Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

People say the oddest things...

pitgrrl
August 6th, 2006, 09:09 AM
This summer has been a pretty good run, very limited nasty comments about my dogs. They've actually made a ton of friends, many more than me actually.....
In the last two days though, I've gotten some really weird reactions to Basil and Streets. The first was this older man, who leans over his balcony to look at the dogs and says "oh, they're very beautiful".
I said thank you and kept walking, only to have him continue to say, with a big smile on his face, "they must really give a good bite". Huh? For sure buddy, I'm just walking around looking for their next victim........

Then, yesterday, I'm standing outside a store with the dogs and these two girls approach and ask if they can pet the dogs. Basil and Streets, always happy to meet people, are wiggling away with tongues flying. One girl starts telling me how much she loves female pitbulls and the other brings up the Ontario ban. We're chatting about the dogs, when the first girl says "you need to be very carful they don't turn on you though". Again, huh?, didn't she just say how much she loved female pitbulls? Is it only the males that "snap"? I better hurry up and take both dogs to the SPCA, they're already 5, they could snap any minute.......

I did actually end up talking to the girl about how dogs don't just snap one day, etc.....but it seems so weird to me when people say these types of things as though they are part of regular friendly conversation, like they just want to make sure I know to be careful. If you thought that a dog might just snap and rip your arm off, would stand there petting it?

Skryker
August 6th, 2006, 09:26 AM
The amount of "knowledge" that people have and are willing to share is astounding. :rolleyes:

It's kinda like when people approach a very pregnant woman and start telling labour horror stories. Gee, thanks.

Prin
August 6th, 2006, 12:02 PM
"you need to be very carful they don't turn on you though"People have told me that so many times in the past- especially about dobies. I've never had a dog turn on me ever and I don't know anyone who has (unless they were somehow abusing the dog).

People suck...

rainbow
August 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I was walking with my last two siberian huskies (R.I.P.) one day and had someone ask me if they were tame? :rolleyes:

Some people are just morons. :eek:

BernerLver
August 6th, 2006, 06:25 PM
someone ask me if they were tame? :rolleyes:

Ugh! Sometimes it's embarassing to be a part of the human race

If these people had brains they would be lethal weapons! :frustrated:

pitgrrl
August 6th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I was walking with my last two siberian huskies (R.I.P.) one day and had someone ask me if they were tame? :rolleyes:

Some people are just morons. :eek:

:eek: That really takes the prize.

It's amazing to me that people think you'd just be walking around in public with some psycho beast that is prone to randomly biting people. Just this evening a whole family was led into St.Urbain (for all the mtl. people) traffic by the father, because evidently they were less likely to get hurt by Montreal drivers than by two, leashed, heeling dogs who aren't even looking at you.
I could seriously write a book about all the weird human behavior that comes out in the presence of my dogs.

Luvmypit
August 11th, 2006, 04:49 PM
last comment I got on my pit was and I quote " thats a dope a$$ dog still"
Like we worried that it dropped from the list of the dopest dogs and we wondered if he STILL was dope. Whew thank god I ran into that guy. On the same day a little dog was fevioursly barking at capone and the owner said " ya right buddy he could eat you for breakfast" and the otehr owner said ya wow what a big dog. What? He's only 60 lbs and looks 40 lbs. and still gets mistaken for a puppy. Meet prins dogs and they tell me about big. lol

One time Prin someone told me that Dobies has an extra special way of smelling fear and that you couldn't even pretend you weren't afraid because they would know. LOL i laughed in her face which was rude but it was so funny. I felt bad because the lady was so serious when she said it.

Catt31
August 11th, 2006, 10:41 PM
ya right buddy he could eat you for breakfast" .

