Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Morgan needs Help

weldfamilypet
August 4th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Morgan is a 4 year old Biscon. We resqued him from a shelter two years ago. He had lived with a elderly lady from birth. Morgan's main problem is going to the bathroom both ends everywhere in the house when we are not at home. When we are at home he will let us know he has to go out and go to the door to be let out. But when we are gone he just goes where he wants. We now put Morgan in his kennel while we are gone. I want to be able to leave Morgan out any Ideas on stopping Morgan from going while we are gone. We always take morgan out before we leave. We never feed him and leave. We put him on a schedule and feed him at night when we are home. Any Ideas on what we can do?

Mahealani770
August 4th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Hello there,

I suffer the same problem you do, only it's with my male Pomeranian, Nicky, who is a 4-5 year old rescue.

1.) Is Morgan neutered? Sometimes that helps and I assume he is since you got him from a rescue group. Also, make sure he doesn't have an underlying problem like a UTI.

2.) You said you have him on a feeding schedule. This is a good thing as being in control of what goes in, means you're in control of what comes out.

3.) Have you considered that Morgan may have some separation anxiety issues? If he has been with one person all of his life up unitl now, he's probably confused and a little sad. Is he going potty in the crate? Sometimes dogs with S.A. will potty in their "dens" to surround themselves with thier own scent. Apparently this makes them feel safe and comfortable. This is what my dog does and it is VERY difficult to help him stop doing it. If he is going potty in his crate, take all blankets and/or towels out of the crate to make it less comfortable for him to do his business in.

4.) Another idea is that Morgan is simply marking his territory and obviously this is not permitted in the house. You can correct this by prasing him A LOT, each time he goes potty outside. If he pees/poops, praise like crazy and/or treat him. He will eventually get the connection that doing his business in the house will get him nothing, but doing it outside gets him a lot of love and treats.

It's possible that since Morgan lived with an elderly lady, that he simply wasn't house trained properly or was allowed to do his business anywhere he pleased (nothing against elderly people, but you know what I mean).
Morgan has a long way to go before he can be left alone and out and about while you're gone. Try giving him a little space at a time.
I couldn't stand putting my dog in his crate while we left, so we decided to try baby gating him in the kitchen, a little space at a time. If he didn't pee or poop for about a week, we gave him more room and so on and so on. Nicky has come a long way, but will never be allowed to roam free while we're gone, but atleast he won't be stuck in a crate all day. So, give it a shot and let us know how it's going! Good luck! :fingerscr :thumbs up

~M~

Prin
August 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Good post Mahealani770.:thumbs up

Some dogs just need to be crated for their own good, and it's nothing to be ashamed about or feel guilty about. Too much space when he's alone might cause him to be anxious and he might have to gradually ease into bigger and bigger spaces as Mahealani suggested...

That said, since I've been doggy sitting this little one, who is over a year and still not house trained, it could be the way he was raised.. The owner of the dog I'm watching thinks that the dog pees out of spite (not on the pee pads) and things when she's not home and she feels guilty and doesn't do anything about it... You might just have to start from scratch on the housetraining...

Or if there's no medical issues, being that he was with an old lady, maybe his bladder capacity is just lower and he just has to get used to holding it longer.

jessi76
August 4th, 2006, 04:05 PM
We resqued him from a shelter two years ago. He had lived with a elderly lady from birth. Morgan's main problem is going to the bathroom both ends everywhere in the house when we are not at home.

has this been an on-going problem for the whole 2 yrs you've had him? or is it a new problem?

btw - welcome!

weldfamilypet
August 5th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone!!! Yes this has been a problem for two years. When we think he has been good and go outside in his spot for about a week or longer we start to open up more space. Then out of the blue we come home to find he has relieved himself again. We have and still give him a (that a boy) and a treat when he goes outside. He even knows when he has been bad. When we come home and find something he puts his head down or goes to his kennel. He is a smart dog but just can't be trusted.

PetFriendly
August 5th, 2006, 01:13 PM
A week isn't really long enough. Try expanding the space more slowly. If you can, get an x-pen and iuse it for a few weeks. Once he's releable in there, expand the space to part ofa room, then a whole room, etc.

Chances are that the reason it isn't working is because he can do his business in one part of the house and live in another part.

Be patient, make changes slowly, and if you go too fast, take a step or two back and try again.

Mahealani770
August 10th, 2006, 01:41 PM
"Good post Mahealani770." - Prin

Thanks Prin...I try lol :shrug:

LavenderRott
August 10th, 2006, 02:19 PM
From the day Rusty came to live with us, he has been crated when no one is home. Not only does it prevent him from having accidents on the floor, but it keeps him safe. This will most likely be the way things are done until he dies of old age. He is safe there and really doesn't need to have the whole apartment to nap in.

OntarioGreys
August 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone!!! Yes this has been a problem for two years. When we think he has been good and go outside in his spot for about a week or longer we start to open up more space. Then out of the blue we come home to find he has relieved himself again. We have and still give him a (that a boy) and a treat when he goes outside. He even knows when he has been bad. When we come home and find something he puts his head down or goes to his kennel. He is a smart dog but just can't be trusted.

His behaviour has nothing to do with being bad nor should you ever discipline him in anyway if you are not catching him in the act of going as this only causes more worry to an already anxious dog, this behaviour is related to anxiety, he become anxious when you are away, he is probably running around the house looking for you, the activity combined with stress and worry of you not being there creates a loss of muscle control , therefore causing him to pee and poo, that he has absolutely no control over. By crating him you are providing him with a den that he feels more safe and secure in so he is not obsessively worrying, in his case the crate is a haven not a jail