Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possibly moving Down Under

Mrs. McArthur
August 3rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
Hi all,

My husband was informed that his name was put in for a job transfer to Australia. I was excited to hear this as I have been teasing since he got the job to get a transfer to there. The problem is we have a 1.3year old small cat and our recently aquired great dane/ rottie mix. Diesel (the dog) has recently been very ill with a fungal infection in his nose. not a cheap thing to cure. But he is an adopded dog and we researched the he would be in quaritine for a min of 30 days. My concern is would he survive the flight in cargo and would he feel like we abondon him once he is in quarintine? Also, Swiffer,my cat, does not like to be in a cage. He scratches the the door and won't stop until you let him out.

Has anyone had to this before? and how can I make this possible transition for my pets easier??

I love my furbabies and there is no way that they will be left behind. No one is going up for adoption and I couldn't leave them behind with a friend or relative.

mastifflover
August 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
They can fly and do your research. See how the dogs are handled at layovers and such are they left on the plane in hot temps while you have a stopover. Are they checked on during the flight. You will need to buy crates that conform to the regulations of the airlines. Also if you speak to some rescues they maybe able to give you some info about shipping pets by plane.

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
I hope you find a way. We got Jemma because her owner was moving to Australia and wouldn't take her on that long a plane ride.

jiorji
August 3rd, 2006, 01:33 PM
He scratches the the door and won't stop until you let him out.

well you can give him pills to calm down and he'll sleep all the way to Australia.

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM
I don't think you're supposed to drug them on the plane but I don't remember why.:o

Mrs. McArthur
August 3rd, 2006, 01:56 PM
We are trying to do all the research we can at this point. I posted here because everyone seems so knowlegdgable about animals and hteir treatment.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Mrs. McArthur
August 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
We are trying to do all the research we can at this point. I posted here because everyone seems so knowledgable about animals and their treatment.

Thank you for your suggestions.

mastifflover
August 3rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Check with your vet about sedation I think you can give them something. Or if not prior to your journey you could start them on rescue remedy to lessen the stress

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 03:38 PM
ooo if you're rich enough, maybe this company can help:
http://www.companionair.com/
not sure if they're only US though.

jiorji
August 3rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
"We have special treats and toys on board for pets and owners alike. " -Companion Air

Yes! the humans finally get some treats too :D stupid airplane peanuts

Puppyluv
August 3rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Deffinately do not sedate your pets unless you absolutely have to. They lose their ability to regulate their temperatures etc under sedation, and are much more likely to die. A little gravol (after vet approval) or RR, ok. Anything else, not ok.

rainbow
August 3rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I've heard that too. I would just go with the Rescue Remedy. :dog: :cat:

badger
August 3rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
If you're in Eastern Canada, that's a loong time in cargo. Maybe you could arrange to stop somewhere en route for a couple of days. Of course, it would have to be somewhere where you were allowed to take your dogs out of the airport (US?).

Puppyluv
August 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
If it does happen, try and fly through LA, not Hawaii, becuase some airlines won't allow pets through hawaii. Just something to think about in advance.