Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

travelling in a u haul or trailer

scuba0095
August 3rd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Hello

Have any of you traveled long distance in a u haul or trailer with your cats? As son as everything ewas packed up nicely and inthe trailer did you let the cats lose? As long as somemone is back there with them of course

jawert1
August 3rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
I know in the states it's illegal to travel in the back of a UHaul van/truck/trailer, not to mention with pets loose, so I wouldn't even try it. Why not purchase a set of harnesses and leads and just let them out on those at rest stops (particularly if it's a long trip)? Less dangerous (especially in this heat) I would think.

OntarioGreys
August 3rd, 2006, 02:42 PM
It is illegal in Canada to be in the trailer as well, trailers are not sealed like cars to protect from carbon monoxide, plus there is no insulation, so even cool and sunny the inside of the trailer it going to get extremely hot and can be deadly cats should be in a crate in the vehicle.

glasslass
August 3rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
I've driven past too many jack-knifed trailers. There's a reason why riding in them is illegal. My dogs always sleep in the car while traveling. If you have several, I would think being safe and snug in a carrier would be best. No chance of escaping when doors are opened. They'll be happier being with you too, instead of "on their own" inside a trailer where it's bound to be rather scary.

rainbow
August 3rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
We moved long distance (2 day trip) with a large U-Haul truck. The cat was in the front cab with us and mostly slept while we were driving. Her litter box was on the floor by my feet. :D