Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray Cat and Potty

Mrs Bungle
August 3rd, 2006, 11:32 AM
Hey everyone

So a little while ago about 4 months ago, we realized we had a stray cat in my parents backyard that was ALWAYS around.. We took him to the vet he was extremely skinny long haired cat that was fully matted on his whole body. We kept him inside a room in my parents house with a litter and he was fine with it (he had obviously been someones pet before) and wa always going in the litter.

Now we just recently (through time and patience because nobody would do it for us of the vets here) were able to shave off all of the mattes on his body, and give him a bath. So the next step was to take him home, to our house and try to fattten him up. We did just that two weeks ago and he was fine for the first week, but now there is a problem.

We keep him in a specific room in our home when we arent home just because we dont know what he might do unsupervised and we have our own dog as well. We put some plastic down on the floor of that room so that if he were to have an accident or something, that it wouldnt ruin the carpet.

So now, this week , he has started peeing and pooing outside his litter box. And i cant figure out WHY! I clean out all of the waste on a daily basis - usually in the morning or at night. So it cant that its too full. And he DOES go in the litter, just decides once in a while that he doesnt feel like doing it in the litter.

Does anyone else know why he would be doing this ???

surveychick
August 3rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
cats have a thing with plastic---i don't have the knowledge to explain it---but mine pee on plastic whenever the opportunity arrises. I asked the vet about it and he said it was common. Try removing the plastic from the room. If it isn't the plastic he is peeing on then maybe get a urine sample from him. In our case Quincey had developed a UTI and needed treatment---BUT the plastic thing has never stopped.
nic

jawert1
August 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM
I was about to suggest a trip back to the vets to make sure he's not got a UTI and is in enough pain to keep him from using the proper receptacle. I'm inclined to also agree with surveychick, I had a cat that hated (cannot describe how much) plastic ANYTHING and would do whatever it took to rid her space of it. Good luck and keep us posted :)

Mrs Bungle
August 3rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
But would an infection cause him to poop on it too?

Hes doing both equally *LOL*