Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Local man mauled by cairn terrier

LM1313
August 4th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I'll link up to the story if they ever get it on the internet, but for now I'll just summarize the article in the paper.

A man was walking his bull mastiff and passed by this other guy (a sheriff's deputy, actually) walking a newfoundland and a cairn terrier off-leash (which was allowed in that area.) The cairn turned around, ran back and started attacking "in a fighting frenzy". The man got ten bites on one arm, a dozen on the other, and various bites on his ribs, shoulders, and thighs. Some bites were from the bull mastiff, which was trying to defend him but apparently was missing his target (the cairn.)

The deputy LEFT instead of helping him! As the guy sat in a pool of his blood, the bull mastiff licked his wounds, which the man said revived him and probably saved his life. He managed to get home and his wife took him to the hospital. At one point the doctor said he might lose his arm.

Now comes the part where it gets stupid. :mad: Animal control proceeded to impound the bull mastiff and hold him under quarantine for ten days. Then he was EUTHANIZED with permission of his owners (the dog bite victim and his wife)!!! I am so angry over this!

Nothing was done about the cairn terrier at all, the deputy didn't even get issued a citation.

babyrocky1
August 4th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Just when you think nothing else can shockyou, you here something like this....I hope hes taking some sort of legal action against animal control!

LM1313
August 4th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Oops, I meant to post this in the news section. :o Anyway, the article is finally online if anyone wants to read the whole thing. (It's long!)

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local/story.asp?ID=143294

mastifflover
August 4th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I would be suing the Sheriffs deputy and it would be the Cairn in quarantine. I cannot believe the dog who probably saved his life was PTS by his owners. I think that is just as disgusting. I am sure any bites by his dog were not intentional just by the dogs reaction in the aftermath, licking his wounds. There needs to be an investigation into this but I am sure it will just be swept under the rug.

gomez
August 5th, 2006, 08:14 AM
How did the cairn reach the guy's arms and ribcage?

LM1313
August 5th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I was wondering that too. I assume it was either jumping (not sure how high a cairn terrier can jump, but a Jack Russell can jump that high) or that the man had fallen to the ground. (He was 57 years old, maybe not so steady on his feet?)