Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

going camping

raingirl
August 3rd, 2006, 08:43 PM
Any suggestions? This will be Odin's first time in a tent. We set it up last weekend in the yard, and he was very interested in it. He tried to jump on the walls a few times though.

We are only going one night to Emily Provincial park (my sis has a spot there this weekend, so we are just dropping by for one night to "test" how Odin react to camping). I know he is not allowed on the "designated" beaches, but he should be allowed to go in the water in other areas right (if we find somewhere that we can get in the water easily?) because Odin LOVES the water.

We are bringing a lot of water from home, we have a pet safe bug spray. We have lots of towels, blankets, and such.

I was debateing bringing his crate, because I don't think it would fit in the tent with us.

Do you think he will get cold? He's never seen a fire either, so this should be interesting.

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
If he does get cold, he can always cuddle with you...

Bring a ton of dog towels.. They come in very handy.:)

Smiley14
August 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Oh how fun! Petey loves camping! I've taken him on several trips up to the Boundary Waters (between MN and Canada) and our North Shore area. He loves it! I was very nervous the first time I put him in a canoe...thought for sure he'd tip us over! But he did so well. And he wasn't bothered by the tent either. He was a little nervous at first by the wind shaking the walls and would lift his head a lot, but now he is used to it and sleeps like a baby.

My packing list for Petey when camping:
*Long, STRONG leash for tie-outs
*Short leash for walks, especially if on a campground with restrictions
*1-2 of his familiar toys
*Food bowl
*Water bowl
*Enough dog food for the duration of the trip + one extra day just in case (I put his food in a large tupperware container to keep it dry)
*If water is not potable, I bring a gallon from home in an empty plastic milk carton
*Doggie towel
*Doggie shampoo (I find it hard to sleep with a stinky wet dog in a tent, lol)
*Pooper scooper and bags (again if on a restricted campground)
*Treats (since he sees us eating around the campfire and wants to join in!)
*Halter harness (I use his harness when on trips for extra security since he's been known to slip his collar if he's suddenly afraid of something unexpected or new and balks) I have a sherpa fleece padded one that he can wear for hours on end with no problem and only remove it at night inside the tent).
*Proof of vaccinations and contact info and picture in case he gets lost
*I have brought his doggie bed in the past, but now I just let him sleep with me instead. Less stuff to carry, lol.
*He has a winter coat, but we've only gone camping in the summer, so I haven't worried about him getting cold. But if that is a concern, perhaps a doggie sweater. I would imagine he would be quite content sharing body heat though. :)

Petey has his own little duffel bag suitcase that I pack for travel. He gets SO excited when he sees that bag come out as he knows exactly what it means! :)

Have fun!!!!! He may be a little nervous the first time, but just keep a close eye on him and test him out with each new experience. I grew up camping with dogs and never had one be unhappy yet. :) They are just thrilled to be with you 24/7. :)

Smiley14
August 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Oh, just remembered one other thing. I also bring some Yard and Deck Bug Defogger spray with me. (Here, I just buy it in a can at Walmart or Target). You just spray it around your campsite and it works great for up to about 6 hours to keep the bugs away from you and doggie. Wait at least 15 minutes after spraying before starting a fire though. :)

Also, I wouldn't recommend bringing the crate. It will only get in the way of the small confines of the tent and be more of an annoyance than anything else. The tent is kind of like a giant crate in and of itself, lol, and he just has company for the night. :)

MyBirdIsEvil
August 3rd, 2006, 10:19 PM
I wanna go camping with Walnut, she LOVES going to the river, she'll swim for hours. We're even trying to find her a doggy lifevest so she won't have to exert as much energy swimming in the current. Whenever she sees us start our truck up she gets excited and tries to jump in the backseat 'cause she thinks we're going swimming, lol.
I dunno if I could sleep in a tent with her though, since whenever me and my b/f let her sleep in bed with us she pushes me off the bed in her sleep :rolleyes: , I dunno how a short and stocky 45 lb dog can take up so much room.
She can push him off the bed too (he weighs about 210 lbs), but I don't think she does it often 'cause he kicks her in his sleep (I know he does me :frustrated: ), so she stays to my side of the bed.
Yeah, her me and my b/f in a tent might = no sleep. (at least for me)
Oh yeah, remember to bring his food and a bowl with you, I always remember everything and forget food half the time in the course of trying to remember everything else.

