Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

More bad parenting.....

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2006, 01:07 PM
When I took Layla for a walk today in the park, little did I know I would be encountering a crowd of hundreds on a anti-war protest. Because of the crowds, we took a different route and headed to the opposite end of the park where the people weren't gathering. As I was walking home, Layla and I were walking along, minding our own business, playing with a stick, when out of nowhere, this kid came running full speed towards her, with a flag (the kind people fly from their car windows) and started swinging it at her and hitting her. :eek: He hit her about twice before I could pull her away out of his reach, and I told him "NO! You do not do that to my dog!" Until this point his mom was laughing. As soon as I said this, she went insane! Screaming at me that I have no right telling her son what to do, who the hell do I think I am, etc etc. :yell:

SERIOUSLY!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD????:mad:

we3beagles
August 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
you should have told her that no only would you tell her brat what to do because obviously she wouldn't, but if he keeps it up you will report the little s**t for animal abuse. Amazing. Some parents refuse to teach their children right from wrong and are surprised when the rest of the world objects. :mad:

Skryker
August 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Unbelievable! Hope they don't have a pet at home.:frustrated:

technodoll
August 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM
i would have just said "fine, your kid hits my dog, then my dog gets to bite your kid, fair is fair" and let her deal with that. or perhaps i would just have bitten *her*. stupid b*tch! :frustrated:

jesse's mommy
August 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
If she would have said that to me I would have grabbed the flag and started hitting her and ask her how she liked it? Then I would have told her that I was going to report both her and her bratty kid for animal abuse. I hate people!

dtbmnec
August 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM
My mom unfortunately deals with those sorts of parents all the time. She's never backed down when they went off on a tangent and she's actually had them ashamed by the end of it. She works at the library and for the most part the children will climb on the security doors/fences and my mom is the one who has to tell them to stop. Never goes over well and when the parent does step in they talk in such a wishy washy voice its no wonder the kids disobey anyway.

I have seen parents like that (in fact I used to babysit for one...it didn't last long) and I hate it when they do that. I vow to teach my child the right thing to do (I've actually vowed quite a bit of stuff too lol) and I won't let my children abuse my pets. Chances are Leo/Pawz will still be around by the time I have children and they will be taught how to treat an animal. :)

What's wrong with theworld? Everything...I mean Anti-teen sex advocates fear that the new cervical cancer shot will make teens more apt to have sex :confused: go figure....:shrug: (last time I checked most young girls aren't going to think "hmm well if it protects me against cancer it will protect me from pregnancy and STDs so I'm going to go out and have rampant sex with every guy I see!")

Megan

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 6th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Wow some people - obviously this women doesnt know how to treat people or animals with respect - I would have told to her to go somewhere :evil: that rhymes with smell.

rainbow
August 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I'd have told her she should keep her bratty kid on a leash. :D

Maya
August 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I wonder where the child learned that this behavior was funny and okay!!! Parents like that need SERIOUS help, unfortunately they are the least likely to go get it or accept it :frustrated: She was probably quite abusive if she started getting "insane" like shouting and screaming, it was probably just a taste of what she is like when people aren't around:(

OntarioGreys
August 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM
She won't be laughing when her child is 12 and 13 and is finding him in courts or when he is 16 and 17 and decides he can pound on her

jiorji
August 6th, 2006, 08:05 PM
ugh! I hate those kind of moms. God forbid you accidentally say something wrong while their kid is up in your face being annoying!

LM1313
August 6th, 2006, 08:30 PM
See, I think this is the kind of kid who ends up in the news mauled by dogs most of the time. You would THINK the parents would teach them better--for the sake of decency AND for the kid's safety! :mad:

dtbmnec, I know what you mean . . . Do people seriously think teens are saying, "Well, I thought about having sex, but then I realized I might get CERVICAL CANCER!" Yes, I'll bet that's a huge deterrant. :rolleyes:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 6th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Walnut wouldn't bite someone with me there, but she would have grabbed the flag and destroyed it.
I know because I've seen my b/f's nephews waving stuff like sticks around her (not hitting her), and she grabs them and runs away and either hides them or proceeds to destroy them.

~michelle~
August 11th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I live downtown so deal with this all of the time when walking the dogs. i had one kid who had a ball on a string and threw it at my dogs head twice!!!! the first time his parents said something and the second time they laughed! arrrg. ive also had parents yell at me when their kid pets my dog (out of no where came up from behind us!) and my little braxton doesnt like kids but he just gets scared and runs away but this startled there kid and they yelled at me!
the best you can do is use the opportunity to try and tell the kids how to approach a dog. if their parents havent done it yet they prob never will, but it doesnt mean they cant learn from you! I sometimes do after school programs with children and i will use every opportunity that comes up (they see a dog walking by etc) to teach them on how to treat animals!
my parents taught me this at such a young age, i cant believe every parent doesnt do this!

Maya
August 11th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I like your response to this thread michelle, if people in the community don't take the opportunity to teach these kids in a compassionate manner who will? You are doing a great service to them and hopefully preventing some future abuse:thumbs up

Luvmypit
August 11th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Oh man that is awful! What did you do when she started going off??

You ever notice when you were growing up everyone had a friend whos parents where the cool parents, let them do as they please, gave them everything they wanted. Never told them no and acted like their friends rather then there parents? What I noticed was when those kids grew up they had less repect for their parents, complained about them more and generally had less of a friendly relationship with them.

I thank my parents for whooping me into shape, making sure I had morals and lived by a code of ethics. I always tell my step daughter one day you will be happy we cared enough to give you rules and discipline. It really does hurt the parents more then it hurts them and you really don't realize until your a parent yourself. It is much easier to be a childs friend then their parent, its the easy way out and as far as Im concerned very selfish. Im glad my parents where "hard on me" and expected a certain respect be given to them and all others. That when I did something wrong I knew clearly there would always be consequences. That is what this kid lacked, leadership and guidance and as we know we can't blame all dogs for their behaviour but rather their owners. The same applies with kids and unfortunantly as with dogs children learn the hard way.

Im sorry you had to go through that. Its scary because as you can imagine this child is less likely to be a caring and gentle spirit specially towards animals if this is "funny" to his mother. Very sad!

phoenix
August 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
That's terrible!

I was at a busker (street artist) festival last week, and there was a child acting really obnoxiously and yelling loudly during a performance. The performer made a couple of jokes (saying shhh, being funny about it at first) but nothing worked. Finally he stopped his performance and turned to the mom and said "Ma'am, could you, um.... be a parent??"

I was on the floor. He got an extra big donation at the end of his performance from me!!!

Prin
August 11th, 2006, 10:58 PM
You ever notice when you were growing up everyone had a friend whos parents where the cool parents, let them do as they please, gave them everything they wanted. Never told them no and acted like their friends rather then there parents? What I noticed was when those kids grew up they had less repect for their parents, complained about them more and generally had less of a friendly relationship with them. Yeah, I know a few like that. They don't have much respect for anything really, especially not authority.:rolleyes:

Honestly, if anybody hits or attempts to hit my dogs, whether they're young or old, I lose it. If we don't protect our pets, who will?

rainbow
August 11th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Honestly, if anybody hits or attempts to hit my dogs, whether they're young or old, I lose it.

Yeah, Prin, I can just see you beating on an elderly person. :D

Prin
August 11th, 2006, 11:38 PM
No, I don't beat them, but I have yelled at my fair share of old men. One practically called Boo over just to try to hit him. :frustrated: hoooooweee did he get a lashing from me. In French no less. My french is ok, but thank goodness they teach you all the important words first.;)

technodoll
August 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM
totally with you there... you do NOT hurt my dog! or you'll get a hellcat on your head :mad:

Lise
August 14th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I'm not the most authority minded parent,but my kids know how to behave around pretty much any animal.They learned it by seeing how our animals are treated by us.I feel very sorry for children who grow up without any pets in their lives or who do not learn how to treat them.There can be such special bonds.Poor kid stupid parent

rainbow
August 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM
but I have yelled at my fair share of old men.

LOL...do you have alot of :crazy: old men in Montreal? :D

Prin
August 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
A lot of dog haters in Montreal depending on the area...:rolleyes:

rainbow
August 14th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Sure glad I live in B.C. :D

Geoff and Kathy
August 15th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I can toitally empathize with your experiences - I'm a teacher (although mob herder is sometimes more appropriate) and I've seen first-hand what some kids are like. It's quite funny, but a lot of kids I have taught live in my area of town and it's inteesting to see how they react to my dog. Almost to a rule, thew kids respectful in class try to treat Biscuit well. The little so and so's I've taught either ignore him or try to provoke him (that's stopped very quickly - I'm a pretty big, loud guy and NO ONE picks on my little dog.)

Sigh. It makes me shake my head and be glad for birth control.