Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet asking for donations

chico2
August 3rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
I went to get Advantage at my vets and was stunned to see a poster asking for donations of blankets,towels etc..for their kennelled pets.
Never have I seen that at any vet,I give whatever I have to Humane Society,I would think they need it more:confused:
I would think,with what they charge,they would be able to buy whatever is needed for their kennel..

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah, that's bizarre.:rolleyes: :shrug:

To their credit though, some vets have been making a lot less money since the vaccines have become needed only 2 and 3 years instead of every year.

Maya
August 3rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Hmmm maybe cutting corners for that new cabin in the woods. Sorry I'm bitter, not sure which emoticon to use for that :P

chico2
August 3rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
Well,my vet still insists on every 2 years,my cats still get some vaccines every year,but not rabies..so a yearly visit or more is still necessary.
Since these people took over from my old vet,the waiting-room looks like a store,wall to wall Medi-cal and Hills food,they even sell Kongs($20)and tons of other stuff.
They do one good thing,they have kittens from HS for adoption,out there in the waiting-room.

jiorji
August 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that's bizarre.:rolleyes: :shrug:

To their credit though, some vets have been making a lot less money since the vaccines have become needed only 2 and 3 years instead of every year.

umm wait....did i miss the memo?? I thought all pets are required a vet check up every year. Or is it 2-3 years for doggies?

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 05:45 PM
Check ups are every year, but the consult fee is what, $30-40? Nothing like the $200-$300 we used to spend every year on all the vaccines.

Frenchy
August 3rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
With all the money I've been spending at my vet (I always get charge as soon as I step in) he better not ask ME for any donation!:mad:

CyberKitten
August 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
I guess it depends on the vet and where you live. My vet is involved with many non profit organizations for animals so I know if she is raising money - which does not happen often - it is stated exactly what it is for and where the money will go. She donates her time to the local SPCA when they have to rescue puppy mills and have sick cats - that kind of thing. And she has a place where people can donate to the SPCA. If there were other Rescue groups in her area, I am sure she would help them too but where she works, the SPCA is pretty much it and they do well to eek out an existence!! (and do good work, unlike what I hear on this board about other chapters it seems). It would be nothing for her to take a call at home about a sick cat and if the family could not afford it, to not charge them for it. (She does do some work for the prov dept of agriculture so she is able to afford this but most of the other vets in that position do not then lessen their fees or do pro bono work).

So it's all context. Maybe your vet has some sick animals from a rescue mission?? I would ask if I were you. If the vet is making a profit and charges more than the average, it does not sound like an altruistic benevolance but I don't know. I hope it is but if not, the customers should not be defraying the costs incurred. Vets - like mine - who do donate their time - often are not in the career for the money but if s/he charges high fees, that makes no sense. My vet also has a husband with a good salary and will admit she would never survive alone on what she earns at her clinic. Well, she prob would but would not have as good a lifestyle, lol

Hope this is not too long winded, <g>

jawert1
August 3rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Actually chico, odd coincidence, but when I picked up Peaches and Simon from the boarding kennel (which is also attached to their vet's office), I saw a similar notice asking for blanket donations. I too thought it was really strange, given they tend to run a bit pricey (though the care there is outstanding). Perhaps there's a drive going on that's not being well marked or something, but your post caught me very off guard.

chico2
August 4th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I get a little critical of the "new"(last 4 yrs)vets.
What used to be a one-vet office,with familiar staff,is now an office where I see a different vet every time I go(3 cats,3 times/year) and what seems to be a forever turnover of office-staff:(
It does not inspire confidence,when after so many years they don't even remember who we are.
My old vet,knew my cats,knew me,it was a familiarity I was very comfortable with and trusted.
When Baby-Vinnie was found and I was looking for a home for him,I remember them cheering when I kept him with me....also the times when they cried with me,when my other 3 cats where old and sick,but those days are gone and I suppose it's called progress.:confused:
Prices have more or less doubled,Vinnie had his teeth cleaned this year at $300+,Chico last year $200+:eek:
I realize,new equipment costs a lot of money and I expect to pay a bit more every year,it's not the money,it's just a feeling of distrust I have and I will be looking for another vet,a little less like a walk-in clinic.
I don't know what charity work they do,but I will ask..my old vet(not old,only in her 30's),did HS work,helped close down Pet-shops selling pups and kittens,was proactive in animal-wellfare,but maybe that's why she moved back to Scotland,she did too much for free:sad:

dtbmnec
August 4th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Wow for the kitties to see the vet at all its like sixty dollars (and that's just one). I wonder if its cheaper for a "yearly" but I don't know yet (haven't had them a year! lol)

I haven't seen anything about donations (not that I have anything to donate) and I'm not sure about whether my vet does any charity work. I had asked them if we could do any pay plans for stuff (usually because I have some sort of money coming in on a bi-weekly basis but not say 3 grand at one time kinda thing) but they wouldn't do it. *shrugs* I like the vet herself though, she absolutely loves my animals (I'm sure she loves the others too) and does really seem like an "old school" type (I believe she said she'd been doing it for 30 years now or something). She's sort of the type of person I would see most vets as being (though of course there are others as you guys have said).

Megan

cpietra16
August 4th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I know for a fact that when we lived with our 5 cats and 2 dogs, we visited the vet almost every other month for one reason or another. He once told us that we sent him on a carribean cruise one year with all the medical needs we had...I'm in the wrong prof:frustrated: ession

Golden Girls
August 4th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I agree most vets prices are ridiculous but weren't they just asking if anyone had any extra blankets and towels etc it would be greatly appreciated :confused: I doubt it meant animals would go without if the public can't help. Personally I'd have found it bizarre had they put that poster up say at a homeless children's shelter but a vet office, surely some will be glad to get rid of their old stock before just trashing it. And if your there - your obviously a caring pet owner so why not :)

chico2
August 5th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Golden Girls,of course there is nothing wrong asking for donations,were it for some poor animals needing treatment,but could not recieve it because their is no owner or the owner is poor.
As for giving blankets,towels,kitty-beds etc..I give to HS regularly,the dogs and cats there are more in need,than the animals kenneled at the vet.
The expenses at the vet,is something we all have to consider before getting a pet,as you well know and although I grumble,it's money well spent on those little guys i love.

Golden Girls
August 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM
I'm sure the HS is in need and appreciates your donations. I know some vets here help with rescues by reducing a little of the cost of S/N and/or some will allow dogs to shelter overnight in emergency situations where otherwise they might be euthanized. The same vets can also rent out space as a kennel so it's not to say because their a business their not in need. I also have to believe most vets although charge through the roof, have a love for animals and more had their share of pro bono work along the way.