Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How is everyone coping with the heat?

OntarioGreys
August 1st, 2006, 02:35 PM
I am very thankful I have this week off work, if I had to go in today I would likely be in the hospital hooked up to a bunch on machines and saline drips again, so I am trying to stay cool by staying in the house but the A/c is slowly losing the battle in indoor temp has went up 5F in the past 4 hours, just hoping the power does not go out today, I expect the power usage is at an all time high

Right now here almost 115F expected to reach 118F, I checked Montreal and noted it was 111F, the southern states(Miami, Houston, Phoenix, Montgomery, Los Angeles) has gorgeous weather compared to here and Anchorage is expected to have a high of 59F

LibbyP
August 1st, 2006, 03:03 PM
Well I can tell you here with no A/C we are one miserable family. We have the fans going full blast and its hotter then H*** in here, this am we drove to the mall to 'hang' out for acouple hours, ended up being the whole am. Got back into the van and got all the way home and pulled into the driveway and my little boy thew up all over himself, going from hot to cold back to really hot doesn't sit well I found out:yuck: he's fine now lounging around in his little boy underwear has to be the cutest thing going (he's only 2.5) now were hiding down in the basement watching 'Ice Age' with wash clothes on their heads and I am sweating in places that I didn't know I had :yuck: :o :shrug: sorry but you asked

jawert1
August 1st, 2006, 03:57 PM
Unfortunately I'm like Libby's lil guy, my office building is running about 60F (they've got the AC blasting) but it's about 102F outside. The trek from the office to the car is enough to make me nauseous, but thankfully I've got it running at home so when I'm done quickly walking the furries, I can be ill in the cool :/ They hate it more than me tho I think, including Simon Pointer, who's a total lizard in Pointer's clothing (loves the sun), as he's been hiding in the kitchen away from any windows on the tile floor.

Rick C
August 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
Its cooled right down around here . . . . . I had the heater on a little bit in the vehicle this morning as it was seven celcius (45 farenheit) when I started out. . . . . . about 21 or so right now I think. . . . . nice night to ride the bike on the highway.

A client just told me he was riding horses in the Highwood Pass west of Calgary yesterday and there was fresh snow on the ground.

I'd believe it as Keeper, Abby and I were there on Sunday and it was fairly cool . . . . . Keeper below lays in a ice cool stream coming out of the ground behind the log in the background of this flood plain west of Calgary on Sunday . . . . . if you're boiling, just imagine dipping your toes in!!!.

http://www.goldentales.ca/18710096-edit1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

catsnatcher-CDN
August 1st, 2006, 04:27 PM
3 air conditioners full blast and a Moka Frappuccino. I'm freakin' freazing!:D

mastifflover
August 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM
It is so freakin hot in my place no ac I have 5 fans running full and they are blowing the hot air around so at least we have a saharan breeze. Bud is miserable I keep spraying him down with water and he barely moves poor guy. But I am going to brave the heat for my boy and going to get him some Frosty Paws and maybe some Ice cream for me. Thankfully the grocery store is literally right next to me.

chico2
August 1st, 2006, 05:12 PM
Here,right now it's +36C,probably 40 something with the humidex,it feels like an oven outside.
I don't know how people with no a/c do it,it must be unbearable.
We are fine central air,pool,a/c in the car..but I hate it:yell:
My cats stayed out for about 1/2 hour,Bailey(the Cocker)just walked far enough to poop and pee,then we went for a swim.
Beiley does not like the pool,but I am sure she felt great after a dip..
My son and his girlfriend are coming for a 2 week visit on friday,they live in Vermilion Alberta,I really hope it will cool down some:fingerscr

Stacer
August 1st, 2006, 05:14 PM
Today for the first time we left the air conditioner on (on low) all day. We were more concerned for the cats cooped up in our little apartment, but coming home to a nice cool place wasn't too bad. I work outdoors all day in a tree nursery on bare dirt ground with heat reflecting up at me from every surface, it's absolutely nauseating, I've got a jug of water so big I can't even finish it, even on a day like today. I was bathed in a film of sweat for 8 hours straight, every article of clothing saturated. God, I need a new job. I want to be in that stream that Keeper is lounging in.

poodletalk
August 1st, 2006, 05:23 PM
I have a major head-ache :yuck:

Lise
August 1st, 2006, 05:46 PM
We just finished washing and filling horse trough with buckets, happy hprses two wet sweaty dead people.Even Tess and Nell abandoned us for inside!traitors!!

Maxine
August 1st, 2006, 06:19 PM
Sorry but im going to complain a lot now:sorry:

Im in a montreal apartment at the third floor (heat goes UP) and no AC. No breeze whatsoever because i have a patio door and I can't open the second one in the bedroom, i'm still waiting for my landlord to put Screens ( it's been 3 months and half and I can't do ***** about it)!!!
So I dont want my cats to go out by the emergency stairs in the back of the apartment, where the second patio door is situated.

So i'm here, in my birthday suit, taking a shower every hour or so. I wish I was at work (AC!!!!), but I dont work on tuesdays. My poor Lex is lying down in the washroom, the cats on the glass coffee table. I put a frozen towel :thumbs up on Lex every time I take a shower and I use ice cubes on my cats fur. (Yes, I roll it on them and they strech and purr ;) )

I think its the best I can do with the circumstances. Someone in my family died yesterday because of the hot weather ( he was old and weak from the heart :pray: :rip: ) I hate this situation so much!

MyBirdIsEvil
August 1st, 2006, 06:37 PM
For those of you working outside, remember not to just drink water, you should also drink gatorade or some kind of other sports drink that specifically has electrolytes added too it. Pedialyte also has electrolytes added too it.
If you drink too much water and sweat a lot you can deplete the sodium and potassium in your body which can lead to hyponatremia and hyperhydration.
This happened to my uncle once, and it can cause vomiting, dizzyness, loss of muscle control, fainting, stroke, and even death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Frenchy
August 1st, 2006, 06:47 PM
I've been using the ac in the car for the first time since saterday,today is the worst.I would invite everyone for a pool party but you all live so far away.And I don't have a BBQ.:sorry:

OntarioGreys
August 1st, 2006, 07:21 PM
I think its the best I can do with the circumstances. Someone in my family died yesterday because of the hot weather ( he was old and weak from the heart ) I hate this situation so much!

:sorry: :grouphug:
I expect this heatwave will claim several lives.

pitgrrl
August 1st, 2006, 07:35 PM
I'm actually ready to cry its so hot in montreal. The only thing that's worse is the impending thunder storm that will probably leave one of the dogs shaking in the bathtub........
I also think the dogs hate me, since we've probably been out for a total of an hour today, instead of their usual 4. I think it's time to move to Alaska.
Okay, I'm totally whining, sorry.

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 07:46 PM
Whine away! I think even the summer-lovers are suffering today. According to environment canada, we're at 44 with the humidex (111F).:eek:

But we can't even be glad that the thunder is coming (even without scaredy doggies) because behind it is more hot humid weather.

My doggies have been out for their bidness and that's it. Black doggies in the sunshine? No way.

heidiho
August 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM
Not much better here in MAUI IT IS ABOUT 86 DEGREES AND 60% HUMIDITIY,WE AHVE A WALL AIR CONDITIONER AND IT SUCKS OUR STUDIO BAKES ALL DAY ,NOT UNTIL THE SUN GOES DOWN DOES IT FEEL COOL INT THERE

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 08:40 PM
oooo the lights are really flickering here... :eek: Thunder is a-comin'! EEK!!!

catsnatcher-CDN
August 1st, 2006, 08:53 PM
Ya Prin!!!!

Here, the lightning is every few seconds. It's lighting up the house. And OMG the winds!!! But no rain yet..

I take that back it's not only pouring and thundering, but there's a 100 pound doberman trying to climb on my lap!

jesse's mommy
August 1st, 2006, 09:04 PM
Jesse (my little freak) actually has no problem with thunder at all. She will run from window to window barking at the thunder so the "intruder" doesn't get in. :o

Prin
August 2nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
back to coping with the heat... lol
And I shut off the A/C so we wouldn't get struck by lightning and/or power surges wouldn't kill it forever...
Prin is not on :cloud9: