Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grass & Leaf Eating

scotswop
August 6th, 2006, 10:33 AM
We have a 10 1/2 week old Beagle Cross. He is constantly trying to eat the crass or sticks his head under the fence to get to the leaves on the neighbours plants. We have managed to get him to stay out of our garden and not eat the leaves. As this is my first dog, I am sure grass and leaves are not a good thing to have in his diet, but telling hime no isn't working. Distracting him only works for a few minutes and then he's back at trying to eat the grass.

What do you do to deter him. After a while I scold him, and bring him inside as punishment, but I don't want to keep him inside as he's a growing puppy and needs to run around a bit.

Any ideas?

Marion63
August 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Hi and congrats on your new little puppy.
As for eating grass, I have been told that it is merely because there might be something lacking in his diet. Or they may have a tummy upset. Some dogs eat grass to start vomiting. My dog loves to eat grass, only a certain kind though. as for the leaves, mmmm I don't think that is good.
What I suggest is, when your dog starts to sniff leaves, hold him by the collar or leash and pull him away from it, and tell him in a stern voice..LEAVE IT..and praise him for leaving it.
I am always worried that there might be pesticides on leaves or something.
A dog does not know these things yet. Be consistent and he will be fine..Marion

jesse's mommy
August 6th, 2006, 11:12 AM
You definitely need to learn the leave it command, but you need to learn it properly. Tenderfoot is the resident trainer and I'm sure she has posted it on here. You could probably do a search under her name and the command to find it.

DRN
August 8th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Eating grass and leaves can also be a sign of constipation and your dog is instinctively trying to get roughage in his diet. It could also be an indication of stomach upset due to a food allergy or other dietary issue. If it persists, call your vet.

LM1313
August 9th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Some animals just like the taste of grass. :) It's not always because of an upset stomach or unbalanced diet, although those can be causes sometimes. I would worry more about the leaves, since some plants have poisonous leaves.

dogcatharmony
August 9th, 2006, 08:39 AM
my dog loves to eat grass.....when she was a pup i took her to the vet because i was concerned and he checked her out and nothing was wrong. he told me that some dogs just like to eat grass because they can. he also told me that if a dog vomits up grass that is a when they can have a serious problemm. i would stongly urge u to still take your pup in for a vet visit it cant hurt and it sure put my mind at ease. but as for leaves i would watch out as some could be harmful to your pet

jiorji
August 9th, 2006, 10:49 AM
grass actually has many nutrients for dogs and cats. It's advised that we actually give grass to cats, and dogs eat it too.

nothing to worry about, just watch out for poisonous plants he may want to eat. So i'd research if the leaves he eats come form a poisonous plant.

Smiley14
August 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Both my cat and dog love to eat grass when given the opportunity! My vet said it was fine. She said if they started throwing it up, it could be an indicator of other problems though. So far so good though. :)
Leaves can be a different thing though. As other people have posted, some types of plants/leaves can be poisonous to pets. I got a list from my vet and only planted flowers and perennials that were safe and only keep safe indoor plants as well. I bet you could google for a list too though. The other concern would be as others have mentioned, pesticides and such. I don't let Petey eat grass except for my backyard and the dog park as I know they are both pet friendly places. :thumbs up

scotswop
August 11th, 2006, 06:21 AM
We are going to the vet today for Buddy's shots etc., so I will ask him to be sure. His favourite thing now is to race around the back yard, nipping at the tomato plant leaves as he goes by, just to get us to chase him. He also tries to mouth the rocks we have on the side of our deck. I think it is no longer that he wants to eat either, just that he now sees it as a game. I ignore that he has them in his mouth now and just tell him it's time to go inside. When he gets inside, he automatically drops them, so it seems to work.

rainbow
August 11th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Please don't let Buddy eat tomato plant leaves as they are toxic. Here is a list of toxic plants that you should look at:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_toxicplants