07:01 PM
We got Boo in January... He was older (about 6 months) but we still had to socialize him to death. I found it easier in the winter because the people who are outside in the winter are tougher and can handle a big doggy without running away screaming.:D

Violeta
August 9th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I am going to puppy classes for sure but I have no idea of where to find "playgroups".

I have found some Chihuahua meetings or something like that but I will have a Maltese – not that there is a big diff in size …lol

Smiley14
August 10th, 2006, 10:27 PM
A new puppy--how exciting! I too got my dog, Petey, in October. I just bundled us both up warmly and braved the dog parks. To my surprise, it was actually pretty crowded! :) You'd be surprised how many people are still out and about with their dogs regardless of the temp!
Puppy class is a GREAT start! Try off-leash dog parks once your puppy is old enough or walking in regular parks, pet stores, etc. Playgroups are great as well if they're offered in your area. Check with your trainer, pet store, or vet, they would know of any recommendations for you. Take him with you when visiting family or friends as much as possible, out running errands (if you're allowed to bring him along that is!), etc. Just keep him as much a part of your daily life as you can and purposely make trips where you know you will see people/pets/children/distractions/etc. The more the better. :)

Have fun and post pics once you get him/her! :thumbs up

technodoll
August 10th, 2006, 10:31 PM
you might want to check out those petstores which host cafes, where owners can sit, have a cup o'joe and let their doggies play and interact in the store, walk away with a new treat or toy... great for smaller dogs. or look into doggie daycare a couple afternoons per week. have no fear, true dog owners brave the snow and the cold to socialize & exercise their dogs, LOL! good luck! :thumbs up

Violeta
August 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM
wow, you guys have some great ideas!

:)

PetFriendly
August 12th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Just an idea, but you might want to also get a rain coat and warm winter coat for the dog. (If you can sew its cheaper to make them yourself and it'll fit better). With a coat on you'll eb able to stay out longer and brave the elements (and you won't be able to use 'its cold out' as an excuse to skip the walk!) Boots might be a good idea. For those, its worth paying more as they'll last longer. If you search for boots on the site there were a few good threads last winter.

Here are the winter and rain coats I made for my dog (the white one) and his little friend.

PetFriendly
August 12th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Here are the winter coats, the little yorkie's coat has two layers of fleece along with the courderoy, and for the most part, he didn't get cold.

Angies Man
August 20th, 2006, 12:25 AM
No, it isn't as pleasant walking your 4 month old dog in early December :yell: as in August, but it isn't impossible. Puppies are very resiliant and tolerate the cold okay. Here's Angie's winter coat:

http://myfiero.com/uploads/3480_.jpg

Prin
August 20th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Nice coat Angie! :)