Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how do you abuse the system??

jiorji
August 2nd, 2006, 10:11 AM
There's many things that we take for granted and many things that we indulge in to no limits and we are thakful for.

My system abuse is Chapters. Yes the book store. I recently discovered their online website, and that I can order books to no limit and then return them :o And many of the books I want to look at they don't have in the stores in Montreal, so i have to order them.
(but you should see me reading books... I get paranoid about ruining the books so they don't leave my house and i only hold them a certain way, so that when I'm done they look like they've never been opened )
oh but don't look at me that way!:eek: I didn't come up with this idea. My friend started "borrowing" books from them way before I started to :p So as usual I blame my behaviour on her.

and there's just so many books with so much information and you can't always spend your time at the book store to read there, and books are too expensive to buy all the time, although I keep collecting travel journal books hehe.

so that's what I take advantage of. Thank you Chapters for your return policy :pawprint: I also like Amazon. They have many rare books that Chapters doesn't.

so what's your "system abuse" or indulgence?

Puppyluv
August 2nd, 2006, 10:32 AM
:eek: JIORGI!!!! Haven't you heard of a library?!?!?:eek: :evil:

I can't really think of any system abuse that I do... I deffinately return those "free trial issue" for every magazine out there, and have yet to order a subscription to a single one.. oh that reminds me of one. In my first year of university, I was living in rez, and I would get free trial issues of magazines I liked under various people's names (I'd ask them) and I had a full year subscription for free of like 6 magazines by getting trial issues each month.

Oh, and sometimes I read my neighbours newspaper reaaaallly early in the morning, reaaaallly carefully, and then fold it back up and put it back on their doorstep (always return it before 6:30 am). The only problem is, I always want to do the crosswords, so I scan them.

I guess the fact that I take endless numbers of drinks from where I work, and if I get hungry just "mark out" something to eat (but everyone does it!! Even the manager!)

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
Hmm.. I've abused chapters too. For my dad's wedding we bought a $150 Martha Stewart cook book. It was the last one they had, so we told them to be sure to write on the receipt that it was pretty damaged... We baked the wedding cake and brought the book back.:o But that was 6 years ago...

On a regular day, I think all I abuse is the speed limit and student rates...

jiorji
August 2nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
:eek: JIORGI!!!! Haven't you heard of a library?!?!?:eek: :evil:

...............a LIBRARY?!?!

come on Puppy, you KNOW Chapters is cooler than a library :cool: they have starbucks!
although you don't get coffee when you order books offline.

Puppyluv
August 2nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Ok, you won me over with the starbucks argument ;)
Did you know that if you want to join the Westmount Library, but don't live in westmount (GASP!! How do we survive?!?!?) It costs 119$!!! FOR A LIBRARY!!!!

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 06:27 PM
Yeah, westmount... Don't go trick or treating in westmount unless you're rich either.:sad:

Puppyluv
August 2nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, westmount... Don't go trick or treating in westmount unless you're rich either.:sad:
But Prin, how do they know??? By your costume quality?? What happens? I work exclusively in Westmount, so I see the best and the worst of it there.

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 06:31 PM
There's a park that divides Westmount from the "poorer" neighborhoods and on Hallowe'en night, they used to lock the gate on the Westmount side so the kids from the other side of the park couldn't get through.:sad: I think they stopped recently though (I hope).

Puppyluv
August 2nd, 2006, 06:36 PM
OMG that's horrible!! I find it really sad how money affects some (not all) people. You wouldn't believe some of the attitudes I deal with.

jiorji
August 2nd, 2006, 08:15 PM
There's a park that divides Westmount from the "poorer" neighborhoods and on Hallowe'en night, they used to lock the gate on the Westmount side so the kids from the other side of the park couldn't get through.:sad: I think they stopped recently though (I hope).

wow! that's cheap!

I heard a lot of stories about Westmount but not like that!:eek: I thought that when it came to kids that kind of stuff didn't matter.

are the people living up in the houses on Mont Royal the same? They look pretty rich too

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 08:17 PM
The ones on Mount Royal are not "nouveau riche".

Frenchy
August 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Oh yes,I did hear about the "Westmount gate".

Puppyluv
August 2nd, 2006, 08:20 PM
The ones on Mount Royal are not "nouveau riche".

But not all of westmount is either. These days, when people think of Westmount, they think of closer to Sherbrooke, but as you go higher up the mountain, you get to the "old money" and the attitudes are a lot different than those down below.

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant.:o People who don't have to show their money off.

Puppyluv
August 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
Ahhh, K, I was thinking of "Mont Royal" itself when you said that. But yeah.... I pretty much deal exclusively with those who need us to know what's in their wallets....

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 08:33 PM
Mount Royal itself as in the town or the mountain? :D Town = nouveau riche. Mountain = old money.;)

CyberKitten
August 2nd, 2006, 08:39 PM
I download books for free. :D (In much the same way one dlwonloads music) I like books way too much to order them online and then return them. (I hate to be a spoilsport but that sounds like cheating :D ). I have to admit I was somewhat shocked when I 1st read it but thought oh well, if someone cannot afford books, it is a way to read them. Still, there are libraries you know tho I do realize that popular books have long waiting lists. Our univ libraries tend to not have popular fiction, (tho they do have Frank magazine - Maritime ver, lol).

The only thing I thought of doing once was to scan a library book and this create it as a MSLit version. But that was too time consuming and I could not bring myself to ask my office manager to do it - she knows we have more important things to do and would likely have told me what to do with the book, lol I think I may have been a librarian in a previous life and cringe when i see anyone turning the corners of a page,marking a book in any way, bending a book.

I have this tendancy to know what books I have (and I own thousands) and where they came from, etc, etc - and even when people steal magazines from my waiting room, it irks me. I can't say it upsets me if it happens to be a teenager - I want them to read, lol - but if they want the magazine, all they need to do is ask. There is no need to just take it. Gawd, what an example for their kids!

jiorji
August 2nd, 2006, 08:49 PM
Mount Royal itself as in the town or the mountain? :D Town = nouveau riche. Mountain = old money.;)

the mountain. Those houses that you see when you walk up behind the Oratoire. That could be Westmount for all i know I'm not sure

CyberKitten...I'm sorry if my cheapness shocks you :eek: :p lol
But when I live in Westmount one day (ha ha) I'll buy the books and not return them :queen:

Rick C
August 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
Well, I'll sheepishly admit Mrs. C and I spend about $50-$100 a week at Chapters . . . . no returns.

However, amusingly, as I'm sitting here, I'm re-reading a Star Trek short story book I bought in 1976 while an old copy of W.O. Mitchell's "Who Has Seen The Wind" is also open beside me, a swell book to read during a sweltering prairie summer with the wind blowing the tall grass around. Before the summer is over I'll pull out my old, tattered "The Boys Of Summer" by Roger Kahn which I bought in the late 70's . . . . another fine summer read and best appreciated in your 40's. We have a fairly eclectic library.

As to the topic at hand, "how do I abuse the system," well, I post on internet message boards during the day from my computer at work. :sorry:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

CyberKitten
August 2nd, 2006, 09:47 PM
HaHa Rick - I had not thought of posting @ work as abuse since it is usually during time out or during a break, lol I know there is some debate about that but I know that if the employees whose salaries I pay for opt to use some of their time during work hrs to send private emails or post on web sites, who am I to question that as long as their work is done well - and it is!! Before the internet, did we not occasioally make personal phone calls or take time for appts? I know this is more inciduous because it is literally at our desks but abuse - I don't think so, lol

I just spent $165 plus at Chapters this weekend. (and I even read a few articles for "free" at Starbucks, lol) I have a discount card tho - and get an educator discount (20%) even if I only teach Residents, lol (It is still deemed education, :) I also love browsing thru second had bookstores. For the longest time, I have wanted to read the sequel to Nicholas and Alexandra (and no, I have never seen the movie - it would ruin the book somehow) and I found it at one of my fav 2nd hand stores - along with a few other books about that period in Russian history. Curiously, there have been two mystery novels - one by Steve Berry and another by Perri O'Shaunnasey that weave a plot around what might have happened to the young son of this enduring family. Also interesting!! (But I preferred the non fiction - and Massie's first book is still the best one.)

Now - if an author could manage to put The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail togeher with some of the conspiracy theores about what really happened that fateful night of the Romanov's execution - that could prove to be an intriging novel. <g>

jiorji
August 2nd, 2006, 10:57 PM
i wish i could spend that much on chapters. The books I get are usually the discounted ones. I collected a few art books that way. Art books are crazy expensive!

i was once at chapters during that whole dvinci Code craze and they had section with books like the davinci code and I flipped through this one book ..the jesus files...something like that. I regret not taking it as now I can't remember the exact name and i looked it up online and i think I'm really off with the title as there's no search results for it. Would've been interesting to read it :(

CyberKitten
August 3rd, 2006, 03:07 AM
I know the one you mean but can't think of the title either (some help I am, lol) But I did see the book - and it may well have been The Jesus Files, The Jesus something, lol I just read the Holy Blood and Holy Grail (wish I'd read it pre Da Vinci Code but I had read pr learned of many of the concepts in the DCode before so was not all that surprised with the notion. Actually, I was more surprised that people were surprised, lol

I dled the Da Vinci Code (with peer to peer software) as I did all of the Dan Brown books so I do not own any of the hard copies - tho I did buy one for my mom. (the regular paperback version - I dislike these new sized paperbacks, forget what they are calling them, personally I think it is just another way to make money for the industry, like the record companies, hardly for the author or artist!!). I read books on my PDA or Blackberry and find that works for me - remember when we used to read with the fashight under the covers - now we do not require the flashlight, lol! I spend so much money on books tho that they are not losing money on me, lol

Sometimes, I wish I could dl medical books - the specialized ones I need are so expsensive!! And even tho I do get many samples from agents of publishers, it is usually the ones I want that they don't have, lol Even the medical software marketed to docs for PDA's etc is too expensive imho!! If I can get around the system there - like say configuring trial software so that it is fully functional, I'd be happy, lol It's all "such a racket" as my dad would say! I have noted a trend in the dling of books online tho. Initally, it was science fiction - the genre preferred by discriminating computer ppl everywhere (<g>)- that were in the majority but as time goes on, more and more of other genres are available. Mystery and adventure and big hits. Medical texts - especially peds and oncology - are not!! (no surprise there, lol).

I wonder if I can dl a book and say "oops, I seem to have the wrong one - can I have my money back?", lol Or buy a hard copy and photocopy it - quickly, lol

Puppyluv
August 3rd, 2006, 03:12 AM

I was thinking the town, but was referring to the mountain... if that makes sense :p

poodletalk
August 3rd, 2006, 06:04 AM
Hmmm....I work in Westmount and I use to live in TMR..one of the reasons why I left TMR (Town of Mount Royal) is the Chapters closed down in RockLand Shopping Center!!!!!!:yell:

Now I know WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs up

(Even though I lived in TMR, trust me I am NOT Noveau Rich!)

Puppy, Do you work at the coffeeshop on Sherbrooke St West?

Puppyluv
August 3rd, 2006, 06:11 AM
I work at one of the many yup... more specifically, one of the ones on Sherbrooke and CLairemont.... but that still leaves two.. even more specifically, the one that has a "Siren" as its logo :p

poodletalk
August 3rd, 2006, 10:10 AM
You work right around the corner from me, I should stop by that coffee shop one day!!!
I like to go to the place on corner of Sherbrooke with the word "Fro...."cheese on my lunch hour. They make
the best sandwiches.

Dogastrophe
August 3rd, 2006, 10:43 AM
There's many things that we take for granted and many things that we indulge in to no limits and we are thakful for.

My system abuse is Chapters. Yes the book store. I recently discovered their online website, and that I can order books to no limit and then return them :o And many of the books I want to look at they don't have in the stores in Montreal, so i have to order them.
(but you should see me reading books... I get paranoid about ruining the books so they don't leave my house and i only hold them a certain way, so that when I'm done they look like they've never been opened )
oh but don't look at me that way!:eek: I didn't come up with this idea. My friend started "borrowing" books from them way before I started to :p So as usual I blame my behaviour on her.

Ha ha, this is great. When I lived in Fredericton Chapters opened a location in the mall. This was back in the day that Chapters had nice chairs and sofas scattered throughout the store (before they took the space for candles, cards, and other non-book junk). I used to find a book, start to read it for an hour or so, put a bookmark in it and hide the book in the children's section. Next time in, I would pull it from its new location, continue to read, and repeat as necessary. Like you, I am a bit neurotic about how I read books so after several readings the book still would look new (as an aside, on the occassions where I decided to buy the book, I would take the one I was reading back to the shelf and pick one out of the back of the pile ... just couldn't bring myself to buying an already read book, even if it was only me reading it) :crazy:

Puppyluv
August 3rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
You work right around the corner from me, I should stop by that coffee shop one day!!!
I like to go to the place on corner of Sherbrooke with the word "Fro...."cheese on my lunch hour. They make
the best sandwiches.
MMMMMMM those sandwiches are sooooooooo good!!!! And A certain clothing store has a really good soup and sald bar. Who knew, good food in a clothing store!

poodletalk
August 3rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
certain clothing store has a really good soup and sald bar
Is it on Sherbrooke? I never saw it!

I also love the place across from the sandwich place, it's an Italian shop, they make the BEST vegetarian sandwiches and pizza! Maybe I should go there today!!!

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Hmmm....I work in Westmount and I use to live in TMR..one of the reasons why I left TMR (Town of Mount Royal) is the Chapters closed down in RockLand Shopping Center!!!!!!:yell: You lived in TMR? Too bad you moved. A new store just opened in TMR shopping center: http://www.poocheycouture.com/

poodletalk
August 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM
There was a store like that in WestMount called PoochyMama.The owner closed up shop and moved to Hawaii to open up a restaurant.

Yup, I lived in TMR, I loved it! I live closer to the SouthShore now, but still in Montreal.

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM
Well, I lived in Ahuntsic, so we were practically neighbors! Only I would have been too low class for you to hang out with.:D

jiorji
August 3rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
Like you, I am a bit neurotic about how I read books so after several readings the book still would look new (as an aside, on the occassions where I decided to buy the book, I would take the one I was reading back to the shelf and pick one out of the back of the pile ... just couldn't bring myself to buying an already read book, even if it was only me reading it) :crazy:

haha
who'd want a USED book? Isn't that waht libraries are for??:rolleyes:

I've never had a problem with damaged books, but the shiny books are more likely to get scruffs on them because of that shiny cover, but most of the time it's not noticeable.

jiorji
August 3rd, 2006, 01:28 PM
I work at one of the many yup... more specifically, one of the ones on Sherbrooke and CLairemont.... but that still leaves two.. even more specifically, the one that has a "Siren" as its logo :p

oh i knew it! right when I sold you chapters for the coffee shop.:evil:

so since you work at those prestigeous coffee shops does that mean that Tim's coffee is to low for you? hehe

My friend used to work at Second Cup in Ontario and she's go on and on about the proper mixing of smoothies and how inferior tim's coffee became for her :rolleyes:

poodletalk
August 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
You lived in TMR?

You sounded abit surprise Prin, that I use to live in TMR.

I would have hung out with you Prin, everyone at the Orange Julip is equal! (I love that place, I haven't gone there this year.) It doesn't matter if you are from TMR or Ahuntsic.:o

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Nah, not surprised, just a lead in to posting that store.:D
(I've wanted to post it because it's funny but it never came up)

glasslass
August 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
Wow!:eek: $160 for a Sawarvski (sp?) Crystal collar and $180 for the leash!! I didn't order them! I'm a bad mommy! Den-Den and Corky are deprived furkids!:(

For my abuse of the system? I work in a library and I give myself an extended checkout period and unlimited renewals. To be honest though, if someone wanted an item enough to request a hold on it when it returns, I'd bring it back and follow up to check it out again when again available.

Puppyluv
August 3rd, 2006, 05:03 PM
Is it on Sherbrooke? I never saw it!

I also love the place across from the sandwich place, it's an Italian shop, they make the BEST vegetarian sandwiches and pizza! Maybe I should go there today!!!
MMMMMM the Italian place!! They have amazing tortelini too!
Yeah, the store is Mimi and Coco (GASP!! I used a full name!) They have food in the back. It's really good, but I felt weird going in the first time.

poodletalk
August 3rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Mimi and Coco

I don't think I ever saw that store on Sherbrooke.
Everything they cook and make at that Italian shop is amazing! :D

CyberKitten
August 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
I buy used books if they are in good shape because there are some books I just want to own!! And sadly, some books are out of print. I love everything about books - their smell, how they feel, and I even like digital books, lol I won't purchase a book that looks awful but most people who donate to used stores (the good stores anyway) tend to have books in great condition - and book lovers will manage to keep them in good shape. I still have all my Nacy Drew books, have two First Edition ones but I am told they are not worth that much, lol I once had a biology prof offer to purchase a book I was reading (it was hard to find) and I refused - she offered me mega money which I could have used a student but I do not depart from my books, lol (I wonder what I would have done if she were my prof, lol - moral question of the day - I am certain I would have still not sold it, lol).

You can find absolute treasures in so called used book stores. (Or on eBay for that matter.) Little known or esoteric books for example. Due to travelling so much, I have occasionally lost a book - a major issue for me, lol - and then I take yrs to find it again, if it a limited edition.

I'd love to run a used or rare book store when I retire tho somehow I doubt that's ever going to happen (retirement). One of my mentors is 80 years old and still doing well tho he does not operate any longer (thank goodness, lol).
Hurry up and finish your degree Puppyluv, we need more doctors!!!! :)

jiorji
August 3rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
yeah if the book has the information i need or has a really good storyline i Do end up keeping it, but if it's not uselfull enough then I would rather not keep it just to fill out space.

I too LOVE how old books smell Chico. I have a few of my grandfather's books that he owned and they smell so nice :) plus they remind me of my grandfather so I don't know if it's the smell or the memory that makes me like old books....oh well...good either way:thumbs up

Puppyluv
August 4th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Poodletalk- It's on the North side of Sherbrooke O, about 4 doors down from where I work. It's on the second floor, and currently has a tiny brown knit shirt and a larger thin shirt in the window

http://sweetspot.ca/montreal/archives/eat_drink/001471.php

Puppyluv
August 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM
oh i knew it! right when I sold you chapters for the coffee shop.:evil:

so since you work at those prestigeous coffee shops does that mean that Tim's coffee is to low for you? hehe

My friend used to work at Second Cup in Ontario and she's go on and on about the proper mixing of smoothies and how inferior tim's coffee became for her :rolleyes:

To be honest, I never liked Tim's coffee, and have yet to see why people do, but to each their own. But not to worry, I haven't been drinking too much of the Green water, I don't think everything at the Bucks is good, in fact some of it is crap, but I do know what's not on the menu boards that you can still get, and is waaaaay better than some of the more popular choices. EX. IMO drip coffee is only ok, it comes no where near a french press, and if you have lazy employees, they won't change the pot as often as their supposed to. You are also limited to the choice of a mild, a bold and a decaf. But you can go into any bucks and order a french press of any roast you want. Yes, you'll have to wait almost 10 minutes, but it's worth it. You get the coffee you want, it's ground right before your eyes, and it's brewed right in front of you. Not many people know you can get that there because it isn't listed anywhere.

jiorji
August 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM
well I don't go there a lot but when I do I usually ask the girl at the counter what she recomends, and most of the time i don't see it on the board :confused:

CyberKitten
August 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I am not crazy about Tim's coffee either tho I do like their cappuccino - French vanilla. (and we have 2 Tim's at the hospital) Then again, I find Starbucks coffee to strong and too expensive. (There was a cute article by someone who grew up on instant coffee (shudder) who now is a barista at Starbucks in Hfx (we only have 5 and she says only one is a real one, the others are franchises, lol). I love biscotti tho!!

I was a strategic planning session (ugh!) not long ago and the hotel catering it had really bad coffee and another particpant (from aother hospital to make things even) said "this coffee is almost as bad as Starbucks", lol I was glad not to be alone in my thoughts. There was actually wuite a murmur of agreement. Granted, my friends in BC have Starbucks on every corner and love the stuff.

You know, I think considering that Tim's is owned by a US company - who has it on the market - or did they just sell it (can't recall, lol) - they have done a great mareting jpb of equating it with being Canadian.

Stacer
August 4th, 2006, 09:52 PM
i was once at chapters during that whole dvinci Code craze and they had section with books like the davinci code and I flipped through this one book ..the jesus files...something like that. I regret not taking it as now I can't remember the exact name and i looked it up online and i think I'm really off with the title as there's no search results for it. Would've been interesting to read it :(

It's called The Jesus Papers by Michael Baigent. I bought it a couple months ago but haven't got around to reading it. My boss has, and he says it's awesome.

As for system abuse I can't think of a single thing that I abuse. i'm so straight laced:cool: ;)

And I too buy way too much when I visit Chapters, there's one a couple blocks from me (quite possibly the nicest chapters I've seen, it's an old theatre that they've converted but kept it looking like a theatre inside with the stage and curtains, some seats, the balcony), I can't pass it without going in, I just like to walk around sometimes.

CyberKitten
August 4th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Oh, Michael Baigent is one of the authors of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail - must look for that book now. The former was intriguing as well - more thought provoking than some of the ancient texts one reads in theology from time to time. <g> Including the Gnostic gospels.

Puppyluv
August 5th, 2006, 12:18 AM
(There was a cute article by someone who grew up on instant coffee (shudder) who now is a barista at Starbucks in Hfx (we only have 5 and she says only one is a real one, the others are franchises, lol).

Starbucks doesn't franchise, they only license :p

jiorji
August 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM
It's called The Jesus Papers by Michael Baigent. .

yes!! that's the one!thanks

CyberKitten
August 5th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Oh Ok Puppyluv, lol, then we have 4 licensees and i real one, lol (The licensed ones are at Chapters of course, the Student Union bldg at a univ and an express one at the airport). She wrote an article and called them franchises - Sare I write a letter to the editor, lol (Or maybe I'd better read the article more carefully; she may have said license and I got it wrong.) Starbucks has its own culture, that's fersure, lol

jiorji
August 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Starbucks is actually owned by Dr. Evil.

heheh Austin Powers joke