Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

taking cats on planes?

scuba0095
August 2nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Hello

Have any of you taken ur cat on a plane like when your moving or going for an extremly long vacation etc..

IF so how much did it cost you?

What about for big dogs (90 lbs) anyone take those on a plane? HAte to have them put in cargo

jiorji
August 2nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
well from what I know, unless the cage can fit under your seat, it goes in the cargo. So there's no way around it. They won't let you take a 90lb dog on board for many reasons.

Puppyluv
August 2nd, 2006, 06:27 PM
I've flown my dog in cargo a couple of times, and I was quite satisfied with the service. It cost $150 each way, but I would do it again for sure.
HOWEVER, with many airlines there is a weight maximum of 70 lbs combined weight (dog+crate) but some will let you have a heavier dog for a fee. As of September 18th no pets will be allowed in the cabin of Air Canada planes.

scuba0095
August 2nd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Yikes 70lbs dog plus crate is nothign! the crate probably weights like 40 pounds!

Just curious has anyone taken their cat on the plan with you under the stea? Aparently theirs special soft sidded carriers that let you do this comfortably?

puppy how much does ur dog weigh

Puppyluv
August 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Layla weighs 37 lbs, with her crate she weighs about 45 lbs.
Cyberkitten has flown with her kitties under the seat.

CyberKitten
August 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
I have flown to Florida with my Siamese cat a few times. This was with Delta since Air Canada is no longer allowing pets in the cabin. The cost was $50 each way - a good price actually. You will need to talk to the Reservations people well in advance of your trip and prepare your cat by making certain s.he is comfortable with travel in his or her carrier (You do NOT want to discover s/he hates it on board!) and you must ensure kitty stays under the seat for the entire trip!!

I would never allow a pet to fly cargo tho I know some like Puppyluv have had good experiences with that. I am afraid of my pet becoming a statistic - like the poor dog who the airline managed to loose at the Hfx airport and he was run over on the runway. (There are worse horror stories but I won't belabour the. I know ppl who show their cats and travel with them in cargo and seem to do just fine.) I simply am a "fraidy cat" I guess, lol (I'd be a wreck worrying about my cat in cargo and so the trip would be hopeless!) .

And never give a cat that is travelling any sedation - that can cause a variety of problems. (Rescue remedy or cocculine -which are natural supplements) seem to cause no ill effects however.

Here is Delta's page for more info:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_travel_options/index.jsp#carryon

Other airlines have different policies (Uusllay only one pet per cabin is allowed).

My personal experience was fine but my cat likes to be near me and is a good traveller - cats typically are not keen travellers.

Good luck!

scuba0095
August 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
You may not carry on more than one pet.

what if we had 3 cats to travel with? I guess if we were traveling with friends or family member we would give each ot them a cat that way we could carry on more then one pet LOL

Puppyluv
August 3rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
You may not carry on more than one pet.

what if we had 3 cats to travel with? I guess if we were traveling with friends or family member we would give each ot them a cat that way we could carry on more then one pet LOL

Some airlines only allow 1-2 pets on board the entire plane, so you'll have to take seperate flights too.

scuba0095
August 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
has anyone here taken multiple cats (over 2) on a plane? if so how did you manage it?