Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need help with bothersome skunk

dogcatharmony
August 5th, 2006, 09:58 PM
i have looked high and low in the archives for some help ( all i have found is how to rid of skunk odour) but i have a pesky skunk that has decided that my backyard has some awesome kind of worm or grub in my lawn that needs digging up every night. i have no garbage, no food, not anything in my backyard but yard and the little skunk keeps coming back everynight and digging to his/hers heart content for something living in my yard. i also have a dog that has been sprayed ( thank god only once so far...........so no longer has the nights to herself in the backyard) i tried to take a pic tonight but it was too far away to be in focus .......i read they could spray 15 feet so i am not getting close lol. it is quite brave also i have been very close ( i was going to the gararge and just happened to look up and it was maybe 5 feet away digging merrily..........i didnt move but was talking to my dog to stay away and the skunk did not care.........he even comes and looks in my back screen door to my kitchen.........brave little fellow.) anyways enough rambling on..........does anybody have a humane way for me to get rid of him??? i have been told various methods by my neighbours ( one of whom keeps chickens in his yard) but there is no way in H^() i would try any. i live in sault ste marie if that helps anything . i hope someone can give me advice i feel for the little guy but i dont want the spraying of the dog..........that is just yucky.......if i didnt have an outdoor animal i wouldnt worry and let the little fellow go about his buisiness but i have a fur baby to care and she comes top of the list

MyBirdIsEvil
August 5th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry, I have no advice. Other animals can be trapped with a live trap and re-released but obviously the skunk would spray you, lol.
Do many other people live around you? I wonder if it's staying around because someone is feeding it or leaving cat food out for their cat.
Skunks used to come around my grandmothers apartment building (right in the middle of a city with 2 million people), because people had cat food out, which they love, and some people would actually throw food to them. There used to be a whole little group of skunks, and one of them even had 4 babies one time.
I dunno of anything that deters skunks, though I could try searching for you.
Maybe if you spray insect repellent on your lawn it will kill whatever the skunk is trying to eat :confused:
Then again your dog might eat the grass and get sick, so I dunno.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 5th, 2006, 11:03 PM
What about something like this? It would probably be worth a try.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/skunk/skunk-control.php

There were also several sites that said plain fox urine (which is apparently sold in bottles :yuck: ) will keep them away.

kaytris
August 5th, 2006, 11:11 PM
how about a motion detecting water sprinkler? Turn that on every night, and hopefully skunkie will get the idea...

LibbyP
August 6th, 2006, 12:04 AM
kaytris that is so funny:D do you not think that skunks go outside when it's raining?;) I have live trapped a skunk on the farm and re-located it safely(no spraying involved) came across it in the daytime very quietly put a blanket over the trap, gently lifted the trap and moved it elsewhere, but trust me I looked like a freak doing it, I was scared crapless of getting sprayed. I'll paint you a pic: industrial size garbage bag covering 3/4 of my body including my head,rubber boots, dust mask, and thick goggles, I think if the little skunk had woken up he/she would have laughed/ screamed in terror and then sprayed me:eek: :yuck: . Can you rent live traps from pest removal in your area? Or why don't you just have them come out and take care of the whole thing? Good luck

Golden Girls
August 6th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I had a skunk problem once where she chosed to live in my cabane. They can be so stubborn and she too challenge our every attempt. It was scary because she was huge. The way I got rid of her was by putting a few empty cans with small rags add 1/4 amonia. It soaks it up but doesnt evaporate. Spread the cans every so many yards ... apparently they don't like the smell ... it worked.

Golden Girls
August 6th, 2006, 12:20 AM
LMAO @ Libby

MyBirdIsEvil
August 6th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Golden, I think they don't like ammonia because maybe it smells a bit like fox urine (that's what all the sites I saw recommended, fox urine or ammonia).

Lmao Libby, I don't think I would have been able to make myself try to live trap a skunk. Just smelling that smell while driving down the road is bad enough :yuck: , I don't think I'd want it on me.
Yes the garbage bag etc would have helped if you got sprayed, but what about when you were taking that stuff off :p

coppperbelle
August 6th, 2006, 06:41 AM
The reason that skunk has chosen your lawn to dig is because you probably have white grubs. They are a very tasty treat for skunks at this time of year when they are abundant. The white grubs are eating the roots of your grass so by digging the skunk is actually helping you rid them. Next summer you will notice the grass is completely dead in that area. I don't know if there is anything you can do to get rid of the grubs this year but you can spray in the fall so that they don't reappear next August.
I had a groundhog problem a few years ago and bought a product called "critter ridder" at the local hardware store. It worked with the groundhog. Another thing I have heard is to have a man go outside and pee around the area. It is kind of like marking his territory however I have no experience if this works. :D

LibbyP
August 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Ha Ha Ha and your all laughing at me, I can just see the hubby and li'l one running around the backyard peeing on everything:eek: Oh and for catching the skunk on the farm, we didn't have a choice, this was part of our job, we also caught opossums, groundhogs, racoons, we were trying for the opossums *very dangerous to horses. Now back to the subject if you have grubs(which is way the skunk has picked your lawn) I remember another thread in [off topic-gardening] I believe about yucky grubs in your grass and getting some sort of toads? These are not dangerous to your furkids. Not sure I just know were are getting some later this summer for our lawn. Oh ya no more laughing at me;) just kidding, it was really crazy looking

Skryker
August 6th, 2006, 08:41 AM
There are nemotodes (sp?) that are availible at garden centers and such which are a natural way to be rid of the grubs. They are some type of small organism that kills the grubs and don't harm the lawn. I think you spread them in spring and fall, though.

I've heard that leaving a radio on an all talk station will deter skunks-they don't like the sound. Dunno if it works or not.

kaytris
August 6th, 2006, 09:44 AM
big difference between a sudden, unexpected direct spray from a hose and rain.

Was just a suggestion.... it's harmless and worth trying. A lot easier than live trapping, anyway.

Prin
August 6th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I had a groundhog problem a few years ago and bought a product called "critter ridder" at the local hardware store. It worked with the groundhog. Problem? Why problem? I have a groundhog and I love him... What do they do? (sorry for the hijack)
Here's my guy (we left the shed open and he went in for a short visit).
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20Boo%20June%20July%202006/groundhog.jpg

PetFriendly
August 6th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Along with the human pee (which really does work, we've had to try it!) you can also try keeping the back yard well lite. You wont the lights to be on all the time, not just by motion detector as they will figure out how to avoid it.

See if you can figure out where its sleeping and concentrate the pee there and focus the lights there as well. Keep the lights on for two weeks to make sure the skunk doesn't come back.

dogcatharmony
August 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
thankyou for all the information..........and tonight im going to start trying them out...........althought my hubby is still laughing at me telling him he had to pee in the yard. i told him to do it for the dog and the neighbours think we are weird already. LOL i also noticed last night that i have a raccoon now to.........and he is a big fella and he seems just like the skunk no fear. i was standing beside him.....i didnt see him i was to busy looking for the skunk and oh boy when i turned around he gave me quite a start. looks like i got the wild kingdom going on in my yard...........i think they can smell animal lover and know i wouldnt hurt the little fellows lol

coppperbelle
August 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=Prin]Problem? Why problem? I have a groundhog and I love him... What do they do? (sorry for the hijack)
Here's my guy (we left the shed open and he went in for a short visit).
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20Boo%20June%20July%202006/groundhog.jpg[/QUOTE

The problem was that she was eating all my plants. I had spent a small fortune on perennials and annuals and she was eating them all right down to the root. I was also afraid that one of the dogs would get ahold of her and hurt her. I sprinkled the critter ridder around the flowers that I didn't want her to eat and it was enough to deter her and off she went. I live in a residential area bordered by all kinds of forests where she could move to safely which she did. The critter ridder has some smell in it that they don't like. It is also effective on deers but I don't know if it will deter skunks.

Prin
August 6th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Ahh... Ok... I don't have any prized plants or anything.:o Thanks though.

Herp-Art
August 7th, 2006, 12:04 PM
We have the same problem here in Colorado...pesky buggers, I tried all the motion detecting garb....to no avail! Moth balls! they help if you put them around the property perimeter...I have also made a spray...1 large onion, 2 jalapenos, a habanero, 1/4 cup chili powder...chop all up , boil in a covered pot !!!!BEWARE!!!! fumes and steam from pot are quite toxic!! turn off pot, and let cool...strain and put in a spray bottle, Spray where ever you do not want the critters 2 be! Good luck & Blessed Be!! Art

Prin
August 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM
BEWARE!!!! fumes and steam from pot are quite toxic!!I know! And it can stay in your system for three months, even if you get the smoke second-hand.:D :crazy:

LibbyP
August 7th, 2006, 07:53 PM
big difference between a sudden, unexpected direct spray from a hose and rain.

Was just a suggestion.... it's harmless and worth trying. A lot easier than live trapping, anyway.
Not to worry, I thought it was funny:D , talking with mama samoan, she said she had tried that and the little buggers kept chasing the hose

Herp-Art
August 8th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the quote of BEWARE...cant stress that enough, if you take the lid off while cooking MAKE sure not to get burned by the steam!! NOT only it it a heat burn but a Capsican burn...it takes 4-6 weeks to heal and is VERY painful! ALSO, this spray will not harm vegies or fruits...just wash prior to eating! and keep in mind it only lasts 3-5 days(less in rainy areas) so you will have to reapply on a regular basis....BUT IT IS A NATURAL & NONCREWL solution!! ART