Some people say that about Brick too, he is a big excitable boy, who, from afar, apparently looks like a rottie (he is rust colour!) :frustrated: and people with little dogs walk the other way :rolleyes:

I usually say to small dog owners that Brick $hit$ bigger than them....and that gets a laugh, as opposed to..."oh he'll eat you for breakfast"... MAN, people are stupid!!! :eek:

I agree with you BernerLvr, it is embarassing to be a part of the human race!! IF ONLY 90% of the world were like dogs!!! :thumbs up

LibbyP
August 12th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Het Catt31 nice to see you back! My big girl gets the same response 'ya right buddy, she could eat you...'. But the best I think I've heard is from a little person my daughter was playing with at the trailer, telling her that pitbulls have two rows of teeth, one at the front that you see and then another set farther back:eek: This little person argued with me because his mom told him so... what ever, I told him to tell his mom she was mistaken:frustrated: thank goodness my daughter takes after my hubby in being diplomatic was like 'No they don't Grandma's dog only has teeth on the top and bottom just like mine' good (smart) girl:angel: didn't see the little boy for the rest of the weekend:shrug:

Catt31
August 12th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks Libby!!! It's good to be back - been crazy busy with this house!!! Ugh!!!

HAhahahha, that is a good one - two rows of teeth....WHAT is wrong with people???? :eek:

erykah1310
August 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM
When I first got Keira ( RIP gurlie) she was 70 lbs and 8 months old ( regular Rottie size) I was walking on the board walk with her and her behaviourist ( she had issues with men with long hair) One lady came up to me and asked me bluntly " What do those dogs eat??.... Kittens?" AND SHE WAS SERIOUS!!!!!:frustrated:
YES LADY, I ROUND UP ALL THE HOMELESS KITTENS FROM THE SPCA AND THATS WHAT I FEED HER.... ITS a Rottie FAVORITE!!!!:yell: :frustrated:
It is almost embarassing that I am from the same species as people like her!

Maxine
August 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Oh.. my.. god... This is so funny and at the same time, you would like to brag them in some therapy session lol!!!!

One day I was at the depanneur and I always tie my dog at the same place. I came out and there was 3 elders. One with a "canne" you know, to help to walk? like a stick? Anyways, he said that Lex was scared of him. I said well I think its because of your "canne", he doesnt know what to think of someone with 3 legs. He said he seems kind, is he? Oh yes he is don't worry! He is still a puppy and it's good to let him socialize a lot! The guy said well i guess later he will be a mean dog... with a big mouth like this, he WILL bite! I was speechless:eek:

Well I untied my dog and wish them all a good day and walk home, still on shock:(

Maxine

Prin
August 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM
last comment I got on my pit was and I quote " thats a dope a$$ dog still"
Like we worried that it dropped from the list of the dopest dogs and we wondered if he STILL was dope. Whew thank god I ran into that guy. On the same day a little dog was fevioursly barking at capone and the owner said " ya right buddy he could eat you for breakfast" and the otehr owner said ya wow what a big dog. What? He's only 60 lbs and looks 40 lbs. and still gets mistaken for a puppy. Meet prins dogs and they tell me about big. lol

One time Prin someone told me that Dobies has an extra special way of smelling fear and that you couldn't even pretend you weren't afraid because they would know. LOL i laughed in her face which was rude but it was so funny. I felt bad because the lady was so serious when she said it.
Yeah, well, Capone is dope. What's wrong with that? He's the dopest. :shrug: :D
lol My doggies are tiny!! :D Well, Jemma is... to us...:D She's 60lbs of tiny. Boo, by weight, is tiny- only 87 lbs. But he's way tall. Taller than my last dobie, who was also tall for a dobie... My dad said this week that he noticed that I like my doggies "leggy".:D

My dobie used to sense fear... Then he'd run and hide in the bathroom to avoid whatever scary thing was going to happen.:D

My man's auntie is terrified of dogs and we told her to come meet ours and she said no, "TRUST ME, they'll KNOW I'm afraid and they'll CHANGE. You won't even recognize your dogs!" I said, "no, trust ME, they won't. I know my doggies inside and out." They don't have any bad thoughts about anybody, especially not vulnerable people. So she came over and hung out on the porch while the doggies played outside. Boo even brushed her leg (GASP!!) and she was ok...:D