Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

miss destructo strikes again

technodoll
August 6th, 2006, 10:21 AM
the little bitch strikes again... about two weeks ago i wake up to this, maika is into gardening lately and reshaping our furniture, but this one really took the cake. i LOVED that plant :mad:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/technodoll/destructo1.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/technodoll/destructo3.jpg

she is definitely a handful next to dakotah, who hardly destroyed anything in the house. sigh. she now has to be crated during the night if she's not in the bedroom with us... and also during the day when we're at work. feel like crap for doing this, poor girl, but what is the alternative? :frustrated:

Prin
August 6th, 2006, 10:46 AM
lol :D I grew up with a lab and have two labish doggies now and I don't find that they chew too much, but then I see a thread like this and realize, I don't have any plants for them to dig up, so how do I know they wouldn't if given the opportunity?:D I think over the years, I've just become so unaware of how dog proofed my house is all the time. Sounds like you need to lab-proof your home.:D

They say not to yell because they won't remember, but IMO they do. I always ask them "What's this?!" and point to whatever it is. Then I usually go into a disappointed rant like, "why would you do something like that? Do I not give you enough food? Attention? What is it because all I'm trying to do is keep you happy and the minute my back is turned, you kill something I love? I just don't get it." And I find the tone of my voice while I rant makes them feel guilty enough.:D

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Oh, TD I feel your pain... Layla destroys plants the minute she's alone in a room with one. I've had to give up having indoor plants.. it was getting too expensive :(

Frenchy
August 6th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Maybe the plant was getting too big for the pot and Maika just wanted to ...help? :D Kelly (foster) went on a rampage last Thursday,destroyed ; 1 pair of boxer shorts,2 tank tops,multiple parts of carpet and my bed's "contour" sheet.I can't believe she took the cover and sheet off the bed to completely shred the "drap contour".All topped with pee in every spot of destruction.:mad: She is now crate if I'm not there :frustrated:

jesse's mommy
August 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Thankfully Jesse never got into plants. It would definitely be a disaster here considering we have plants everywhere. I'm so sorry that happened (but I am laughing too because we've had our fair share of "surprises" too:frustrated: ). I guess you need a bigger pot with some chicken wire around it. :crazy:

jiorji
August 6th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Awwwwwwwwwww....poor plant!! It was so young and had such a bright future ! And....and....*tear*....it never really had a chance :yell:

Skryker
August 6th, 2006, 11:50 AM
That is why my few remaining plants live in the bathroom-with the door closed. :evil: The puppies really like their salad fresh!

technodoll
August 6th, 2006, 11:53 AM
i feel better already :o that plant was given to me by my mom like 15 years ago so it was sentimental. it was just the last straw, since i had to "rehome" two of my biggest & beautiful plants with my neighbor a few weeks ago, as Maika always had her nose in the dirt and i couldn't bear to see them chewed up anymore (and why this always happened in the wee morning hours, i'll never know). and yes i did scold her, she knew *exactly* what she had done - but it's like the temptation is worth the scolding, you know? :frustrated: do you think dogs "outgrow" such behavior or am i doomed? BTW she is constantly rolling in smelly dead things and poop now, whenever she can find it, even if she knows this is forbidden behavior! it just kills us! :yell: sometimes i want to rehome the little terror, grrr. but it passes quickly :cool:

Prin
August 6th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah, they slow down on the chewing eventually.... For the rolling, we noticed with Jemma that there where really, really subtle signs before she rolled, so now we catch her beforehand. We never let her sniff one place for more than a second... That won't go away- it's more of an instinctual thing.

trippincherri
August 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Once upon a time when Shelby was little I lost a precious plant too lol, that was the only one she ever touched and then she moved on to chewing the coffee table and shoes. She did grow out of it and I'm sure Maika will too, now Shelby has a yard full of flower beds and a house full of plants and she don't so much as glance at them, well....she does like to eat my chives outside!! Go figure...gotta love the onion breath. Good luck with her though, keep sentimental things outta her reach and try to give her positive reinforcement by telling her NO! and then offer her a bone or chew toy instead.