Smiley14
August 3rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
LOL, very true! Petey is 63 pounds of muscle and LOVES to stretch out. He is a complete bed hog. So yes, be prepared for it to not be your best night of sleep ever. :) Hopefully your tent is big enough though where you can give him his own little space and be prepared to possibly have to shove him back over into that space a few times during the night. :)

And by shove I mean nicely of course. :)

Bushfire2000
August 4th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I have taken Lacey and Buster camping I brought one crate for them to share and a screw in stake to tie them to. Please make sure anyone who takes their dog(s) camping that the tie out they use only allows the dog to roam your camp site and not reach the road or the neighbors space. Lacey was terrorized once by a cocker whose owners gave it too long a rope, the cocker ran out into the roadway after Lacey. And that was not only unsafe for my dog but theirs could have been hit by a car.

Enough of that.
I really liked having the crate along I used it as a bed side table I think my tent was an old fashioned one with actual walls and poles not one of those pop up kind you can get now. The crate, because the dogs usually sleep in one gave them a sense of calm and security.

Smiley14
August 4th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I suppose it depends on the size of the tent, size of the dog, size of the crate, and what the dog is used to! :)
We use a "one room" pop-up tent for rural camping (has to fit in backpack or canoe) and there's absolutely no way to bring along or fit a crate into that environment. But at campgrounds, we use our large "three-room" tent. I still don't use a crate as Petey is a big dog and even in a big tent, would take up way too much room, but I can understand how you would want one if you are using a larger tent or you have smaller dogs or if your dog is more comfortable in a crate. So it all depends on your situation I suppose!

Very good reminder about the tieout leash! I don't trust stakes as Petey can yank them out, and I don't always know what kind of ground to expect (too hard and can't get it in or too soft and off he goes!). I rely on trees instead and always keep his range within my little campsite and within my sight as well. But stakes are great if you know one works for your dog and if you know the ground is right or if there are no handy trees nearby. :)

There are so many ways to go camping with your dog, so no matter what you decide to do, I'm sure it will be the right for you and your doggie! Have fun and let us know how it goes! :)

phoenix
August 4th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I was going to say... a shih tzu's crate might make a bedside table but my dog's crate would be a kitchen table!!!!:crazy:

Puppyluv
August 4th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I've gone dog-camping before, but because I've only camped in the Rockies, I've never done the "drive to your camp site" camping. I've always had to hike at least 15 km to my camp site. That being said, I'm a proponent of the "less is more" camp (no pun intended). I brought some shammies for towels, food, two small dishes, a toy, some treats, contact info and photo, leash, harness, and some natural bug deterrant. That's it, and honestly, it's all you really need.

TMac
August 4th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Other than food and water, THE most important thing we bring camping is a doggie first aid kit. Especially if you decide to go for more than one night. Stuff like Benadryl comes in handy if he gets stung by bugs (this happened to our poor boy - red fire ants stung him and his eyes swelled shut!)...plus the basic things like vet wrap and quick stop. If your dog gets a bit car sick or likes to drink from nasty looking mud puddles, you may want to bring some minute rice - in case his stomach takes a turn!

Otherwise, what everyone else said above is all you need (towels, plastic bags, leash, dishes, etc). The dog life jacket is a good idea if you plan to canoe or boat in the middle of a big lake.

There is a great site called "Traildog" that is all about camping and hiking with your dog: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Traildog/

Have fun!!!
:dog:

jessi76
August 4th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I was going to say... a shih tzu's crate might make a bedside table but my dog's crate would be a kitchen table!!!!:crazy:

LOL... my dog isn't large by any means (50lbs), but he has a crate big enough for a 80-100lb dog (he likes his space). so his crate actually IS my kitchen table. Literally, I placed a piece of plywood ontop, a tall stool on the side, and viola! crate and table in one.

anyways, back to camping... have fun!!! We took Tucker last year when he was around 6mths old, and it was a FABULOUS weekend for all of us.

PetFriendly
August 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I also bring benadryl for the dog (talk to the vet about which dose to use) and a lifejacket. Charley also has his own camping chair as he doesn't like laying in the dirt most of the time.

If you don't want a crate in the tent, bring a dog bed and use that. Charley has the best sucess if his bed is at the end of the tent where our heads are and has direct access to the door (I have a 4 man Eureka tent with dual doors on each side).

PetFriendly
August 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM
The dog life jacket is a good idea if you plan to canoe or boat in the middle of a big lake.

The lifejacket is also good to cxool the dog down in case it over heats. Just soak the lifejacket and put it on the dog wet. Since the evaporation requires heat, it'll draw from the dog and reduce his body temperature. I tried a few brands out and prefer the Outward Hound one, its very sturdy, had a handle on the back and a D ring for the leash.