Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

House Breaking Questions

H.P.
August 3rd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Sydney is 7 weeks old now, I have had her for almost 2 weeks and over all we are doing well. She stays in her crate at night, usually getting up once to go out. During the day while I am at work, she stays in the bathroom (If she has to go she can, and not get in it), I come home at lunch and take her out, sometimes she has peed, sometimes, not. As soon as I get home, we go out, usually no pee in the bathroom. Poo is always done outside. At her age, I think this is doing really good. My problem is in the evenings/ weekends when I am home. We go out roughly every 1 1/2 hours, and if she starts sniffing around, and if she naps, as soon as she gets up. But at least once every evening, with no warning, she squats and pees! I scoop her up as soon as she squats (I keep her in the same room with me) and we go out, where she finishes. Yes, she ends up peeing on me as we go, probably pretty funny to watch.:rolleyes: My questions:
1) how can I get her to tell me when she needs to go and
2) Should I scold her (and if so, how) for going inside?
I have not been scolding, just lots of praise and love when she does her stuff outside. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you the details as to what we are currently doing! Thanks for any suggestions.

Yanagi
August 4th, 2006, 01:27 AM
1) Try putting a bell at the door and put some peanut butter when she's not looking and when you see her "ringing" the bell, say something like "You wanna go outside?" and open the door and let her outside and keep on doing it until she can do it herself. Or you can keep her in her crate for an hour with something to do while she's inside and let her out every hour and put her back in the crate and keep doing it or something.

2) Never scold your dog!!! If you seriously want to scold her, take your pup to the pee and say "NO!!" for a few times... Then clean the mess up.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 4th, 2006, 03:45 AM
We go out roughly every 1 1/2 hours, and if she starts sniffing around, and if she naps, as soon as she gets up. But at least once every evening, with no warning, she squats and pees!

Every 1 1/2 hours is too long for a lot of 7 week old puppies. The MOST I would wait is 45 minutes.
With my first puppy we had to take her out about every half hour at that age, or she would attempt to pee on the floor.

No you shouldn't scold her. She should be on a leash indoors and if she starts to pee distract her (I used to clap my hands but you can also use something like a can of pennies) and grab her leash while saying "OUTSIDE" and either carry her out or lead her out by her leash.
If she pees outside give her lots of praise and maybe a treat.
This is what I did with my dog and she knows what the word outside means. She also knows that me grabbing her leash means to go outside so she'll sometimes pick up her leash if she has to go out.
It also helps to have a crate. That way if you take the dog outside and she doesn't pee you can put her in the crate for 10 minutes then try taking her out again. This way she won't pee on your floor and will learn that when she doesn't pee she just gets put back in her crate.
The bell is also a good idea for her telling you if she has to go, but this may not keep working that well unless you have a crate or something to put her in when she doesn't go, because once she learns that the bell means outside she may start ringing it just to go outside and look around at stuff or play.

p.s :
Keep in mind that 7 weeks is VERY young. Most reputable breeders don't even release their puppies until they're 8 weeks and more likely 12 weeks for a reason. Don't expect too much out of your puppy until she's a bit older, she seems to be doing very well for her age as it is :)

jesse's mommy
August 4th, 2006, 05:03 AM
2) Never scold your dog!!! If you seriously want to scold her, take your pup to the pee and say "NO!!" for a few times... Then clean the mess up.

Not always a good idea since most dogs don't remember they did something wrong. If you see your dog piddle correct her by saying no then immediately take her outside. If you don't see her doing it, then you just need to clean it up and not say anything because she won't be able to associate it with anything. She is still very young so she definitely needs to go out about every 45 minutes or so. Also, since she is so young expect accidents up until she is about four months. Some dogs pick it up fast others have accidents. They just have little bladders that don't develop until they are a little older. Also, do you have any pictures?

H.P.
August 4th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the tips, I like the bell idea, I think that she will like it too. We will also start going more frequently. I do expect accidents at her age, I did get her very young, but it was a situation where she was going to be headed to a very high kill shelter if she didn't get a home fast. I too think that she is doing great at her age. Here is a picture of her, quality of the picture is not great, but quality of the puppy is!

papillonmama
August 4th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Awwww, she's sooo cute!!!

Sorry I don't have any input right now, but good luck.:thumbs up

jessi76
August 4th, 2006, 11:06 AM
she is soooo adorable!

From your first post, it sounds like you've got it all under control! only one accident at night or on weekends is VERY GOOD. it sounds like your housebreaking is going as it should, and as it went for most of us too. I don't think you'll find too many ppl who got a pup so young, and never had accidents. anyways, the point of my post is to just say keep it up! you & lil' sydney are doing great!

H.P.
August 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Thank you! She is doing great for her age I think. I am probably just a nervous mom. I have never had a dog this young, and don't want to mess her up! I want her to be healthy, happy and well behaved.

PetFriendly
August 5th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Not sure what kind of flooring you have, but white vinegar masks the smell of pee rather well and is cheap to buy. I'm not sure I would use it on the carpets, but it worked wonders on laminate flooring and tiles.

Also, if you can introduce some sort of command (BUSINESS) to indicate you want her to go, it might help (at first wait for her to start, give the command, then give a treat when she's done). Also, when you take her out, make sure she does her thing before she gets to play.

Geoff and Kathy
August 11th, 2006, 05:04 AM
If you have carpet, my wife and I have used something called Orange TKO. You get it from Wal-mart and it works wonders! :)

dogmelissa
August 11th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I agree about the bell. You can either rig up a regular jingle bell on a string or ribbon near the door (have her ring this *every time* you go out!), or you can buy an actual dog doorbell, like this: http://www.pet2ring.com/ or this: http://www.gooddeals.com/shopexd.asp_Q_id_E_42

I'd highly recommend something portable, as once you have your doggy trained, then you can take it wherever you go; friend's, relatives, etc and then your dog will still know how to tell you she needs to go out.

I tried many things with my dog (he came to me 11 months old, never house-trained, left to mess his crate all day and then physically abused), and none of them seemed to work. When I hung up the doorbell (I use just a jingle bell on a ribbon, but now the bf has wired it into a regular doorbell because we couldn't hear it downstairs), he'd get really excited when I said "ring the bell". It took him a long time to be housetrained, but now he's so good with it, I even got him to ring it when I had my arms full and the patio door was locked but bf was home. Bf couldn't figure out why he was ringing and ringing and ringing when he'd been out 5 minutes before, but he came up and then saw me! *grin*

I'd highly recommend using the bell, though you also need to take her out more often, as suggested by others. No less than once an hour, I'd say. After eating, drinking, 20 minutes of play, after a nap, before bed... you know all these things. You're doing a great job, and horray for rescuing her!!! Make sure when you catch her piddling in the house, you say very sharply "NO!" and then get her outside as quickly as possible. If she piddles on you all the way there, she may not be getting surprised enough when you catch her. Most dogs will be surprised and "pinch it". Give her a word "piddle" or "hurry up" or whatever you choose for her outside, and use it consistently. Don't forget to say "good piddle" (or other command) and give her treats when she does pee outside.

If it doesn't get better, please ensure that you have her checked for a bladder infection.

Good luck and hope that helps.
Melissa

Angies Man
August 16th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Sticking her nose in the urine and yelling NO! may feel like you're doing something proactive but truth is, it doesn't do much good. Confuses the puppy, "what are you telling me, that peeing is bad?"

If you catch her peeing in the house, pick her up, and take her out to finish--then, in the yard, praise her with "good girl", let her walk around and sniff and maybe poop and then go back in the house and clean up. You really want to stay as calm as possible with your puppy--it will save you from problems in the future.

If she looks like she's looking for a spot to squat, it's "Go Out?!!" and run to the door. Catching her before she pees in the house is the best way to get her to house train.

It sounds to me like your puppy is trying to be good, but as previously mentioned 8 wks is pretty young, the brain isn't well developed and neither is bladder and bowel control. Patience, grasshopper, she'll be trustworthy in an amazingly short time.

If the job is on a hard surface, wash up with detergent, a little vinegar and water. On rugs, get some pet cleanup product (enzymes will destroy the odor of urine), patting out the urine with an absorbent material and carpet shampoo when you can.:)

alanbl
August 19th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Sticking her nose in the urine and yelling NO! may feel like you're doing something proactive but truth is, it doesn't do much good. Confuses the puppy, "what are you telling me, that peeing is bad?"

It's been 13 years since I've had to house train a puppy, but I do remember how effective it was to NOT scold her for accidents. Rather, I kept close tabs on her movements, especially after eating, and when she looked like she was ready to pee/crap I'd try to get to her in time to take her out. If she did have an accident, I would ignore it but concentrate on positive reinforcement. This worked well and she was housetrained pretty quickly.

rainbow
August 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM
H.P., how is Sydney doing? :dog: