Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anybody know the warning signs for a tornado?

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 08:45 PM
Montreal never gets tornadoes, but on Environment Canada's website it says this (along with the regular thunderstorm warning):
Attention...Some of these thunderstorms are particularly intense and
one of them could produce a tornado.
http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?qc67
How scary is that?

How can we tell if one is coming? I don't really have a basement here, so where the hey should I go?:o :eek:

jesse's mommy
August 1st, 2006, 08:54 PM
The sky will turn this weird green color, the clouds will start funnelling, and the best place to be is somewhere like a closet that attaches to the bearing wall in the house or under stairs. Hopefully that helps. We get warnings all the time and I was scared at first, but now it's like alright there's another.

LavenderRott
August 1st, 2006, 08:59 PM
Montreal never gets tornadoes, but on Environment Canada's website it says this (along with the regular thunderstorm warning):

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?qc67
How scary is that?

How can we tell if one is coming? I don't really have a basement here, so where the hey should I go?:o :eek:

Silly - you won't see them if you are on your computer! :D

catsnatcher-CDN
August 1st, 2006, 09:05 PM
I saw that warning too. Couldn't happen here...could it?

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 09:10 PM
Well two or so years back they had a tornado in Lachute... And last year and maybe 6 years ago, they had one near Mt Tremblant... They're definitely coming eventually.

When I called for insurance for our house, which is four houses from the river that floods every spring, I asked them "Are we covered for tornadoes?" and they said "yes, but not floods". I said, "I don't care about floods. How about tornadoes? Are you sure we're totally covered?" The guy thought I was nuts. :crazy:

Silly - you won't see them if you are on your computer!LOL at least I'll go peacefully and not full of fear.:eek: :o

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 09:25 PM
The sky will turn this weird green color, the clouds will start funnelling, and the best place to be is somewhere like a closet that attaches to the bearing wall in the house or under stairs. Hopefully that helps. We get warnings all the time and I was scared at first, but now it's like alright there's another.
Hmm... Green sky all the time or coming and going? I think lightning hit a transformer in the distance or something and the sky lit up green... :eek:

Yeah... for the where to go, we don't have a good load bearing wall (hehe we're supposed to put one in...), no stairs, and most of the closets are lacking in beams (the twits just put drywall without the 2x4's being reasonably spaced apart...).:yell:

jiorji
August 1st, 2006, 09:37 PM
umm no prin.........the sky DID turn green. And i'm really far from you. I was watching the storm and it turned green quite a few times.

someone got stuck in the elevator during the storm :(

what are the safety measures one should take during a tornado?

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 09:46 PM
you saw the green too? :eek: I'm so having nightmares tonight.

They took the warning out. It's back to just high heat and humidity.

jiorji
August 1st, 2006, 09:51 PM
yeah i did. You're scaring me. I looked up tornado safety tips and well as we don't have many tornados in Canada, most buildings don't have a tornado shelter.

Oh yeah and way to open the window to smell the rain :rolleyes: lol i'm an idiot!

and there's no information on what to do with pets:frustrated:
all I could find is:

(7) DO NOT BRING PETS OF ANY KIND TO THE SHELTER. Decide now where you will put your pets.

what are you supposed to do with them?

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 09:52 PM
**** that! No way my doggies aren't coming with me.

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 09:54 PM
lol do you see the ads at the bottom of this page? Talk about your "adventure tours"! :eek:
Oh wait, they just changed... there were "Storm chasing tours" before... :o

LavenderRott
August 1st, 2006, 10:00 PM
We used to hide in a closet in the center of the house with Chase on the bottom! :eek: At 130 pounds, the only way she fit in the closet was if she was used as a chair for my son. The girls were responsible for holding the cat. (We only had to do this once and Q weighed about 25 pounds then.)

jiorji
August 1st, 2006, 10:09 PM
there's some crazy man (i can't find his link) but he chases storms to take lightning shots. I saw his stuff and it's pretty amazing, but he gets really close. And i think his chase car is a Ford. Now i've had a ford that would break down in good weather never mind a storm, so I wouldn't trust a ford to speed out of a storm haha

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 10:11 PM
lol I'm with you on the Ford thing... No way I'd depend on one...:eek:

jawert1
August 1st, 2006, 10:32 PM
The sky will turn and stay an odd shade of grey/green like Jesses Mommy said, but you'll also hear the wind pick up and STAY up, and if you're unlucky enough to have one actually form, it'll sound louder than any train you've ever been near by as it roared past. Also, the rain (if there is any) or any small debris will start moving horizontally, rather than vertically. Good luck up there, I've been too close to one in the past and it's rather unpleasant, even when they don't demolish entire towns :/ Be safe everyone :fingerscr :pray:

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 10:41 PM
It's ok for here (storm passed), but the maritimers are next in line along with Vermont, New Hamshire, New York and maybe Maine...

jawert1
August 1st, 2006, 10:45 PM
I can only hope it heads south first and drenches us, it's still 90 degrees here in northern VA. I'll be glad when fall arrives :)

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah, it's still super hot here too, even with the rain... :rolleyes:

pamha
August 2nd, 2006, 01:57 AM
We get tornado scares all spring and actually had one rip through town in March (first one to hit in the city in 50 years). The way I keep track of whats going on is a good news/talk radio station that I only listen to during bad weather. They have people call in if they see anything significant weather-wise and have frequent updates from the weather service. Having a battery powered radio & working flashlights is essential. Any time there is a serious storm going on its a good idea to know where you can get to shelter. We just had a massive storm 2 weeks ago that wasn`t a tornado but had severe winds going to the point where it brought down trees all over the place. We still have half a tree on our power line & are waiting for a power company crew to get it off- we aren`t high on the list since we didn`t lose power so far.
Having a good news station is great because you can find out whats happening without being out in it yourself :fingerscr

angie79
August 2nd, 2006, 05:32 AM
about 10 years back living at my parents in Pincourt a tornado went through. We were sitting watching T.v. and we saw the hanging plants go straight out then back so we said ever wierd. We went out side the neighbour nest to us car window was sucked out and there was a trail to the next street, I think It helped clear the roads for the ne development.

I think we only get really small tornados here it would be here and gone before you knew it Prin.

I guess you are fine this am?

chico2
August 2nd, 2006, 07:52 AM
A few years back,we had a Tornado go straight down our street:confused:we lost 8 feet of our Blue Spruce in the front-yard,patiofurniture were flying around,rooftiles,really scary stuff.
Other houses on the streets had trees going through their roofs...
I LOVE to watch a great storm,but this was different.

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 11:06 AM
Angie, I'm ok today. It was just one storm that passed through... :thumbs up

Chico- that's what this was like. With the flashing all the time and the wind (and the green sky) it just felt like this one was different, but I'm so afraid of tornadoes that I thought it was just me freaking out over nothing...:o

OntarioGreys
August 2nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Area of Ontario are also under a Tornado warning right now, they actually seen one
Halton Hills - Milton
3:38 PM EDT Wednesday 2 August 2006
Tornado warning for
Halton Hills - Milton continued

Canwarn trained weather spotters report a tornado at 3.20 PM 3 kilometres southeast of the highway 6 and 401 intersection. A curtain of rain wraps around this tornado making it difficult to see.

This is a warning that severe thunderstorms with tornadoes are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions. Take immediate safety precautions.

Note..A summary of all warnings and watches for southern Ontario is available in the wwcn11 cwto bulletin issued immediately following this bulletin.

Canwarn trained weather spotters report a tornado at 3.20 PM 3 kilometres southeast of the highway 6 and 401 intersection. A curtain of rain wraps around this tornado making it difficult to see.

More areas warning of

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?on24

as the afternoon wears on more areas could be under a watch or Warning, severe thunderstorms are expected for much of Ontario, so keep listening to the news

As for where to take pets likely if you vet's have boarding space, you can also try animal shelters

When there is tornado warnings, you should go out and stored away all patio furniture, barbeques planters etc as these items become flying projectiles and can do significat damage

southern Ontario gets them quite often and sheer winds or straight line winds(winds get to hurricane force but don't form the funnel) , In the 14 years I have lived in my house I have had to replace the shingles off the roof 3 times due to sheer winds, the one was super bad and ripped all sorts of mature trees out of the ground in this area , a couple years before I moved here a tornado hit the city, a couple years ago it hit a nearby town. Last year Hamilton mountain got hit

this site give storm warning clues http://www.mb.ec.gc.ca/air/summersevere/ae00s27.en.html

then facts and myths about tornadoes
http://www.mb.ec.gc.ca/air/summersevere/ae00s26.en.html

chico2
August 2nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
We just had a flash-thunderstorm,did not last long,but maybe there is more to come...
The wind scares me more than anything,we are surrounded by big old trees and when I see them bending I get nervous..
We have a great big basement to hide in,should we ever need to.

Frenchy
August 2nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
I tought it was pretty cool (last night) fields all around my house,I could see the lightning pretty well!But the fuzbutts defenetly didn't liked,they were so :eek: and panting on me,Daisy was crawling on me on the couch....and today she got "locked" in the closet! I came home to find only 3 doggies to greet me (Sam,Bailey and foster Kelly) got them outside.Start to look for Daisy,panic a bit (I'm a little paranoid when it comes to her,her having cancer and all) room by room,can't find her,don't hear her.I get to the last room (guest bedroom) I see the closet sliding door a bit open,I open it and there comes Daisy!!! I guess she went in there to hide from the other storm we had this afternoon,now who close the door behind her is a mystery,I have 3 suspects and they are not talking!

dtbmnec
August 2nd, 2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah I remember when the mountain got hit last year....the boyfriend was in an accident that day too....he was fine but he'll never use that access ever again.

My house was fine becaues it was on the opposite area to where that tornado hit but it was still a really scary storm.

Today in Guelph (where I"m staying for the next few days with the 'rents) there was a thunderstorm warning. Where I live we got almost nothing, just a bit of rain and a few good cracks of lightnign/thunder. At my mom's work they had six inches of water on the ground.

Megan

catsnatcher-CDN
August 2nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
I was told that there was a tornado last night in St.Lazare.

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 06:25 PM
Pretty nuts. I couldn't find any info on a tornado in St Lazare, but when I went out this morning, there were huge branches all over the road as soon as I turned the corner. It was pretty freaky.:o

jiorji
August 2nd, 2006, 08:22 PM
We just had a flash-thunderstorm,did not last long,but maybe there is more to come...
The wind scares me more than anything,we are surrounded by big old trees and when I see them bending I get nervous..
We have a great big basement to hide in,should we ever need to.

Chico was that huge storm we had last summer in the toronto area a tornado?
Many houses got flooded and trees fell I remember.

Prin, I thought we were going to have another tornado warning today. The sky got pretty dark and I went grocery shopping around 4 and inside IGA you can't see outside(weird bombshelter store lol), and all the lights turned off and then back on, but some stayed off. Freaked me out! I was thinking "oh great something's going on and I left the cats alone :sad: "

So I hurried to finish shopping and went outside and nothing happened so I wonder what was up with the freaky lights :eek:

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 08:24 PM
Well, this afternoon they said there were still 20,000 Montrealers without power... Even more up north.:rolleyes: :( I wonder if some wires are still hooked up but just weakened.

CyberKitten
August 2nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
I have heard of the crzy guy - if you are referring to the fellow who has the web site about hurricanes. Hurricane Watch???

