Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! - housetraining, nipping, chewing issues

Jeff.P
August 4th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Hi everyone,

Our puppy is a Lhasa Apso named Starka and is almost 16 weeks old, and we are having a few small problems.

The problems are:

Peeing on the floors (She is doing so well with her paper training, but not quite there :) )

Biting and nipping at my fiance and myself.

Chewing on furniture and other stuff.

This is the first dog I have had since I was younger. We both love her very much and are hoping to find a little help here.

LavenderRott
August 4th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Hi Jeff!

Just for reference, what do you do when she pees on the floor or takes a nip at you or your fiance?

Jeff.P
August 4th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Peeing on the floors if we catch her in the act we tell her no, take her and put her on her paper/training-pad, and tell her "you pee here". If we find a "surprise" we just clean it up.

For the biting I tell her "no biting", and then ignore her for a bit. My fiance told me she says "ouch", and she'll start licking instead.

Not sure those are the right or wrong things to be doing.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Those methods are just fine.
When my puppy used to nip I'd say "NO BITING", and turn around and ignore her, and I'll tell you, she was BAD about it, she put puncture marks on me more than once lol. We tried the ouch thing, but for some reason she used to think this meant "pounce on the hand!" :rolleyes: . She's 10 months old now and hasn't nipped in several months.
As far as paper training, I don't think saying "you pee here" is a good phrase to use because there's several words involved. I'd say "paper" or something like that because it only contains 2 syllables. So you could just say "NO" bring her to the paper and say "paper" and it would be much simpler to her.
After she does use the right spot, give her a treat and lots of attention.

LavenderRott
August 4th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Perfect!

You might try redirecting her biting and nipping to a toy that she is allowed to chew on instead. But you are doing the right thing.

As for your furniture and such, you should be crating Starka when you are not home or available to keep an eye on her. If she should start to chew on something that she shouldn't - redirect her chewing to something appropriate.

These things take time and consistancy. Consistancy being the key.

Yanagi
August 5th, 2006, 12:53 AM
And the chewing on furnitures and other stuff, you should try getting a Kong toy. It's really good. Dogs love it if you stuff food in there and they will spend hours to get the yummys out.

PetFriendly
August 5th, 2006, 12:18 PM
For the chewing, you can also try to soft nylabones or the ones called Booda Bimples, from experience, I'd get medium or large sized ones (my guy is only 15 lbs and much prefers thelarger sized bones). My dog likes the flavoured stuff better than plain ones and never showed any interest in kongs once he'd cleaned out the stuffing.

For the nipping, be careful with substituting for a toy, my dog taught my room-mate to get him a toy by nipping her :D ... Ignoring is better IMO