Prin
August 1st, 2006, 06:44 PM
What a loser.

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM
Yeah that is pretty much my feelings on it to

LavenderRott
August 1st, 2006, 06:58 PM
I think he got arrested for drinking and driving just like thousands of other men and women in the U.S. every day.

What I don't understand is why it is so much a bigger deal (or at least it is being treated as such) then certain other super celebrities who spouted of on national (or international if it was seen in Canada) t.v. about the illegitimacy of the study of psychiatry and the invalidity of post partum stress.

I haven't seen or read the police report. I wasn't there at the scene. But I can't imagine that it was any worse then some of the episodes of Cops.

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 07:02 PM
What is causing the uproar is the anti-semitic remarks he made while getting arrested.

mastifflover
August 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM
And while promoting the Passion of the Christ his father made a comment about the Holocaust not being as bad as it is made out to be. I do not remember the quote. Guess the apple does not fall far from the tree.

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM
Yeah He Said Some Pretty Hateful Things..

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 07:09 PM
And while promoting the Passion of the Christ his father made a comment about the Holocaust not being as bad as it is made out to be. I do not remember the quote. Guess the apple does not fall far from the tree.It was something like most of the holocaust was fictional. :sad: And everybody just brushed it off. But now, with a second episode, people are a lot less forgiving.

LavenderRott
August 1st, 2006, 07:12 PM
So it is alright to say that women who suffer from post partum depression are liars and just need watch their diet and exercise more on national television?

I didn't hear Mel make any anti-semitic remarks. While I have seen A police report being waved around on television - it certainly isn't of any quality that I can read. I don't hear him spouting off about different religions on a regular basis and I don't see him running for a public office that would make his personal views important.

I am sure there are plenty of people in the world that keep their political and/or religious views to themselves but after a few beers, forget to shut up. It isn't a crime. Just like it isn't a crime for Tom to tell Matt Laur to shut up and get a clue about what a crock the study of psychiatry is.

How about we remember that Mel (like Tom) is JUST a man. He was ticketed and arrested for his crime. Anything beyond that is just the press making as big a deal (and as much money) as possible from the mistakes of someone more famous then them.

LavenderRott
August 1st, 2006, 07:13 PM
My father is a child molester but that doesn't make me one!

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 07:15 PM
I don't know- I wouldn't want to give Mel or Tom any of my money if I can help it. Just because the attention is on Mel, it doesn't mean Tom is all roses. He's still a total a** too.;)

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 07:15 PM
I Agree He Is Just A Human,but When He Put Out His Movie Passion,he Said He Was Not Trying To Make It Seem Like The Jews Caused It(or Something Along Those Lines)and He Looks Like An Idiot Now After Saying What He Said,it Is On Audiotape I Heard It Somewhere And Then Getting Pulled Over 2 X Before For Dui's And Getting Off,i Think It Is Totally Unfair.

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 07:16 PM
My father is a child molester but that doesn't make me one!
It does if you molest kids. Mel's dad spews anti-semitic remarks and his son does too.

LavenderRott
August 1st, 2006, 07:17 PM
Yeah He Said Some Pretty Hateful Things..

Did you hear him say them?

Look. I am not saying that Mel is a saint or that he loves the Jewish people. But, we weren't there and we didn't hear what was said. We are taking the word of the press on just how hateful these things were. This is the same press that would call a labrador a pit bull if it bit or killed someone.

I have watched several different news casts and other then the words "anti-semitic" and something about resisting arrest (what drunk doesn't) I haven't heard anything specific about what he supposedly said.

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 07:17 PM
hE HAS EVEN APOLOGIZED FOR THE HATEFUL REMARKS HE MADE,I LOVE BOOZE YOUR TRUE COLORS SURE DO COME OUT

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 07:19 PM
Here's the police report. Look at line 12 and on, on page 2
http://cdn.digitalcity.com/tmz_documents/gibson_wm_docs_072806.pdf

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 07:20 PM
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Mel Gibson says there's "no excuse" and there should be "no tolerance" for "anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark." In a statement, Gibson says, "I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a D-U-I charge."

Gibson goes on to say, "I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith." He asks to meet with leaders of the Jewish community for what he calls a "one-on-one discussion" to find "the appropriate path for healing."

LavenderRott
August 1st, 2006, 07:23 PM
It does if you molest kids. Mel's dad spews anti-semitic remarks and his son does too.

Other then this incident, I haven't heard a single word about Mel spewing anti-semitic remarks.

Look, I don't want to argue with you lovely ladies, honest. I am just trying to point out that the press blows things out of proportion on a daily basis. I think that we, as a people, spend way to much time worrying about what people like Brittany, Tom, Jessica and Mel do in their private lives. What Tom said when he was arrested is his personal business (as it didn't break any laws) just like what Department of Child Services said to Brittany when they inspected her home.

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 07:26 PM
Yeah, but then you get into the whole debate over celebrity and how much privacy they're entitled to. They already have the "Important person's act" to cover their hineys with. A police report is a public thing, unfortunately for them.

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 07:27 PM
well now you have,i just was seeing what people thought ,i am not here to debate it either..Here is more forOn Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Click to see portions of the original report.

Comments updated 7/30/2006 12:15 pm EST

you///

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 07:30 PM
He also said at one point after Passions came out that hating people is a sin or something, so it's against his religion to hate any people (obviously paraphrased).

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 07:31 PM
I do not worry about them in my daily life,but everywhere you look there are certain stars that PUT themselves out there for attention all the time,so when it is negative people are gonna take notice,there plenty of stars you never hear about because they choose not to splatter themselves all over the place unlike the tom's and brittneys who do

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 07:32 PM
They say half is the media bothering them and half is them bothering the media. ;)

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 07:37 PM
Prin you are good,you know i just think they reallyhate it so much do what that hotty Johnny Depp did,MOVE away froollywood

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 07:39 PM
Exactly. And don't keep telling the media where you're going.:rolleyes:

LavenderRott
August 1st, 2006, 07:41 PM
Seems to me there was a big brew-ha-ha a couple of years ago when Johnny made some comments that were taken to be anti-American.

Oh, and Mel lives pretty far from Hollywood too.

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 07:47 PM
I am just trying to use him as an example as someone who moved away from the hollywood nightmare and i think he did say something like that,but hey he backed it up and moved to France and left the usa.Which yes i know he still does do movies and stuff,but anyway point being move away from where the limelight is gonna be if you dont like it,and yes Mel Giboson does not stay in the publice eye like tom c,brittney etc etc but that wasnt what this post was about it was about him saying how he does not hate jews and his movie was not bashing jewish people and obviously he is a liar and he is prejudice,which i am sure does not bother him with his wallet size

LavenderRott
August 1st, 2006, 07:56 PM
I can't think of a single person that I know that doesn't have some prejuidice or another.

I have to wonder (well, I don't really - who has time?!) how many of our law makers are anti-gay, anti-semitic, white supremesist, and whatever else.

I guess I am just amazed that we, as a people, are so concerned with what other people do on their own time. I could see there being an uproar if Mel had stood on a podium and gone on and on about the Jews. But he didn't and we need to get on with our lives.

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 08:03 PM
I At Least Dont Lie And Say I Dont Have Any Prejudices ,i Do..and Yeah It Was On His Own Time,but He Was Drunk And Driving And It Could Of Been Alot Worse Had He Not Gotten Pulled Over,once Again I Was Just Curious As To What People Thought ,not About How We All Worry About Other Peoples Lives,i Certainly Have My Own Problems To Worry About,i Do Not Wake Up And Start Worrying About Movie Stars Lives....it Was Just A Simple Question

LavenderRott
August 1st, 2006, 08:11 PM
I At Least Dont Lie And Say I Dont Have Any Prejudices ,i Do..and Yeah It Was On His Own Time,but He Was Drunk And Driving And It Could Of Been Alot Worse Had He Not Gotten Pulled Over,once Again I Was Just Curious As To What People Thought ,not About How We All Worry About Other Peoples Lives,i Certainly Have My Own Problems To Worry About,i Do Not Wake Up And Start Worrying About Movie Stars Lives....it Was Just A Simple Question

I didn't say that you did any of these things. I am just telling me what I think.

Honestly, I don't think that what celebrities do on their own time is any of my business unless they put it out there for me to see. For example - Angelina and her work on behalf of children in Third World countries, Harry Connick, Jr. and his fund raising efforts for New Orleans, and of course, our beloved Tom and his remarks on a morning news show about mental illness.

I am, however, human so when a star does something monumtentally stupid (like drive around with their infant child in their lap!) you bet I am going to look at the pictures. :D

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 08:15 PM
THat is prettymuch what i am saying ,i look on cnn everyday and when i see something like that,i am gonna read it and see what the story is..I just do get sick of some of these people that complain about poor me the paparazzi wont leave me alone,and these are the same people always splashes across the news with there personla life out there for everyone to see,at 20 million a picture for most of them i have no sympathy at all.

jiorji
August 1st, 2006, 08:49 PM
I am sure there are plenty of people in the world that keep their political and/or religious views to themselves but after a few beers, forget to shut up. It isn't a crime. Just like it isn't a crime for Tom to tell Matt Laur to shut up and get a clue about what a crock the study of psychiatry is.

LOL Mel Gibson is a pretty proud catholic and an old school one too. He has made anti semitic remarks before, about his wife. And both Tom and Mel are psychopaths. Tom isn't liked anymore for what he said about that post pregnancy depression. From what I've heard, the Passion of Christ was made in an anti semetic light, appart from the fact that it was too bloody.

And i think it matters that things like that are taken into consideration, because too many people think celebrities are perfect people whom they look up to. And there is no excuse for racial or anti semetic remarks whether you are drunk or not. That's what the big fuss is all about.

and I like Angelina's devotion to the UN and to orphans.

glasslass
August 1st, 2006, 08:54 PM
I've always been a fan of Mel. I'm disappointed in his behavior. I do appreciate his apology and humility and think it's genuine. I met him years ago when he was making a movie near my city. He came in unexpectedly into a Japanese restaurant and stayed a couple hours. He was personable, great to everybody (and this city is very diverse ethnically) and just seemed like a heck of a nice person. No putting on airs; very warm and friendly. He entertained on the Karoke and laughed at himself. He never acted the big shot or excluded anyone. He was just there to have a nice evening. I'm still a fan and hope he is able to pull himself back together. It must be hard to have an alcohol problem when you're in the spotlight all the time.

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 12:21 AM
MEL: What should I do?! My credibility is gone!
PR Person: Hmm.. I've got it! Go to rehab! It worked for Kate Moss. Nobody even remembers those pics of her on the front page sniffing coke! People will stop being angry and feel sorry for you for having such a hard life. Once we pretend you're in rehab, you just have to lay low until Tom Cruise says something stupid again.
MEL: Great idea!

Gibson in rehab
'Lethal Weapon' actor Mel Gibson has checked into rehab for alcoholism.
(BANG) - Mel Gibson has gone into rehab in a fresh attempt to win his battle against alcoholism.

The 'Lethal Weapon' star launched into a drunken tirade, during which he allegedly made anti-Semitic comments after being stopped by police in Malibu, California, on Friday (28.07.06).

Mel's spokesman Alan Neirob confirmed: "He has definitely entered a programme."

However, he refused to say where the rehab facility is or how long the actor will remain there.

Meanwhile, the 'Passion of the Christ' director has apologised for his actions. He said: "After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable."

He added: "I am deeply ashamed of everything I said, and I apologise to anyone who I have offended."

Mel concluded: "I have battled the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse."

(C) BANG Media International

mastifflover
August 2nd, 2006, 12:36 AM
MEL: What should I do?! My credibility is gone!
PR Person: Hmm.. I've got it! Go to rehab! It worked for Kate Moss. Nobody even remembers those pics of her on the front page sniffing coke! People will stop being angry and feel sorry for you for having such a hard life. Once we pretend you're in rehab, you just have to lay low until Tom Cruise says something stupid again.
MEL: Great idea!
Exactly why do you think the pr guys make such good money. Mel will probably go into hiding for 30 or 60 days then appear all better and apologetic.

LM1313
August 2nd, 2006, 01:14 AM
I think it's disgusting that he made those remarks and stupid that he was driving drunk. (And, no, I don't think Tom Cruise's remarks are any more acceptable. Tom Cruise is a moron.)

What really bothers me is that the initial reports of his swearing were glossed over in the sheriff's report. (Not the report from the police officer, but the report made to the public the next day.) If it had been John Doe swearing and shouting, it would've been detailed, but, OMG, actors are SPECIAL and they have to be PROTECTED from the consequences of their actions, it's not like they're RESPONSIBLE for them. :rolleyes:

LavenderRott
August 2nd, 2006, 01:22 AM
I think it's disgusting that he made those remarks and stupid that he was driving drunk. (And, no, I don't think Tom Cruise's remarks are any more acceptable. Tom Cruise is a moron.)

What really bothers me is that the initial reports of his swearing were glossed over in the sheriff's report. (Not the report from the police officer, but the report made to the public the next day.) If it had been John Doe swearing and shouting, it would've been detailed, but, OMG, actors are SPECIAL and they have to be PROTECTED from the consequences of their actions, it's not like they're RESPONSIBLE for them. :rolleyes:

If John Doe had been arrested for drinking and driving, the police wouldn't have glossed over anything because NOBODY would have given a darn. People get arrested every single day for DUI. People get arrested every day for drinking and hitting people but it is such a common occurance that reporters don't even bother to report it. BECAUSE it was an actor it is big news. That is the crock.

Honestly, what business is it of ours that he cussed at the officers. And really, what business of ours if he made some anti semitic comments. NONE of that is illegal. He was arrested for the crime that he did commit. He got to spend the night in the drunk tank, just like a regular criminal.

I can think of so many more things that are much more disgusting then anti-semitic remarks that we get a 2 second report on the evening news, but we are going to hear about what Mel said when he was drunk for weeks. THAT is tragic.

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
In Qc, they make a pretty big deal about drinking and driving, even when it's Joe Nobody. Our laws suck and aren't strict enough, so people get publicly shamed instead.:thumbs up :shrug:

Puppyluv
August 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
LR are you kidding???? When someone is famous and in the limelight, they have an obligation to not spew innapropriate bullsh!t. If Mel wants to be anti semite and keep it under wraps, then fine, it's not cool, but it's not hurting anyone. But when someone that famous makes racial remarks, and that's what they are, it makes it "ok". Not to those of us who know it's not, but to the kids who don't. I think it's ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING what he's done, and I personally think that his appology was genuine only in the sense that he regrets the negative impact it will have on his career (Disney is already rumoured to be reconsidering his series and movie)

LavenderRott
August 2nd, 2006, 11:56 AM
LR are you kidding???? When someone is famous and in the limelight, they have an obligation to not spew innapropriate bullsh!t. If Mel wants to be anti semite and keep it under wraps, then fine, it's not cool, but it's not hurting anyone. But when someone that famous makes racial remarks, and that's what they are, it makes it "ok". Not to those of us who know it's not, but to the kids who don't. I think it's ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING what he's done, and I personally think that his appology was genuine only in the sense that he regrets the negative impact it will have on his career (Disney is already rumoured to be reconsidering his series and movie)

No I'm not kidding. If he stood at a podium or was saying these things on a national television show, then I would be upset.

It is my understanding that he got pulled over (and arrested) at night by two officers. There wasn't a big crowd, no one to "overhear" the conversation. To me, the disgusting part is that the press wasn't happy with the news that he was arrested for DUI, they had to go digging to find dirt.

I certainly don't see the press looking at the police reports of everyone that was arrested for DUI in just that county the same night. Because no one would care if John Smith said something "inappropriate".

In this country, it is my right to think however I like. If I want to be a bigot, well, then I can be. (Not that I am, but I could be if I wanted to. :) ) Apparently, I can stand on the rooftops and shout my bigotry to the world if I so desire - the KKK and other organizations do it all of the time.

Apparently, Mel grew up in a family where anti-semitic speech and feelings were the norm. Would it really be a shock if he felt that way himself? I haven't seen the movie that he made, but from what I heard, it was pretty close to the story as told in the Bible. But, like I said, I haven't seen it. He doesn't stand around spewing his beliefs on a regular basis or encouraging people to "kill Jews" or anything of the sort.

I have a brother in law that I just love. He is a great guy, would give you the shirt off of his back, etc. But he is the ugliest drunk I have ever seen. My ex-husband got drunk once and told me he was in the CIA! Does it make it true because he was drunk? I hardly think so.

badger
August 2nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
LavenderRott, I tend to agree. This guy didn't sign on to be a role model. However, given that people insist on setting movie stars up as paragons of...something....(not virtue, shurely), means that in situations like this, he is ripe for rejection.
Still, strictly in his own interests, given that he works in an industry which includes many Jews, maybe he should have chosen another ox to gore in public.

Remember when Ellen Generes hosted the Oscars for the first time, it must have been right after the attacks in New York and the US was looking for Osama in Afghanistan (not very hard, unfortunately, he is still hiding in plain sight, protected by WHO? whole other subject)
Anyway Generes said something like, how irritating must it be for those jihadi guys, to see a gay woman in a suit, surrounded by Jews. The audience loved it!

heidiho
August 2nd, 2006, 01:43 PM
The only thing i think is wrong here is how he was pulled over 2 x before for suspicon of dui and let go,i am sure because who he is,and the fact that when he put that m,ovie out he saidhe was not trying to make jewish people look like the bad ones when actually he was...

LavenderRott
August 2nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
I was once pulled over for suspicion of DUI and let go. Yes, I had had a drink but no, I wasn't drunk - there was a beetle in the car!

Do celebrities get special treatment? You bet they do. But I am also willing to bet that they don't always ask for it. And if he was pulled over 2 and let go when he shouldn't have been - then shame on the cops!

heidiho
August 2nd, 2006, 02:15 PM
For sure shame on the cops,and i do love the going into rehab thing they all do when they are caught,like they would of really been going otherwise,nice touch....

heidiho
August 2nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
And the one thing that blows me away the most is these stars that get pulled over for dui have all the money in the world,WHY would you not have a limo drive your a** around when you are drinking or have one pick you up,i guarantee you if i had that kind of money i sure would,there really is no excuse for that

CyberKitten
August 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM
I do not even know why we are giving this dolt the time of day!! (I hated the Passion of the Christ - it WAS violent and anti semetic as is Mr. Gibson.) You know the saying that there is no such thing as bad publicity - I think this case proves otherwise.

catsnatcher-CDN
August 2nd, 2006, 09:23 PM
I do not even know why we are giving this dolt the time of day!! (I hated the Passion of the Christ - it WAS violent and anti semetic as is Mr. Gibson.) You know the saying that there is no such thing as bad publicity - I think this case proves otherwise.

Well said!

les
August 3rd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Alright .... first of all who cares what he said? We weren't there and therefore we don't really know what was said. The report I read on pulse24 said the arresting officer wasn't offended and knew it was booze talking .. so, if the officer wasn't offended and it was said to him, why are regular people so offended? Has nobody else, nobody here, ever said anything that might offend other people? We're not perfect, no one is, so stop making it out that Mel Gibson is the worst guy on the planet .. who cares ... move on .. worry about your own life and things you say and forget about it.

And this: Originally Posted by jiorji

Tom isn't liked anymore for what he said about that post pregnancy depression.

Isn't liked anymore? Says who? You? Are you the official poll taker of the world? I like him just fine .. I mean, he's an actor and frankly, I don't care what he says ... I like his movies (sometimes ;))

Lastly,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten

The Passion of the Christ was anti semetic?? Ummm ... did you actually watch it or are you merely repeating something you read somewhere?

If the Passion is anti semetic then the WHOLE bible must be anti semetic.

The movie is the last hours of Jesus's life.

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST is a vivid depiction of the last 12 hours of Jesus Christ's life.

Here's the story:

Sometime around the year A.D. 30, in the Roman province of Palestine, an obscure Jewish carpenter named Jesus of Nazareth began to teach publicly and to proclaim the coming of a 'Kingdom of God.' For centuries, the Jewish people had expected the appearance of a promised deliverer known as the Messiah --a figure who would restore their ancient dignity, and free their sacred homeland from all evil and despair. In the minds of many, Jesus appeared to be this Messiah. Surrounded by a core group of twelve disciples, Jesus began to attract a massive following from among the common people of Galilee and Judea, who eventually praised him as their Messiah and King. However, Jesus also had many enemies in Jerusalem. The Sanhedrin, a governing senate composed of the leading Jewish priests and Pharisees, conspired to put Jesus to death.

With the aid of Judas Iscariot, a member of Jesus' own inner circle, the Sanhedrin succeeded in arresting Jesus, handing him over to the Roman secular authorities on unsubstantiated charges of treason against Rome. Although Jesus consistently maintained that his Kingdom was a heavenly and spiritual one, the Roman procurator Pontius Pilate, faced with the possibility of a riot, ordered that Jesus be taken outside the city and crucified as a common criminal.

So the ROMAN PROCURATOR PONTIUS PILOT ordered the crucifixtion. He made the final call, and although they portrayed him as somewhat sympathetic in the movie, he STILL had the final say!

So, yeah the high priests wanted him killed and they were Jewish but there were plenty of Jews who DID NOT want him killed.

"There is absolutely nothing anti-Semitic or anti-Jewish about Mel Gibson's film," said Augustine Di Noia, a theologian at the Vatican. "What happens in the film is that each of the main characters contributes in some way to Jesus' fate: Judas betrays him; the Sanhedrin accuses him; the disciples abandon him; the crowd mocks him; the Roman soldiers scourge, brutalize, and finally crucify him; and the devil, somehow, is behind the whole action."

As for was it gory? Of course it was ... they didn't beat Jesus with flowers and pillows .. not even in the Bible. Mel Gibson wanted to capture the real passion of Christ, not the artistic images we see day to day .. that show no suffering, no blood, no gore.

BILLY GRAHAM said, "The film is faithful to the Bible's teaching that we are all responsible for Jesus' death, because we all have sinned," the 85-year-old evangelist said. "It is our sins that caused his death, not any particular group."

I would argue anybody who claims the Passion of the Christ is anti semetic.
That would be like saying Schindler's List is anti Germany. All I can say is it's a movie worth watching and yeah, it's graphic but it's what happened. If you want a movie that will make you feel, this is it.

references:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335345/
http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/passion.htm

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
Isn't liked anymore? Says who? You? Are you the official poll taker of the world? I like him just fine .. I mean, he's an actor and frankly, I don't care what he says ... I like his movies (sometimes )I think she meant liked any more than Mel. As in, what he did wasn't good either.

And I've never seen somebody quote Billy Graham..:D

les
August 3rd, 2006, 01:37 PM
LOL .. Me neither .... guess there's a first for everything ;) I'm not even to sure who he is ... I just liked what he said!

Actors are just like everybody else ... mostly not so smart it seems ;) Give it a few more days and no doubt some other celebrity will say something equally as taboo and that'll be the next drama.

mastifflover
August 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Pesonally I agree it was anti semetic and honesly could careless if he makes another film he is getting to out there for me. Do you really think he is in rehab get real it all spin. Yes unfortunately you are a role model when you are in the public eye so deal with or get a different job. But they all love being role models when things are rosey and then when they are not they cry about privacy.
Bottom line he is an idiot he drove a car drunk I guess he could not afford a cab or limo with the billion he made on the Passions

BILLY GRAHAM said, "The film is faithful to the Bible's teaching that we are all responsible for Jesus' death, because we all have sinned," the 85-year-old evangelist said. "It is our sins that caused his death, not any particular group."

and I could post this from the Boston Globe or hundreds of others

An obscene portrayal of Christ's Passion
By James Carroll, 2/24/2004

"THE PASSION of The Christ" by Mel Gibson is an obscene movie. It will incite contempt for Jews. It is a blasphemous insult to the memory of Jesus Christ. It is an icon of religious violence. Like many others, I anticipated the Gibson film warily, especially because an uncritical rendition of problematic Gospel texts which unfairly blame "the Jews" for the death of Jesus threatened to resuscitate the old "Christ-killer" myth.

Dragonfly
August 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Let's not let this get out of hand.

mastifflover
August 3rd, 2006, 02:18 PM
I had a feeling we would be hearing from you soon. Yeah religion and politics are not good discussions on a public forum they can get pretty nasty.

les
August 3rd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Not getting out of hand here :)

I honestly just don't understand how anybody can view it (the movie) as anti semetic.

I also don't see how it blames the Jews .. if anything, I'd say it blames the Romans!

What I found the movie to be about, and the main theme was love and forgiveness.

When Jesus is on the cross at the end and the high priests are kind of smirking and the Roman soldiers are kind of laughing, Jesus says ... Father .. Forgive them ... They know not what they do.

That is far from blaming anybody for anything and that's what I came away with.

Maya
August 3rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
I just have to get my two cents in here!! :) I have seen the violent clips of the movie, the blood squirting, the loud thumping sound effects of flesh being mutilated. I have to wonder how glorifying violence can be viewed as a message of love and forgiveness by any person or faith?? I also think it is interesting how Mel says it's against his faith to be intolerant of others. Doesn't he himself think it is wrong? Also my bf was in a horrible crash a couple of years ago and nearly died because a drunk driver hit him. It's not much of an example to be setting for all the fans out there many that don't do much thinking for themselves. Whenever someone like a movie star or figure head does something awful it seems like so many people step up in thier defense and basically say well he's just a big jerk like us, see we can all be nasty and irresponsible.

Puppyluv
August 3rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
I agree with CK, the Passion was insanely anti-semetic, and yes Mel, I ACTUALLY watched the movie, but I'm finding it hard to believe that you have if you truly think that it teaches empathy. and Mel's claims that most of the holocaust was fiction is also anti-semetic. Although, the fact that you "Like Tom Cruise just fine" makes me take your comments on here with a grain of salt. Tom is bloody nuts, and his official popularity has dropped drastically since all his scientology crap became public.

Talk to a Jewish person who has seen the Passion, I have, and they can list the many many anti-semetic undertones of the movie. It was disgusting, and frankly, Mel is getting pretty disgusting too.

heidiho
August 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
I am gonna try to lighten this up,if you go to usmagazine.com they have a video of WATCH THE TRANSFORMATION OF MEL,it is really pretty funny..

les
August 3rd, 2006, 06:59 PM
To clarify, I said I like Tom Cruise just fine ... I don't care what religious belief
system he follows .. and yeah, I think scientology is a load of crap but it doesn't change how I feel about him. I don't even know him. That was my point.

I also never said drinking under the influence wasn't a big deal. That's a HUGE deal .. but to then go on and on about what he said after the fact. That's what I have an issue with. And sure, him going into rehab is a load of crap too - and the fact that he's going to meet with Jewish leaders to ask ... I don't know what, that's crap too. But, stick to what he did wrong .. not what he did or didn't say.

Third, if people are so insane to have a role model who's an actor .. well .. there's not much I can say to that. What are we looking up to? His money? His acting?

Lastly, the Passion of the Christ does not glorify violence. It is violent, very, very violent. But, again it's told as it is in the Bible. And yes, it is about forgiveness and love (the love Jesus has for ALL people) - - otherwise Jesus would have run away instead and it'd be a whole different story.

And again, I would love to hear what the anti semetic messages were. It seems nobody can list any other then to say someone told them there were some. (And please leave out the one about how the high priests looked ugly ... I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that today!)

les
August 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Okay ... doing some anti semetic research on my own here

Check out this article (if you want to of course!) http://www.decentfilms.com/sections/articles/2543

It's actually pretty good - lists some points for both sides of the arguement. I suppose I can see the point of the Jews that were/are afraid of what the movie would cause.

And the point about Pontius Pilate was (from what I always learned) way off (in how sympathetic they made him in the movie) An interesting part of that article :

"Compared to the gospels, the character of Pontius Pilate in the film is more nuanced and sympathetic than the canonical figure, while Caiaphas, the Jewish high priest, is somewhat less so. The film develops in detail Pilate’s inner struggle and his motivations for crucifying Jesus, yet no attention is given to Caiaphas’s motivations — which, as it happens, are according to John’s gospel remarkably similar to Pilate’s. Both men are trying to keep the peace and avoid potentially dangerous unrest; Pilate fears a riot, while Caiaphas fears a Roman crackdown."

However, I find the last paragraph sums it up (at least how I took the movie):

"Finally, at the moment of the crucifixion itself, Mel Gibson’s own hand holds the nail to be driven through Jesus’ hand, symbolizing the director’s acknowledgement that it was finally for his own sins — for the sins of the whole world, not of any one generation or people — that Jesus died. That is the message of the film, and the final answer to concerns about anti-Semitism, and The Passion of the Christ never loses sight of it."

heidiho
August 3rd, 2006, 07:33 PM
This is getting a little ugly people,i did not mean it to turn so religous.....

catsnatcher-CDN
August 3rd, 2006, 07:38 PM
ya heidiho! You've caused all these problems!! Your thread title " Ok Mel Gibson " was very controversial!!!
.....Just cuz you own a condo in MAUI NOW!!!!
:crazy:

heidiho
August 3rd, 2006, 07:44 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: hee hee that is funny,i know i am gonna be an owner of the green property here in maui(monopoly) ha ha..We r in escrow still so who knows...trying for no money down,crazy i know..But any way i know i am a troublemaker,but really didnt think it would get this ugly,sorryyy moderators:sad: :sad:

les
August 3rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
It's not that ugly is it? I know it's pretty controversial but it's still interesting to hear other people's opinions on it all :) :dog: (Just cause I really like that head ;))

heidiho
August 3rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Maybe not,but it could be if it turns all about religon..

les
August 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
Yeah, religion is a tricky subject anywhere!

CyberKitten
August 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
I'll try to be brief because some of what I read here frustrates me. Yes, I did indeed watch The Passion of the Christ - I am a veteran of the Catholic school system (which was very good to me and I enjoyed it, I do not like to hear discriminatroy remarks about Roman Catholics any more than I do about Jews or any religion for that matter.) I hated the movie!!! Loathed it. I know the crucifiction was violent but this movie was way over the top!!! And I think it is rude for anyone to think I would make a comment about a movie I have never seen - that is just proposterpous. I try to be kknowledgable about what I discuss. Had I not seen it, I would say nothing. I watched it purely because of the publicity and wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt because I did actually like Mel Gibson or at least his previous work. Can't say I like someone I do not know, lol But to me the anti semetism was so blatant that I cannot understand how anyone would not get that. I would think that by now - in the 21st century - we have moved beyond blaming one religious group. The vatican certainly has moved on.(well most of them anyway) So should the rest of us. I even hate the fact that people criticize the current Pope because he belonged to Hitler youth even though he explained that he had no choice. (He may have had a choice but the other alternative may have meant we would not have him as "Papa" - as you doubtless know the Pope is called in Rome. Plus he was a child for God's sake - no pun intended, lol)

What I saw in that movie was the way the Jewish Leaders were portrayed. I read as much theology as I can - and history of religions and in that context, this movie was not done well at all!! There was no examination of the role of the Romans vs the Jewish Leaders. Yes, crucifiction was a Roman thing but of you watch that movie, you would not learn that. He could have used the movie to educate people but it was nothing but pure unadulterated violence!! I found it hard to even watch all of it - it made me so arrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh!! (Then again, I do not like those movies of the current Gov of Calif either but I don't see why it was neceassary to make the movie in that way. It was such a wasted opportunity!!

And re: what business of ours if he made some anti semitic comments.

It IS all of our business when anyone who is a role model - he may not have asked for it but indirectly by opting to be in the limelight, he did make that choice. He cannot have it both ways. Any time any one of us makes comments about any religious group, it lessens all of us. I'd like to think each religion teches us moral values and concern for the well being of others. The fact he was drinking and driving and then taking advantage of his celebrity to be treated differently - and celebs are treated differently for better or worse for them and then aggressively making crude remarks about one religion at a time of intense conflict in the world speaks volumes about his moral compass.

None of us is perfect and I do not expect him to be. But it is my duty and responsiblity to speak out when any group is attacked and I will always do so. That much I learned in Catholic school. and from my parents.<g> I come from a family that is partly Jewish and partly Catholic so have navigated those sometimes murky waters all my life. It just makes me sad more than anything when someone like him makes vile statements about any group.

I would have thought - given the controversy over the movie and his father's comments (I ad never heard any anti-semetic comments by him before) that he would be espexially cautious is making observations about religion - he needed a PR person well before this it seems and now I hope he can get some help for his addition. As for his beliefs, there is little I can do about that but thank goodness there are good laws regarding civil rights. One of my teachers always quoted that famous Edmund Burke line (and he had so many, lol) about evil flourishing when good people do nothing. (He said men but he made the observation in the 19th Century before women had as many rights as we now do.) As long as people remain silent when one or more of us makes hateful comments about any religion - regardless of whether it is mine, yours or anyone else's, evil will flourish in the guise of intolerance. We need to move on!!

Anyway, I am done on this sad topic!!

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 09:05 PM
I also never said drinking under the influence wasn't a big deal.That's the worst kind of drinking. You should only drink when there is no peer pressure. :D
:clown: (oh wait, we lost him :()

But it is my duty and responsiblity to speak out when any group is attacked and I will always do so. :confused:

heidiho
August 3rd, 2006, 09:09 PM
I have to say my last thought on this,I am jsut sick of stars getting caught at something,then doing the whole "OH I AM SO SORRY I AM GOING TO REHAB" it is getting really old,and i am not buying it,the only reason they so that is beacause they got caught,just like a chaeating spouse is sooo sorry ,NO you got caught that is why..

meb999
August 3rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
My two cents :
Tom's crazy.
Mel's crazy.
Alot of religious extremists are crazy, because they are just that : extremists.

I don't feel bad for either Tom OR Mel for having to deal with the media.
They can go cry in their bags of money.