Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need help and opinions?

amaruq
January 27th, 2004, 09:56 AM
i came from a board that a person asked advice about a hyper dog. The advice was to really hit the dog a few times to get it's attention.
Please people am I the only one that sees this as abuse? I have had abused animals and still deal with the after effects.
Do you all think there is any reason to hit an animal to comply with training demands. I'm really upset about this...it bothers me to know that there are people out there..that think this is acceptable?

marrielle
January 27th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Physical punishment is in my view abuse. I can't imagine a trainer actually using these methods. Not only is it cruel but it won't work either. Positive motivation is the only method that will deliver solid and lasting results. In my experience a dog will not work for someone he/she hates. Also "hyperactivity" is IMHO often not that at all but a lack of exercise, companionship and work to do that many dogs suffer from. Anyway, I can see why you're upset about it!

homer
January 27th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Hi,

There is no reason WHATSOEVER to hit dogs when you train them.

It's much kinder and more effective to use rewards and non violent/non aggressive punishment.

Hitting a dog can easily confuse it into thinking it is being attacked and it may then respond instinctively and actually bite.

There will always be people with dumb ideas - ignore them.

Homer

Spoiled
January 27th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Hit the dog really hard a few times to get it's attention????:mad: Thats crazy. MAYBE a tiny tap to get attention, but not great big smacks. This is cruel. I think the way to get a dog's attention is with food, or with a slight snap on the leash. NO HITTING!!

mona_b
January 27th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Did you respond to the post and ask the person if they were on Crack?

I would have.:D

amaruq
January 27th, 2004, 03:43 PM
What I said when I responded :

I told them they were an abuser. I don't listen to nor do I respect abusers.

I can't imagine hitting my animals.....I just can't

amaruq
January 27th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Ok now i'm really upset!!!!

The people on this board think I'm crazy for not wanting to hit my dal???????
They are literally telling people to wallop their dogs!
If you all want the web address if you don't believe me email me and I will give it to you. It can't be just me that thinks this is wrong?

mona_b
January 27th, 2004, 07:05 PM
OMG

They have B*LLS.

People are just sick and need help.....

Yes,I definately believe you. And I want the site so I can give them a piece of my mind.

You have a pm:D

Spoiled
January 27th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Whats the website? Can you just put it on here so I can go on and really get at them? I'm going to really give it to them;)

amaruq
January 27th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Here is web site:

http://www.sanderson.no-ip.com:8080/dalboard/index.cfm

My name is the same as here.

Carina
January 28th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Well, I have to say I went & read the discussions there...I wouldn't call it abuse. These people sure are living in the past as far as training dogs, though.

Someone needs to send them a couple of articles on positive/motivational dog training, or suggest they read any of Pat Miller's books or articles (she rocks.) As an aside - my Cooper is in her latest book, demonstrating "leave it." :)