When I was young, we were told that if we turned on the TV and first, tuned into channel 13 and darkened the screen to almost black with the brightness control and then turned it to channel 2l and left the volume off or down, the lghtning would create white bands of various widths across the screen. (This was when we had blck and white TV's - colour TV's produe different colours). If a tornado is 15-20 miles away, the screen goes completely white - and colour one solid on colour sets. The advice was once this happened to turn off the TV, turn on your radio and get to safety!!

Now, we do not have many tornadoes in the Maritimes but we have had three so far this summer - in northern NB and I have tried the TV thing in Florida and nearly freaked when it worked. (tho I unhookded the cable so no channel would broadcast on that channel - but even if one does, apparently the colours just become brighter??? I am not sure of that tho, I'd like to know for sure) The tornado was nearby but did not affect the neighburhood and a Tornado warning was in effect. I also was in a Church once (in Fla)and dscovered the next day in the newspaper that a tornado had struck the house next to the Church about an hour after we had left. (It was a new bldg and you could see the lightning through the openings in the bldg!).

So effectively, your TV is your warning system - at least the only electronic one. The greenish black colour with white flashes is another tellteale sign, clouds moving very rapidly and whirling dust or debri on the ground. I discovered during Hurricane Juan (It hit Hfx a few yrs ago) that tornadoes - which accompany hurricanes - do not all have funnel clouds. And Juan did indeed sound like a scary huge train coming right for the house!!!

I always had wanted to chase storms (Let's say I enjoyed the movie Twister) but after Juan, I have been cured of such foolishness, lol The roof of one of the hospitals was torn off, people died and there was so much damage. So many trees were lost - and a few people died. Even the Hurricane Center in Dartmouth had to close down!! (What was the point of their bldg not being hurricane proof??). Several Residents had to move out of their apt bldg because it was damaged - a univ bldg. So, I do not want to live thru another one for awhile tho I suspect with global warming , I may not have that choice!

dtbmnec
August 2nd, 2006, 09:30 PM
I'm not in Hamilton with my kitties and I"m worried about them....I live on the third story so its kinda really bad for us and no one is able to get in to save the cats if necessary (Arron's at work so he wouldn't be able to get back up there in time)..

*sigh*

Megan

CyberKitten
August 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
dtbmnec, could you not leave a sign for fire fighters or have neighbours who will care for your cats in the event of a tornado?

dtbmnec
August 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM
I suppose I could but I haven't found any of those sticker things you can put on your door in case of fire or whatever....

I also don't know any of my neighbours (its not a very...social...apartment building....I haven't even seen them! I've heard a few things through the walls but not something that would be a conversation starter...:rolleyes:

Usually I'm not away from the house for any reason, just this week I had a doctor's appointment (to set up an allergist appointment) in Guelph and because my parents can't drive me home until Sunday I've been away. I'd take the bus but I brought down my desktop PC and its a little heavy to carry four or five blocks to the bus station.

When Arron and I went away for the day to Canada's Wonderland I had my friends come in and feed the cats but I wouldn't want them to leave their basement appartment for my kitties (if they got hurt trying to save *my* cats I'd feel horrid).

Megan

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
I suppose I could but I haven't found any of those sticker things you can put on your door in case of fire or whatever....
There's one in the pets.ca store: http://www.pets.ca/onlinestore/modeng/name/onlinestore/catid/16

Or you could just make your own with pics and things.:)

dtbmnec
August 3rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
There's one in the pets.ca store: http://www.pets.ca/onlinestore/modeng/name/onlinestore/catid/16

Or you could just make your own with pics and things.:)

You see I'm a total creative moron. Creativity to me only comes in spurts and randomly. Hence not realising that I could actually (gasp) make my own.

And I don't like buying anything online anymore...my credit card was stolen a while back and I'd ended up recieving spammed messages in my mail (and apparently Hamilton is in Minnesota ??). I don't trust online much anymore. :(

I shall go find some in stores I just hadn't gotten around to getting one.

Megan

chico2
August 3rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
Megan,any pet-supply store sells them as does Humane Society:cat: