Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ack!!!! I am suffering from puppy fever

OntarioGreys
August 5th, 2006, 07:48 PM
The last several months I have been hit with a desire to get another puppy, I got Nikki as a puppy 8.5 years ago late winter and I learn that is the worst time of the year to get a puppyanmd swore it would be my last puppy and from then on I would adopt mature dogs, 3 adopted adulted dogs later the desire for a puppy has hit again <sigh> Had thought at first it was just a temporary phase I was going through and the urge would pass as i already have 3 dogs, I work fulltime and am at my pet limit, several months has passed and the desire is even stronger, and I have found myself torturing myself wander to different breed sites. looking at breeds personality groomig etc. Bad..... because now I now found one I would like to get :(

http://ccrested.tripod.com/id26.html

Anyone else in the same boat?

Rottielover
August 5th, 2006, 07:51 PM
he is so small, you can hide him, no one would be the wiser. But is there a chance that your greys may see him as prey?? just a question

jiorji
August 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
why is winter the worst time to get a puppy?

he's so cute! at first i thought he had horns :rolleyes:

mastifflover
August 5th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I love puppies and do get the fever every once in a while but I just do not have the time to train a puppy properly. Then I remember all the messes and chewed things and remember why I would rather save an adult dog. I love your greyhounds but can I ask WHY a Chinese Crested?

PetFriendly
August 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM

A little off topic, but of all the pups I've met that were afraid of thunder, all of them were fall pups that went home late fall or early winter... There's also the issue of going outside in sub zero weather that can't help house breaking much ;)

PetFriendly
August 5th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I've been wanting another dog too. I'm going to wait until the spring and see if that want is still there. I was going to adopt an older dog but trying to find out that's compatible with cats, small children, small dogs, going in the car, walking on busy streets, I'm just not sure I'm going to be able to find something and I'm thinking that teething and house breaking can't be all that bad (ok, so it really was that bad, who am I kiding!!!)

OntarioGreys
August 5th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Believe me I have been thinking about hiding him. inorder to do so I would have to fence in an area of yard near one of the windows at the lower level of the house , the window is big enough for me to go through. theside door is too visible to the neighbors was thiking I could put a garbage can in there so the neighbour think I erected it as a storage spot to keep wild animals like raccoons or skunks away from the garbage, very little snow builds up in that area which is another bonus, so I figured it is possible, though for walks I would have to transport him by vehicle to the park which I do with Maya anyway because of her extremel fearfullness I don't feel either of my greys would see him as prey with a proper introduction, Sunny is my high prey dog but has been around toy breeds before including my mom's shihtzu and a friends yorkie, Maya I am not too worried about she was scared of the kitties for a long time.

PetFriendly
August 5th, 2006, 08:25 PM
You'd really only have a problem if your dogs are 'problem dogs' and one of your neighbours is out to get you... Otherwise, all you're doing is taking care of your brothers dog until he gets back from being posted overseas :D

OntarioGreys
August 5th, 2006, 08:27 PM

he's so cute! at first i thought he had horns :rolleyes:

His ears are taped to help them stay standing upright as the cartilage hardens there is no surgery needed

If you get puppy that doies not like the wet and cold trying to get them to potty outside in no picnic and going outside in the middle of the night standing in freezing rain holding your umbrella over the puppy to keep it dry while you get drenched in freezing cold water or when it it windy and freezing cold while still in your Pjs does not make for easy time getting back to sleep :p

OntarioGreys
August 5th, 2006, 08:31 PM
A little off topic, but of all the pups I've met that were afraid of thunder, all of them were fall pups that went home late fall or early winter... There's also the issue of going outside in sub zero weather that can't help house breaking much ;)

Nikki was a winter pup, no problems with thunder. Maya was a spring pup May 20 she is my thunderphobic dog, Sunny was born in June a bit thunderphobic but I was able to desensitize him

jiorji
August 5th, 2006, 09:54 PM
If you get puppy that doies not like the wet and cold trying to get them to potty outside in no picnic and going outside in the middle of the night standing in freezing rain holding your umbrella over the puppy to keep it dry while you get drenched in freezing cold water or when it it windy and freezing cold while still in your Pjs does not make for easy time getting back to sleep :p

shrug. I might get a winter puppy. I obviously overlooked some things lol
umm sorry didn't want to get off topic

it's funny how you want something even more when it's forbidden :eek:
But he's small enough...if anyone finds out you can just say he's one of the cats hehe:dog:

we3beagles
August 6th, 2006, 12:08 AM
you want another puppy?.....try fostering one for a while. It will bring back to old resolution to always get older dogs. Everytime I get a puppy it is soooo cool....for a weekend. When I have to get up every 3 hours to take them out and then go to work it's like "Oh ya, that's why". I cry everytime they go though. The last puppy I had was asleep on my chest when his adoptive parents came to pick him up. The second I closed the door I collapsed in sobs. Ohhh..... now I want a puppy. Time for another foster.:D

MyBirdIsEvil
August 6th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Am I the only person who liked having a puppy in the winter?
I liked going out in the cold and snow at night(I love snow anyway), better than out into the heat, with all the mosquitos and all kinds stuff.
Plus walnut learned to go potty really quick since she didn't like staying out in the cold.
Then again, here in Missouri it doesn't snow much normally, and it doesn't get as cold as up there in Canada.

Oh yeah, as the topic of the thread, lol.

I'd love to have another puppy just like walnut, but then I remember when she got older and started rebelling and stuff, so no, lol.

SnowDancer
August 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM
We adopted our Eskimo at age 13 weeks - and I was 54. Youngest dog until him had been 6 months. Plan had been to get a dog at least 3 years old and while I wouldn't give up my little guy for anything, in the unlikely event we were to ever adopt another dog, he would be at least 5! My Eskie just turned 28 months - will be a puppy until he is 17. Re trying to hide the puppy from the dog police and neighbours, I would be very nervous about it. You wouldn't want to have a problem and have to give up one of your dogs - and I know my neighbours would report me in a nanosecond.

PetFriendly
August 6th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Nikki was a winter pup, no problems with thunder. Maya was a spring pup May 20 she is my thunderphobic dog, Sunny was born in June a bit thunderphobic but I was able to desensitize him

I think that the pup needs to be less than 6 months old before its first thunder storm so it can learn not to be afraid. I'm not sure when the second fear period is, but they have to have heard thunder after the first fear period and before the end of the last period I was told.

LibbyP
August 7th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I also get the 'puppy itch' every now and then and then I give my head a shake:rolleyes: ;) just kidding I think I have had the puppy itch for the past 2.5 years, I came to the realization that now is not the time for me to get a puppy, housebreaking,chewing, etc... the list goes on and on, ontop of having two small children. That is why we went with the big girl, she came to us at 3yrs. I wouldn't trade her for anything. Do you get along with your neighbours? Do you see one extra small dog being a huge problem with them? Tell them your fostering? But I really like the posted overseas brother line:thumbs up . I still like to look up breeds and puppies (no harm in looking;) ) makes the picking easier when the time comes. I got two of my dogs as puppies in the dead of winter and wouldn't change it, very quick potty breaks, not to hot no bugs, only trouble I had come spring is that they didn't know where to do their business anymore:o

OntarioGreys
August 8th, 2006, 07:16 AM
I am still fighting the temptation, the bylaw is here worded a maximum of 3 dogs on the property, so using the excuse that I am fostering or sitting would not go over, getting caught would mean having to get rid of a dog, now if I could convince people that it was a hairless cat instead, I would be in luck as I can have as many cats as I want.

Maybe Nikki was not meant to be a winter puppy, every time I used to take her outside for a potty break she would just sit on my shoes or boots and cry, because she did not want stand on the snow and wet grass to go potty, even today she will try to hold it 18 hours or logger if it is raining inorder to avoid getting wet unless I go outside with her :rolleyes:

SnowDancer
August 8th, 2006, 10:38 AM
My Eskie has NO problem with getting wet - and the muddier the better - and also has no problem with the snow - as long as I am freezing my butt off with him. He doesn't like flies though - one landed on his nose and he jumped up for protection. My hero.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 8th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Walnut hates going potty in the rain too.
She never minded the snow as a puppy, I guess becuause she'd pounce and play with it and then just end up having to go.
She'll actually stand out in the rain looking sad and staring at me for 20 minutes (at least), when she could just pee and come back inside, lol.

PetFriendly
August 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Charley loves the snow, he was actually potty trained when there was still snow on the ground so we ran into a little trouble when it all melted :eek: !
The rain is something different, he hates getting rained on. Mud is fine, wet grass is fine, he'll drink from the tap and play in a wading pool, but he will not pee in the rain, he won't even go outside unless you have an umbrella!

erykah1310
August 8th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I get the puppy fever FREQUENTLY, it passes though as I cannot possibly give proper love and affection to 3 dogs and a puppy. However, GOD FORBID... when the day comes when i start to seriously look for another dog ( after mine head to rainbow bridge) I know i want to adopt an old dog who has been in the shelters for a while and later get a pup. ( From a breeder) however I will have the debate of Rottie or Cocker Spaniel ( american):shrug:

Prin
August 8th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I think that the pup needs to be less than 6 months old before its first thunder storm so it can learn not to be afraid. I'm not sure when the second fear period is, but they have to have heard thunder after the first fear period and before the end of the last period I was told.Jemma was born around the first day of winter and she doesn't care about thunder. My dobie was born August 1st and I have never seen a dog so terrified. I really think it depends on the dog more than the birthday...

I get the puppy fever too.. Well, more of just a third doggy fever... Right now, I'm hooked on a senior retired show dobie (she's 11). Two weeks ago, it was a baby red dobie named Bentley. (It's a dobie phase right now).

rainbow
August 8th, 2006, 07:31 PM
My husky was born in January and isn't afraid of thunder. My lab was born in July and isn't afraid of thunder.

My last two huskies loved the snow but absolutely hated the rain. My husky now loves both. He loves going in his swimming pool and plays with the water coming out of the tap. He loves playing under the sprinklers and biting at them. He follows me around when I have the hose on and loves to be sprayed.

My lab, on the other hand, who is supposed to be a water lover, hates the sprinklers and won't go in their swimming pool until after it's filled with water. And he runs into the garage when I have the hose in my hand and I spray the water in his direction.

joeysmama
August 9th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Cooper was born in August and came home in mid November. He is not afraid of thunder, or firecrackers or bubble wrap or flash bulbs. He was afraid of going into the basement and the car when her first came home but after two times of doing both he is fine with them. (I made sure all car rides were to go someplace fun for him.)

Joey was scared of EVERYTHING.

Cooper also likes to go out more in winter than summer. He loves the snow.

jesse's mommy
August 9th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Jesse has no fear. She's not afraid of anything -- oh wait -- except Jack Russell Terriers, but that's because one bit her on the nose. :o

Angies Man
August 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM
My Eskie has NO problem with getting wet - and the muddier the better - and also has no problem with the snow - as long as I am freezing my butt off with him. He doesn't like flies though - one landed on his nose and he jumped up for protection. My hero.

I had an Eskie back in the late 80's. She didn't mind going out in the weather either. Loved diggin in the mud. I ended up giving her to my cousin who trained her to step in a cat litter pan full of water to rinse her feet! Nice little dog, but really hated Bruce Springsteen--would howl when Bruce sang "Tunnel of Love". Probably the most idiosyncratic dogs I ever owned.

Prin
August 19th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Anyone else in the same boat?We saw a man with two brindle greys today... I want one too.:o