Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tripett dog food?

SarahLynn123
August 1st, 2006, 01:48 PM
Any thoughts on this food? It seemed pretty good to me, and Belle loves it! She rolled in it of course, but I caught her in time and she only had it on the side of her face and ear, then she ate it up! She's generally really picky and hates everything so I was surprised at her reaction!

http://www.tripett.com/

Thanks
Sarah

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 01:50 PM
Oh, yeah, I feed that sometimes and they go crazy for it. The duck/salmon one isn't as smelly as the green one. ;)

It's not a food though, just a supplement to food (or so I'm told- it's not balanced enough to be a meal every day).
It's great though.

odindog
August 1st, 2006, 02:11 PM
Yes Prin, you are corrcet. Tripe is not a nutritional diet on its own. It is a wonderfull suplement, great for RAW dogs. You can buy tripe at your local RAW distributor, or in the "Tripett" brand cans. I prefer to avoid canned food at all costs. However,it is truly convient for RAW advocites like me, who have issuse keeping frozen food while on vaccation.
Another great grain free canned product is "Marricks" they make a large line of foods, dryand canned. I dont think their dry is all that well known. With names like "Grannys pot pie" and "Turducken" it is marketed more for the sappy pet purchaser. The canned foods have at least a dozen different flavors some with brown rice or barely, but for RAW lovers like me, they do have some with just veggies, or potaoes if your dog can handle that.
Have fun shopping for food!!!

Hey give RAW a try, if you think your dog is picky, there is no way you'll ever go back to that disgusting crap they call kibble, no matter what your on now, RAW is where its at!!! YAH!!

(pardon the spelling, Im a dog geek, not a computer wiz!!)

SarahLynn123
August 1st, 2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks, It is just to supplement, or rather to get her to eat! All my dogs are on raw right now and the other two are doing fantastic! She just doesn't care for any of it. She goes to her bowl, sniffs it, drops her head to the floor and sulks back to her chair. She looks so depressed! (She does this with kibble also) The only thing she likes is canned dog food

They didn't have any green tripe at the store I normally go to so I thought Id try this. I hear no dog can turn it down!

Thanks!
Sarah

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 07:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with canned, if she likes it and if it's not grocery store cans... Cans from companies like Merrick, Solid Gold, DVP (but not the eatables), Canidae, Innova, etc are great and should be balanced enough to replace kibble.:)

CharlesW
July 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM
hi ... I have 3 dogs, two Burnese Mountain Dogs and a Golden Retriever. All 3 love Tripe and Tripett blows away any other form of tripe I have tried to buy for them.
I called Tripett and asked why it is recommended as a supplement and not a whole food. They said most of their customers with either older dogs or puppies will exclusively feed their product but they will not market it as a whole food because they don't want to use any filler ingredients which would allow them to do so.
So pretty much there is no reason to suggest it as not a full diet seeing how dogs in the wild eat the stomachs of animals instinctively, it is simply just that they provide a pure food rather than something full of "vitamin packages" and "filler ingredients"... which my dogs appreciate.

kandy
July 6th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Just so you are aware, this thread is really old.

On the Trippets..............because it does not contain the minerals, nutrients, etc that have been identified as biologically necessary for a complete diet in dogs, legally they cannot list it as nutritionally complete. And even wolves in the wild will consume more than just the stomach and it's contents from their kills. I supplement with Tripett's canned green tripe but I would never recommend it as a stand alone diet for a dog.

bendyfoot
July 7th, 2009, 09:58 AM
ditto that. They would require other nutrients found in other organs as well as bones. It's a great supplement, but I treat it as an offal/protein part of their diet.

aslan
July 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I agree with bendy use it as part of a meal, not the whole meal. my finicky little &^%* went from not eating to you could put tripet's on a shoe and he'd eat it.
We basically put enough in his kibble to coat it well and he eats all of it. And mine rolled in it too.

bendyfoot
July 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM
oh my lord I think DW would DIE if one of ours rolled in that smelly nastiness!!! :eek::laughing:

kandy
July 7th, 2009, 01:07 PM
ACK! I think I would die if one of the dogs rolled in the stuff! I gag half the time I'm mixing it in their kibble anyway!

LOL @ putting it on a shoe. Too funny!

CharlesW
July 8th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I just love how this product is simple, and you know exactly what you are feeding your dog. No ingredients that leave you wondering what it possibly could be for.
If you want to talk about feeling sick, I used to get raw tripe from the butcher and handle it myself. disgusting stuff, so you can see I am happy to find Tripett

kandy
July 8th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I have looked at other brands of canned green tripe, and I like the Tripett's because it is only tripe & water.

I don't think my dogs would get tripe if I had to get it from the butcher. LOL

aslan
July 8th, 2009, 04:18 PM
like i said about my little pig, the worse it smells the more he likes it. As for rolling in it, if you look at my avatar, that is dirt on his muzzle, he doesn't have black markings.