Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

3 yr Old Jack Russell

Georgia/Buddy
August 1st, 2006, 12:48 PM
:dog: Hello
Last Saturday Buddy was playing in the back yard when he didnt come when I called I went to find him. He was sitting with his back legs stretched out behind him. When he tryed to walk his back end dragged behind him. Sunday I took him to the local hospital to have him looked at. After x-rays there was
no sign of injury just a disc in mid back that looked a little closer than the others. The Dr recommended we try a steroid intravenous for a few days. Aftwer 8 days of treatment Buddy has the use of 1 Leg and can hop for a little while before he becomes tired. They suggest we take him to a Neurologist and get more advice. I was told by a friend to maybe try a chiropractor ?? He has use of the upper half of his body but now is inconentent and cant feel when he needs the bathroom. To have an active dog just turn paralyzed seems rather hard to understand. Has anyone heard of anything like this and have advice what we may try.

mastifflover
August 1st, 2006, 01:14 PM
It sounds like a disc is out of place or compressed. I would find an animal massage therapist. They can work wonders. I have a friend who uses one in the US for her Mastiff who has hip problems she also uses a chiropracter and has found both have made a huge difference in her dogs movements and ease of getting up.

the gang
August 1st, 2006, 02:53 PM
try a chryo like your friend said, i know first hand 2 yrs ago my min pin became parillzed and boy oh boy let me tell you dakota is about 90% better, still walks with a limp and humindty bugs him he is 7 now, will never be 100% good luck keep us posted.:thumbs up