Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cooper's adolescence

joeysmama
August 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM
When we first got Cooper I was pretty pleased at how he became housebroken with just a small bit of consistency. Once or twice he barked to go out, but after that would sit by the door and look at us intently until we noticed him.

Now, at 11 months, we have a new Cooper. This Cooper has indoor facilities. (He seems able to hold it for a long time during the day. In fact, if I take him out too often he just doesn't go. He has to really *need* to go. )

He never sits by the door or gives us any indication that he wants to go out even if it's been awhile and I know that he must have to go.

So I've gone back to the same routine as when he was a pup. I only ever take him out the same door every time. I put his leash on and pause at the door asking him if he has to go out. (I think that's where he got the "sit and look" method, lol. He sits and looks at me while I ask)

I praise him when he goes and give him a treat when we come back. On afternoons when it isn't blazing hot he gets a walk after he piddles and poops.

This all worked once and I'm hoping it works again. We'd lost some constistency to the routine.

But......when we get up in the morning, most days, he has piddled on the living room floor. I'm glad he doesn't go on the carpeting in the family room. At least it's easier to clean up the wood but on a muggy day the odor comes up. We always take him out at night, the last thing before we go to bed.

So now we're getting up a little earlier to try to catch him before he goes. Someone told me to take away his water at night but that sounds wrong to me.

If he was able to hold it all night at 4 months why are we having problems at 11 months !?!?!?:frustrated:

Is this a teenaged rebellion or could it just be that he's drinking more since it's summer or what ???

angie79
August 5th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I had some of the same type problems with my cooper, at about the same age. where he seemed to regress and chew things pee in the house.... My post is some where in the many threads of pets.ca.

Every one told me it is normal rebelillon and to make sure to be firm with my little pupadoodle......

It only lasted about 2-3 weeks.... and now he is a perfect angel (in my eyes).

Keep smiling. like everyone on pets.ca told me its normal. it will pass.:thumbs up

Prin
August 6th, 2006, 12:16 PM
You're sure there's nothing medically wrong that is preventing him from holding it through the night? Maybe he needs to be confined to a smaller space at night? I think you're doing the right thing in restarting the training and keeping everything consistent.:)

tenderfoot
August 7th, 2006, 10:11 AM
If he is getting sufficiant water during the day then night time without water is fine. It prevents him from loading his bladder which makes him have to pee at night.

Always make sure his health is good when you see a change in drinking.

He might be regressing a bit - that just means you have to go back in your training a bit. This should pass providing its a behavioral issue. You stay diligent with taking him out, don't let him load up with water at night and all should be well soon.

joeysmama
August 7th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Thank you for the advice and encouragement. He's been to the vet and is in good health. My husband said that when he went downstairs this morning there was a fresh puddle so we're going to set the alarm for a little earlier tomorrow.

An I emptied his water bowl a little while ago, after I made sure he had a drink after his last walk.

Maybe I should pull out the baby gates I used when he was younger to give him a smaller space.

Or....we could stop spoiling him and letting him think he's the king of the castle.;) :king:

tenderfoot
August 7th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Maybe I should pull out the baby gates I used when he was younger to give him a smaller space.

Or....we could stop spoiling him and letting him think he's the king of the castle.;) :king:

He is showing you that he can't handle the larger space - he literally messes up. So a smaller space is wise for now.

Spoiling him is a whole other issue and you already know the answers to that. :p

DRN
August 8th, 2006, 11:55 PM
In all likelihood it's a training issue and you've received good advice, but this behavior is also consistent with a kidney, urinary tract, or prostate problem (I assume Cooper is a male). They feel like they have to go but they can't until it hits them unexpectedly, often in the middle of the night. Animals and people can have mild kidney, urinary tract, or prostate problems but still be/seem in good health. If this problem persists, I would ask the vet to evaluate this on your next visit.