Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scottish terrier and electric fence?

colette1
August 5th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I would like to put in an electric fence but have heard that Scottish terriers will take the shock and run through it. Does anyone out there have a scotty and an electric fence and has experience to share?

LavenderRott
August 5th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I might be a bit less concerned about a Scottish Terrier running out of the yard "protected" by an electric fence then I would about anything passing by coming into the yard.

While they are pricey gimmicks and may work well for people with low drive dogs - they are next to worthless for people with active dogs. The little shock that the dog gets is nothing compared to the reward of catching whatever prey the dog might be after and will keep a dog from returning home (when the adrenaline of being "on" has worn off) through the shock.

Also, part of my reason for wanting a fence for my yard is to keep stray dogs and people who might intend harm to my dog out. An electronic fence is worthless in that capacity.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 5th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Any breed of dog can learn to run through an electric fence.
I've known very few people that actually had their electric fences work effectively. Most of the dogs just ran really fast through it and were gone.
It might work if you have a normal fence, like if you have trouble with your dog jumping over or digging under the fence, but by itself I don't think it's that great.

mastifflover
August 6th, 2006, 04:52 AM
I am with Lavender on this they will not protect your dog from other predators and some dogs the shock does not bother them enough to keep them in.

jesse's mommy
August 6th, 2006, 07:55 AM
We had an electric fence in Maryland that we brought here to Florida. It worked great for us, but there are a few things that we did/didn'tdo. First of all we didn't live in a neighborhood that we had to worry about predators or people just coming into our yard, but we did have a corner lot that we had to make sure we had something (and fences weren't allowed in this neighborhood). Second we never let her out on her own, we were always with her. Third, we followed the instructions with training her. Did the flags, the walking up until the beep was heard and all that stuff. Worked like a charm. Now that we are in Florida, we have 3/4 of our yard fenced in. It's fenced from the neighbors on each side of us and the front, but the back that goes to the lake is not fenced. So we have the fence set up about 25 feet from the lake and she knows not to go there. The only way she can go there is if someone is with her. But of course a lot of times Daddy forgets to put the collar on her before she goes out so it's not necessarily consistant any longer. But in Maryland, it was great for us.

Prin
August 6th, 2006, 11:33 AM
There was a lab that used to live down the street from me that didn't care about the shocks. You could see the pain in his face, but he didn't care and took off anyway.

Ed U KayShawn
August 8th, 2006, 07:02 PM
hi, we recently installed a pet fence and we got the deluxe where you can adjust the level of correction (shock) zap whatever! up to level 5 of course you read the directions and start out low, then once the training is complete then you increase the level. We have 2 large dogs and 2 acres. We tend to leave the flags up as this works my dogs will not go near them. We live on a highway and although we are very far back from it makes me feel better for them to have the visual of the flags not just the beep! We have never (knock on wood) had a problem and my sp.female has a very strong prey drive but not when she sees those flags! The training as tedious as its is pays off in the end. We do not let them stay out unattended either! However we find it works great.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
August 9th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I would not resccomend it . . .

Do Scotties need a fenced yard?
Scotties have a very strong hunting instinct and cannot be trusted not to chase anything they consider prey. For that reason, they should be safely confined to a fenced area or on a leash at all times. They should never be tied or chained unattended, as they can get into trouble or be harmed.

An electronic fence is not suitable for Scotties. They will easily endure the zap to chase a squirrel or cat out of the fenced area, but then will not return through it to come back into the yard. Many Scotties have wandered off into the street to be killed by a car when they could not get back into their own yard. Electric fences are also dangerous because they do not deter other animals or people from coming into the yard, but will not allow the Scottie to escape to safety. Most rescue groups will want to know if an electric fence is used for security.
Source: Scottish Terrier Club of America (http://clubs.akc.org/stca/faqs.htm)

I own a Scottie and they have a tenancy to be a very high prey-driven dog. I keep Hamish behind a six foot privacy fence and have had no problems; if I had just an electric fence, I am certain he would go through it if he saw a squirriel.